159     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 750     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 619     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
How likely is this process to continue? Are we going to see Ford loyalists pushed out of other City Council committees as well, or is this a one-time event?

Basically, is this a contained reaction to the "Gang of 5" firing of Gary Webster, or is this an early move in a more general campaign against the Ford forces in City Hall, as part of a broad move to wrest control over all aspects of policy from Ford?

Since word was already out prior to Webster getting fired that he was going to get fired, especially after he gave his advice before the Transit City vote and the other councillors must have realized it was doing to happen why did Stinz and company not put this motion (disbanding the TTC commission board) forth beforehand?

I think it would have been very hard politically for Stintz to dissolve the TTC board pre-emptively before the Webster firing. Immediately after the council vote restoring Transit City, it would have seemed like a naked power grab. By waiting until after Webster's firing, which made Ford look petty and the TTC board unwilling to cooperate with council's direction, a dissolution was sellable as a necessary practical step to move the TC agenda forward.

I think it would have been very hard politically for Stintz to dissolve the TTC board pre-emptively before the Webster firing. Immediately after the council vote restoring Transit City, it would have seemed like a naked power grab. By waiting until after Webster's firing, which made Ford look petty and the TTC board unwilling to cooperate with council's direction, a dissolution was sellable as a necessary practical step to move the TC agenda forward.
It's almost as if whoever is advising Ford sits there day-to-day and ask themselves what could they possibly do to alienate council the most. As unpopular as Ford is, the way deals get broken at the last minute, and the bizarre moves that serve only to drive people away, you almost have to think someone is engineering it. It's hard to believe that anyone could be that incompetent to make exactly the wrong moves at the wrong time to play into the opposition's hand.

I am constantly amazed at how phenomenally poor an in-office politician Ford is. However good he is at retail campaigning, he seems to completely lack the basic elements that make one effective and successful in governance.

It would not have taken much at all for Ford to capitalize on his election victory and, with a little coalition-building and backscratching, been able to accomplish everything he set out to do. His complete failure is a testament to his utter lack of political savvy.

It's almost as if whoever is advising Ford sits there day-to-day and ask themselves what could they possibly do to alienate council the most.

Yeah, I wonder who that could be? Perhaps the sibling rivalry thing is more complex than we imagine.

Not to generalize, but I wouldn't have thought a lesbian would be so dogmatic, ignorant, closed minded and stupid. These just aren't the traits one expects from someone who has to deal with personal challenges that aren't the norm.

I can see where you might think this. But it has nothing to do with being dogmatic, ignorant, closed minded and stupid....this is not affected by sexual orientation. Levy is of the "conservative-thinking" mind. This also has nothing to do with sexual orientation.

Where you get the impression the two shouldn't mix, is that generally speaking, it is that the majority of conservative-thinking minds who are against homosexuality, so as to be the natural enemy of such a marginalized group. We assume that such marginalized groups would be against conservative-thinking out of self-preservation. But this is Toronto, where it isn't such a marginalized thing.

It's also about politics, which very often trumps all else. I'm sure Ford feels homosexuality is "wrong", but is going to overlook that because of popular opinion on the topic, and the fact that a political ally is more important than those feelings.

That is why the conservative-thinking mind is such a deplorable and dangerous thing.

Upcoming allegations of Rob Ford campaign involvement in Robocalls?

How do I phrase this without getting into legal trouble?...

The below comments are not accusations, only a set of questions that have come up in conversation with a reliable source at City Hall:

1 - What would happen if the Robocall scandal made a connection with Rob Ford's Toronto election campaign?

2 - What if Rob Ford's campaign used similar vote suppression tactics?

It appears that perhaps soon, the LRT vs Subway debate is going to become the least of Rob Ford's problems.

Actually, to direct things sorta-yet-not-really-away from Ford proper, I find it odd that the name Nick Kouvalis hasn't been invoked relative to Robocalls--surely, that kind of modus operandi would be up his alley...

It's known that Kouvalis was behind the Irwin Cotler calls, and it has been widely suggested that Kouvalis has had a hand in at least some of the Federal Robocall issues. Then, of course, there's the Kouvalis-directed call to John Tory's show to manipulate him into explicitly negating the possibility of a mayoral candidacy.

All in all, I would not be at all surprised to learn that Kouvalis has misused telephones for electoral campaigns in other ways, and since he was Ford's chief campaign strategist, it woud not surprise me to learn that he honed his craft on the Ford Campaign.

Actually, to direct things sorta-yet-not-really-away from Ford proper, I find it odd that the name Nick Kouvalis hasn't been invoked relative to Robocalls--surely, that kind of modus operandi would be up his alley...

Bingo.

It's known that Kouvalis was behind the Irwin Cotler calls, and it has been widely suggested that Kouvalis has had a hand in at least some of the Federal Robocall issues. Then, of course, there's the Kouvalis-directed call to John Tory's show to manipulate him into explicitly negating the possibility of a mayoral candidacy.

All in all, I would not be at all surprised to learn that Kouvalis has misused telephones for electoral campaigns in other ways, and since he was Ford's chief campaign strategist, it woud not surprise me to learn that he honed his craft on the Ford Campaign.

Yahtzee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back