5K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 709     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out Jeet Heer on Twitter for some thoughts on Robbie's 'gangster' style of governance. Must-read.

It sums Ford up perfectly. His exchange of little favors for support is exactly what organized crime does. And his appeal to people who are mistrustful of institutionalized authority lines up too. Throw in the drugs, threats and violence, and you have a crime boss as Mayor. I'd say Ford was a lot like John Gotti, but from what we know about Robbie's intellect, I suppose I'd have to put him a lot closer to Gotti Jr.

Geez - Ford on CP24 doing the "Clean Toronto" launch - and he's in the spirit with both sides of his collar trying to take flight. What a slob.

I hope Ford is as miserable at this year's "Clean Toronto" as he was at last year's.

you know people dont support ford because they like him. They support ford because they hate you.

Yes, 100% true. They might not even like the man (some do, they find him a 'friendly' man), but when you look at comments around the city, it's all about sticking a knife into the left, or about seeing the left squirm, etc.

On a side note, the Riviera Parque Banquet & Convention Centre where Ford is holding his fundraiser is aparently owned by Mario Cortellucci, who also owns lands around the Hearn. Guess why Doug was trying to sell off Portland land?

Article on the Fundraiser:
http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha..._first_big_fundraiser_is_set_for_vaughan.html

As noted here:
Developer Mario Cortellucci, together with various relatives and individuals who listed his company's premises on their donor forms, contributed $30,000 to the mayor's campaign, about half of which was raised following the election as part of a multi-candidate effort to eliminate campaign deficits. He also secured a private meeting with Rob Ford, according to scheduling documents released under access to information laws.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-waterfront-real-estate-begins/article578177/

I hope Gangster Mayor sticks. Part of the thing about the capos is they almost never go down. Gangster mayor. That's what he is.

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 5m
Mayor Rob Ford predicts the @bluejays will beat the Yankees tonight. He'll be at the game #TOpoli
pic.twitter.com/qKnnDZwTma

guess there will be lots of photos on twitter/instagram tonight :rolleyes:

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 5m
Mayor Rob Ford predicts the @bluejays will beat the Yankees tonight. He'll be at the game #TOpoli
pic.twitter.com/qKnnDZwTma

guess there will be lots of photos on twitter/instagram tonight :rolleyes:

That means the Jays are going to lose. :( My husband will be there tonight, I'll advise him to have his phone at the ready!

It sums Ford up perfectly. His exchange of little favors for support is exactly what organized crime does. And his appeal to people who are mistrustful of institutionalized authority lines up too. Throw in the drugs, threats and violence, and you have a crime boss as Mayor. I'd say Ford was a lot like John Gotti, but from what we know about Robbie's intellect, I suppose I'd have to put him a lot closer to Gotti Jr.
Ford Fest is basically a small Mafia-organized neighbourhood BBQ on steroids.

That means the Jays are going to lose. :( My husband will be there tonight, I'll advise him to have his phone at the ready!
Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 1m
FYI #Toronto: Mayor Rob Ford told reporters he's going to the @mapleleafs game tomorrow night #TOpoli pic.twitter.com/io7SrBISOl

so end of the road for playoff hopes, too :(

Why was Rob Ford allowed into the U.S., but celebrity chef Nigella Lawson was not? See link.

Ford can cross the border, but not Nigella? TV co-host outraged

Questions are being raised once again about why Toronto Mayor Rob Ford was allowed to enter the United States after admitting he smoked crack cocaine.

There was fresh criticism for the United States Customs and Border Protection Thursday as Anthony Bourdain tweeted that his The Taste cooking competition co-host Nigella Lawson was not allowed on a flight from London to Los Angeles.

“Toronto mayor, Rob Ford? Welcome to the USA. Nigella Lawson? No. REALLY? Absolutely appalling misuse of our system. And by whom? How?†Mr. Bourdain tweeted Thursday. The tweet received over 800 retweets and 600 favourites.

Last year, Ms. Lawson admitted occasional cocaine use. The U.S. Embassy confirmed that she was denied permission to board a flight to the United States over the weekend but did not say why she was not allowed in the country.

U.S. authorities can deny entry for many reasons, including drug use.

In a blanket statement about the entry of non-U.S. citizens who have admitted drug use, Customs and Border Protection said, “While we are not at liberty to discuss an individual’s processing due to the Privacy Act, our CBP officers are charged with enforcing not only immigration and customs laws, but they also enforce over 400 laws for 40 other agencies and have stopped thousands of violators of U.S. law.â€

Last month, Mr. Ford travelled to Hollywood, ostensibly to bring in business for Toronto`s film industry. He also appeared on Jimmy Kimmel’s late-night talk show.

Toronto Police spokesman Mark Pugash would not comment on the probe involving Mr. Ford or whether he had been contacted by border authorities, saying: “We do not discuss ongoing investigations.â€

With a report from Ann Hui and files from The Associated Press

No, it's not plausible at all, unless you have a 13 year old's understanding of the world based on watching too many PG crime movies. No one would care if such a video existed and any lawyer who brought it forward would immediately be the subject of a complaint to the Law Society and suspended, if not disbarred. The video has no value at all as a bargaining chip, except with respect to Rob Ford and politics.

Nowhere was it asserted that such a thing would happen, (likely for the reasons you state). Rather, in the mind of the person in possession of the recording, (Who may or may not "have a 13 year old's understanding of the world based on watching too many PG crime movies") it could or might, happen. Thus, a plausible motive other than extortion. Which was the point, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back