393     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 550     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 887     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question to all of this is why wasn't the media howling yesterday when Ford made those outrageous, disjointed remarks?
Worse, the lazy broadcast media give solid airtime to Ford's remarks, without comment. They were probably on regular repeat all day yesterday on CP24, along with the colourful blathering of a few crazed supporters. It's the way Ford's outrage antics have controlled the message throughout the last campaign and his term. But can the lazy media really be blamed? In his dysfunctional destructive way Ford is far more the leader than any of the others. "Chocolates! From Holt Renfrew!" or "There could be violence" seems to inspire action. Far better TV than the mealy-mouthed "We and Gene have come to a mutual agreement. We like to give him $200,000 and thank him for his service.", or Anna Bailio's "We have a strong board and we're moving ahead." And if they went to John Tory or Olivia Chow for comment? Expect more of that.

Is the goal now for Rob to suggest Ford Nation (what's left of it) will morph into some kind of demented destructive force? A summer of pedestrians being randomly shot, cars overturned and set on fire, maybe an old fashioned Watts riot? Dangerous BS.

From the Star article above: In essence, Ford was suggesting his druglord friends, his crackhead compatriots in Etobicoke, and the malleable masses could rise up and raise holy hell because the “corrupt” city was sticking it to them once again.

More colossal missteps. He sent out an official email asking people to show up and defend Gene Jones. Now he's close to rabblerousing.

Toronto is a big city. There's going to be shootings, stabbings etc. no matter what. They will never end. If Ford comes out after any future incidents and says that it happened because Jones is no more (and we all know he will do that), I hope people will call him out on his bullshit.

I was watching video of Ford's scrum at the TCHC HQ yesterday (http://www.cp24.com/news/gene-jones-no-longer-head-of-tchc-1.1792091) and it's quite amazing how big his ego is. "The ombudsman, she's the one who should resign. She's the one who's political. You can only....you know, I feel sorry for this man (Jones). He's come up, he's made a huge change, he's helped out the tenants. I'm in there every day and the poor tenants are the ones that are gonna be affected by this. I'm gonna continue going there and fight for the tenants. But this is one of the worst days, one of the worst days in Toronto's history, losing a man of his calibre." He manages to sneak how great he is into his remarks.

I just came on to post that scathing piece, but had to get through two days of posts first. My question to all of this is why wasn't the media howling yesterday when Ford made those outrageous, disjointed remarks? And shut down that piece of drama that was crying over Jones departure after Ford's statement.

One reporter actually said the same thing yet nobody interrupted. It's very frustrating.

Last edited:
Worse, the lazy broadcast media give solid airtime to Ford's remarks, without comment. They were probably on regular repeat all day yesterday on CP24, along with the colourful blathering of a few crazed supporters. It's the way Ford's outrage antics have controlled the message throughout the last campaign and his term. But can the lazy media really be blamed?
After Ford made the remarks in his scrum about shootings and Danzig, did the media follow up on that? Did the media ask him to explain what he means by what he said? Did they challenge his remarks? Nope. The next question was "Do you know the new CEO?". Ugh. Seriously, media?

Toronto is a big city. There's going to be shootings, stabbings etc. no matter what. They will never end. If Ford comes out after any future incidents and says that it happened because Jones is no more (and we all know he will do that), I hope people will call him out on his bullshit.

I was watching video of Ford's scrum at the TCHC HQ yesterday (http://www.cp24.com/news/gene-jones-no-longer-head-of-tchc-1.1792091) and it's quite amazing how big his ego is. "The ombudsman, she's the one who should resign. She's the one who's political. You can only....you know, I feel sorry for this man (Jones). He's come up, he's made a huge change, he's helped out the tenants. I'm in there every day and the poor tenants are the ones that are gonna be affected by this. I'm gonna continue going there and fight for the tenants. But this is one of the worst days, one of the worst days in Toronto's history, losing a man of his calibre." He manages to sneak how great he is into his remarks.

Because that's how mobsters who think they are "untouchable" talk!

I suppose all great men don't know how to follow HR rules.

AoD

I receive The comment about violence similar to Danzig occurring because Jones is gone, a valid threat by hizzonor!

What's he gonna do........send his Dixon Bloods crew on a raid all summer!

Worse, the lazy broadcast media give solid airtime to Ford's remarks, without comment. They were probably on regular repeat all day yesterday on CP24, along with the colourful blathering of a few crazed supporters. It's the way Ford's outrage antics have controlled the message throughout the last campaign and his term. But can the lazy media really be blamed? In his dysfunctional destructive way Ford is far more the leader than any of the others. "Chocolates! From Holt Renfrew!" or "There could be violence" seems to inspire action. Far better TV than the mealy-mouthed "We and Gene have come to a mutual agreement. We like to give him $200,000 and thank him for his service.", or Anna Bailio's "We have a strong board and we're moving ahead." And if they went to John Tory or Olivia Chow for comment? Expect more of that.

I realized how bad this effect was the other day when in line at a restaurant. The TV screen was playing CP24 on mute, and on a day when Executive Committee voted to turn down a huge raise, the headline playing silently for all the restaurant to see was "City Council votes itself a raise." ...but they voted to keep the same one they get every year in line with cost of living instead of raising it!

If Ford opponents don't come out against and offer a good, soundbite-y rebuttal to his insane points, he runs the message.

Ugh, I just recently got a new job and even though they interviewed only me, and knew they wanted to hire me, their damn contract still says I have to provide two references. You know how hard it is to track down references in my industry? People move around all the damn time and don't really care to answer emails and phone calls. Even though they know they want to hire me, they still have to follow their own rules and get those references.

Even if Jones wanted to hire his own people without the proper process, the least he could have done is follow the rules... :p Funny that Ford defends that.

I receive The comment about violence similar to Danzig occurring because Jones is gone, a valid threat by hizzonor!

What's he gonna do........send his Dixon Bloods crew on a raid all summer!

He has to do something - we've just attacked Kuwait!
He warned us. He warned us. He warned us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back