News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 612     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just have to share a fun anecdote with you from this morning:

While taking my 3yo son to school, we saw a whole bunch of police cars, firetrucks, etc. Flashing lights...sirens...all that fun stuff.

My son said, "Maybe they're catching bad guys. Maybe they're catching Rob Ford in a net."

He's the new Metroman, apparently.

Rob was fine with Ben being part of the team, Doug was pretty aggressive in his distancing / diminishing any relationship to/with Ben.

I would guess they would prefer Ben not to be trapped into a position of having to articulate WHY he intends to vote ( assuming he is eligible in this election? ) for Rob.

It sounds like all he said yesterday was something like, "full support". That's probably enough. Looks like he was paraded as a prop only, rather than a spokesperson for the campaign.

Last edited:
Unless he is Doug's lapdog, not Rob's. Rob was fine with Ben being part of the team, Doug was pretty aggressive in his distancing / diminishing any relationship to/with Ben.

Watched video of the announcement this morning on the morning news and Doug was standing in the office doorway, RIGHT BEHIND THEM! That to me says he knows exactly what Rob said, exactly who these people were and why they were there and was fully on board.

Re MM, I prefer Jimmi. Short, informative, qualified posts, no sensationalizing. Immediate clear idea of how trustworthy the information is.

Re MM, I prefer Jimmi. Short, informative, qualified posts, no sensationalizing. Immediate clear idea of how trustworthy the information is.

That's how I feel. Jimmi has never been far from the mark. I almost think of this thread as consisting of news releases, twitter links, and Jimmi T's comments, with massive quantities of wisecracking and gossip to fill the gaps between them. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Watched video of the announcement this morning on the morning news and Doug was standing in the office doorway, RIGHT BEHIND THEM! That to me says he knows exactly what Rob said, exactly who these people were and why they were there and was fully on board.

My sense is that Doug, who has never run a campaign before, and his brother (who is an addict) come up with crack-pot ideas every now and again, trial balloon them and see what the reaction is. Once people are disgusted by their tricks (you're pimping out your daughter!) Doug goes into victimization territory and tries to distance himself from it and blame the media.

Connect the dots folks. Connect the dots folks.

Under city rules, Ford is not allowed to use his office for campaign purposes.
It was Tarasco who set up the meeting. He works for an events company called The Substance Group, which wanted to recruit Ford for a mystery project it is planning with Johnson. Tarasco is from Etobicoke and has mutual friends with Ford, and he served as a conduit to the mayor’s office.
Ford and Johnson got along well, said Substance Group owner Neil Forester, who was present. “As we obviously got to talking about the project, personal lives come out, all that kind of stuff, and they seemed to kind of bond,” Forester said.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...trailer_park_boys_actor_to_campaign_team.html

Firstly, the Johnson "endorsement" was provided by a pr firm, completely fabricated. Secondly, how does this explain the campaign work on city property? Doesn't it really just imply that they were doing even more campaign work at city hall?

So I've done some proper investigative journalism in my day, and you quickly realize the rules are less a moral issue about Truth and Goodness, and more about ensuring you keep getting work. There's nothing worse than being a journalist who's written something false or jumped the gun on a major story.

You can avoid a lot of grief just by waiting. There are some huge, HUGE stories I've either had to delay to the point where I've been scooped, or have never published, because I can't get secondary confirmation. That is everything. And you should always pressure for on the record quotes wherever possible. This is like solid gold.

A lot of journalists will act holier than thou in the Twitter age when these rules are violated, but many of them are hypocrites. They'd love to dive in the muck, but if they did they'd lose their jobs. For them it's a career, for Twitterers it's a hobby.

I can't speak to MetroMan, but when you become a trusted publisher of secret info, it can go to your head. You feel you need to keep pumping out information, because that's what you're known for. Far better to just wait until you have as clear as an idea as you can, and always, ALWAYS cover your ass in caveats. I think MM's "search warrant" info is credible, but his real time reporting sucks the bag.

But as soon as Doug got in front of the mic he was luke-warm at best, by the time he was on with Worms he was denying any connection at all. Social media, Twitter especially was nearly universally surprised by Ben having anything to do with them, and it wasn't long before the jokes were flying. It wasn't going to work, even with Ford Nation, so *poof* never happened.

My sense is that Doug, who has never run a campaign before, and his brother (who is an addict) come up with crack-pot ideas every now and again, trial balloon them and see what the reaction is. Once people are disgusted by their tricks (you're pimping out your daughter!) Doug goes into victimization territory and tries to distance himself from it and blame the media.

this as well.

As crazy as it sounds, this theory feels right. We need to take note the next time he blames hackers.

I think Doug actually said: Put the dots together.
He can't even get a simple saying right.

If you are looking to quote DoFo, then it is “Folks, put the dots together”.

Passive aggressiveness, from day one, the Fords went after The Star right away to look the victims of a liberal media. It not just hypocritical to bring up their own families, but to use them in such a manner is just as "immoral" as they accuse others of doing. If the Fords use certain tools than they should not be so vocal when others use the same tools against them.

Last edited:
But as soon as Doug got in front of the mic he was luke-warm at best, by the time he was on with Worms he was denying any connection at all. Social media, Twitter especially was nearly universally surprised by Ben having anything to do with them, and it wasn't long before the jokes were flying. It wasn't going to work, even with Ford Nation, so *poof* never happened.

"Folks, we've always been at war with Eastasia!"

Floats through my mind every time Doug disavows something.

I just have to share a fun anecdote with you from this morning:

While taking my 3yo son to school, we saw a whole bunch of police cars, firetrucks, etc. Flashing lights...sirens...all that fun stuff.

My son said, "Maybe they're catching bad guys. Maybe they're catching Rob Ford in a net."

He's the new Metroman, apparently.

LOL! Your 3 yr old is very smart, way ahead of Ford Nayshun!:))

If you are looking to quote DoFo, then it is “Folks, put the dots together”.

Thank you to those who 'correct' the real phrases with the RoFo/DoFo manglings...I have trouble remembering them and since I am hoping to use them in conversation, it helps to keep them fresh. Btw, this one above is a favourite. Cracks my family up every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back