259     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 968     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 558     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
In other news, the mayor prevented a huge city worker strike today. Something Miller failed miserably at. Just one more thing UT will never give him credit for. :)

Look, until Toronto property taxes are *at least* in line with the rest of the GTA, there is no reasonable discussion to be had about wholesale budget cuts.
my taxes on my semi are higher than for a comparable home in the rest of the GTA. I'm not talking tax rate, but total tax bill. That's the true comparison number that home owners look at, not the tax mill rate or percentage.

It makes sense that cities in the GTA with lower house valuations have higher mill rates, since they need a high total tax bill for the house in question. Toronto achieves this by having high property valuations, so we can have lower mill rates while still returning higher total tax dollars to the city for a similar sized home in Mississauga.

Last edited:
In other news, the mayor prevented a huge city worker strike today.
Sure, by offering them more $ than they were asking for. I'm sure for the pro-union folks like you that's a good thing.

Something Miller failed miserably at...
Surely that means that Miller was pushing for more concessions than the Union was willing to take than Ford was.

Personally I'm tired of Ford's pro-union attitude. He rolled over on the police union's demand, giving them everything. He made the TTC an essential service, guaranteeing he can never get any future concessions. And now he's paid off the outside workers by increasing their salary more than what they were asking for, in exchange for being able to lay more people off ... good grief, in the long-term he'd have made more by pushing them on salary, and letting attrition reduce the size of the work force.

So, er, what do you people think(!) should be done about Toronto's massive budget problems, that Ford was elected to fix? Before Torontonians actually found out they might have to pay for what they use?
False budget problems. Is it not a surplus?

In other news, the mayor prevented a huge city worker strike today. Something Miller failed miserably at. Just one more thing UT will never give him credit for. :)

Thats because if they did not each an agreement and their contract expired, the city could then implement automatically changes in work conditions. They were up against a wall

I've been thinking a lot about this poll (yeah, I know, it's the Toronto Sun, grain of salt etc etc)

Stintz 44; Ford 40. And in a 3-way, Ford 37, Vaughan 30, Stintz 18.

But thinking about it, if Vaughan does so much better than Stintz in a 3-way (and by taking 3% of the Mayor's share), how might he do in a straight 2-way....or if not Vaughan, a more conciliatory downtown-lefty such as Wong-Tam...

my taxes on my semi are higher than for a comparable home in the rest of the GTA. I'm not talking tax rate, but total tax bill. That's the true comparison number that home owners look at, not the tax mill rate or percentage.

It makes sense that cities in the GTA with lower house valuations have higher mill rates, since they need a high total tax bill for the house in question. Toronto achieves this by having high property valuations, so we can have lower mill rates while still returning higher total tax dollars to the city for a similar sized home in Mississauga.

Your personal anecdote aside, it is statistically true that not only is a comparibly priced home taxed less in Toronto than in the GTA, but a "comparible home" is also taxed less (even though the value of that house would obviously be less than the comparable one inside Toronto). This was from a torstar article last year - I'll see if I can dig it up.

I'll give him credit for it - but it's literally the only thing Ford was likely to be successful at (since he was not elected on the backs of the unions)

There should be logic applied to the tax/spend situation

If he was elected to fix the massive budget problems, why did he cut the Vehicle Registration Tax and threaten to cut the Land Transfer Tax, both moves which make the budget problem worse?

The vehicle registration tax and land transfer taxes were "pile on" taxes designed to bleed people more than should be allowed. We already pay for licenses, we pay sales taxes on cars, we pay 2 different (amounting to 35% of cost) gasoline taxes and we pay gas guzzler taxes on cars. How much more is enough before people start cutting spending?

False budget problems. Is it not a surplus?

Only in the minds of people who think money sprouts from the ground. Toronto and (worse) Ontario are running huge deficits and are in big trouble, thanks to years of unbridled spending. Blame the Feds and lack of sufficient transfer payments if you like, but it's real.

The vehicle registration tax and land transfer taxes were "pile on" taxes designed to bleed people more than should be allowed. We already pay for licenses, we pay sales taxes on cars, we pay 2 different (amounting to 35% of cost) gasoline taxes and we pay gas guzzler taxes on cars. How much more is enough before people start cutting spending?
Problem is not one of those taxes you cite goes to the city. The vehicle tax was what ... $5 a month? It's hard to take the whining about that too seriously given that we are having transit riders pay about $125 a month. The city pays far more than $5 a month on maintaining roads for people to drive cars ... why shouldn't people who drive cars pay for what they use?

Hey, if the gasoline taxes paid for roads and not welfare, we'd have great roads!

Problem is not one of those taxes you cite goes to the city. The vehicle tax was what ... $5 a month? It's hard to take the whining about that too seriously given that we are having transit riders pay about $125 a month. The city pays far more than $5 a month on maintaining roads for people to drive cars ... why shouldn't people who drive cars pay for what they use?

If they don't (and I believe they do, via gasoline taxes) then yes, they should. But now we get into a tough area because most of the real damage to roads is done by vehicles that weight more than 12,000lbs, cars contribute very little. So, what should we do, start billing trucking companies, couriers, etc., for all the road repairs?

If they don't (and I believe they do, via gasoline taxes) then yes, they should.
Gasoline taxes go to the province, and go to general revenue. If you take the total square feet of paved roads in the City of Toronto, you'll find that the vast majority is not maintained by the province.

I'm tired of driver's getting a free ride at the city's expense. $100 a month would seem reasonable to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back