News   Jul 17, 2024
 954     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 558     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comments from the Sun:

Some could argue that the policies of these communists will lead to mass murder of the people. What makes Toronto communists any different than Stalin??????

Need I say more? I guess that's the inevitable outcome of branding someone "far left" without knowing what it actually meant.

AoD

Last edited:
It would be nice if the Sun were to stop acting like a yappy defensive lapdog for the mayor. Not going to happen though.

On the other hand, I wish him and his brother all the best in shedding a significant amount of pounds. Good on him for trying. Takes balls to do it in public. But most other aspects of his political life look like a train wreck in slow motion. Branding councillors who don't go his way "two steps left of Stalin" is absurdly immature.

It would be nice if the Sun were to stop acting like a yappy defensive lapdog for the mayor. Not going to happen though.

On the other hand, I wish him and his brother all the best in shedding a significant amount of pounds. Good on him for trying. Takes balls to do it in public. But most other aspects of his political life look like a train wreck in slow motion. Branding councillors who don't go his way "two steps left of Stalin" is absurdly immature.

No, the kind of conclusion I'd like to see for Ford starts with, "one more bite, wafer thin..."

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...l-service-120124/20120124/?hub=TorontoNewHome

Yesterday the city's Executive Committee had an opportunity to immediately request the province to declare EMS an essential service. They declined and instead referred the motion, pending a staff report outlining the "pros and cons" of such a decision.

Essentially they want the opportunity to gut our contract this round before this goes any further.

"Ford’s mouth has got him in trouble before. In 2008 he angered Toronto’s Asian community after telling council “Oriental people work like dogs.”

I love how The Star makes claims on behalf of others. It seems to me that this particular comment angered white liberals more than it did Oriental people. I don't recall many Orientals raising hell over that comment. It wasn't phrased very well, but why would people get upset over something which was clearly meant to be compliment? Would it have been better if he said, many or some of them work like dogs and some of them nap like dogs (i.e. are lazy)? It's ridiculous how sensitive many people on the left are. And no, I don't support Ford.

"Ford’s mouth has got him in trouble before. In 2008 he angered Toronto’s Asian community after telling council “Oriental people work like dogs.”

I love how The Star makes claims on behalf of others. It seems to me that this particular comment angered white liberals more than it did Oriental people. I don't recall many Orientals raising hell over that comment. It wasn't phrased very well, but why would people get upset over something which was clearly meant to be compliment? Would it have been better if he said, many or some of them work like dogs and some of them nap like dogs (i.e. are lazy)? It's ridiculous how sensitive many people on the left are. And no, I don't support Ford.

It seems we need to revisit the incident, since your memory is a bit hazy:

Toronto councillor apologizes for 'Orientals' comment
Last Updated: Monday, March 31, 2008 | 1:13 PM ET CBC News

Toronto city councillor Rob Ford has formally apologized for remarks he made earlier this month that many said were disparaging toward Asians — but not before enflaming the situation with more poorly timed comments.

"The Oriental people, they're slowly taking over … they're hard, hard workers," Ford, who represents Ward 2 in Etobicoke, said during a council debate on March 5.

"Those Oriental people work like dogs. They work their hearts out. … They sleep beside their machines. That's why they're successful in life."

He argued his comments were meant as a compliment and made several attempts to put the controversy behind him.

But Asian groups, angered at the stereotyping and racist overtones, asked for a formal apology.

On Monday, Coun. Adam Vaughn of Ward 20 in downtown Toronto presented a petition signed by 260 residents in his ward demanding an apology. Speaker Sandra Bussin ruled that Ford must retract his comments and apologize.

But before he apologized, Ford cited numerous references to the world "Oriental" in popular culture — including an ad for corn starch in a supermarket flyer that promotes "Oriental-flavoured 100 per cent corn starch."

He suggested there is nothing wrong with the term.

"At no time did I ever offend the Asian community by giving them a compliment. What I might have done is refer to them as 'Orientals' and that, I did not know, was a racist comment. I should have said 'Asian.'

Ford, who last week was charged with assault and uttering a death threat in relation to a domestic dispute, ultimately did say "sorry," in a low quiet voice. His apology was accepted by council.

Ford has said he will plead not guilty to the criminal charges when he appears in court on April 28.

Ford has made headlines as a fiscally prudent councillor who has a reputation for making off-the-cuff and often controversial comments.

He's also drawn heat over the years for calling Coun. Gloria Lindsay Luby a "waste of skin" and Coun. Giorgio Mammoliti a "Gino-Boy."

He did eventually apologize for causing a drunken disturbance during a Toronto Maple Leafs hockey game in 2006, when he shouted out comments like "you right-wing Communist bastards."

Did Ford anger Toronto's Asian community? It seems he did, and then apologized for having done so.

Great article. My comment on this:

In short, Rob Ford is no longer running the city. He's Mayor in title only. The true Mayor of this city -- the one setting policy direction -- is going to emerge in the form of whoever is leading the Mighty Middle. I have a feeling that's going to be Josh Matlow.

Matlow is a consensus builder and refuses to talk bad about the Mayor (or anybody in fact) despite having been given many reasons and opportunities to do so. He's been the true centrist in all of this and has a voice to reach Toronto through his radio show. City Council needs somebody to bring all duly elected councillors and their ideas together into a compromise policy. Ford has failed over and over to do so. Josh Matlow has been stellar in that regard.

The next 3 years are not going to be so bad after all. The cherry on top will come if Ford just resigns. Doug has already given indications that he may not finish his term. Rob in turn, is a lame duck Mayor with 70% of his term left to go. If nobody's listening to him, what's he still doing there?

It seems we need to revisit the incident, since your memory is a bit hazy:

Did Ford anger Toronto's Asian community? It seems he did, and then apologized for having done so.

What Asian groups? Does that refer to the 260 residents in Adam Vaughan's ward or something else? That hardly constitutes as "Toronto's Asian community." If that's all, that's peanuts compared to the Oriental population in Toronto. It appears the majority weren't offended, otherwise I think there would have been a huge outrage. And what exactly is offensive about the term Oriental? What is negative about it? It's an accurate term as it refers to a geographical location. The term, Asian is so broad. That could refer to someone from Japan or Saudi Arabia. People get their briefs in knots over such trivial issues like this. Those other quotes were pretty stupid, but so what. I don't understand why offended people demand apologies. How insecure can someone get? Are their feelings forever crushed over some poorly put words? Some people need to develop a backbone and let things go. We've all been verbally abused, far greater than this, by many individuals in our lives. I would never demand that someone apologize to me for anything.

Not sure why Gord is pursuing this ... Rob Ford did apologize in Council for the remarks. Given no one makes him do anything he doesn't want to do, he clearly felt he had made an inappropriate comment.

What next, are you going to find excuses for his homophobic comments and alcoholism?

Great article. My comment on this:

"Matlow is a consensus builder and refuses to talk bad about the Mayor (or anybody in fact) despite having been given many reasons and opportunities to do so." This is funny. Your logic is that two wrongs make a right? What does getting personal achieve, other than satisfying a vindictive urge? Good for Matlow for not resorting to the same low many of you on this board steep to and justify when it comes to Ford bashing. Getting personal doesn't solve anything and it discredits any value that your arguments may contain. If you want to appear as though you're above Ford's stupidity, then prove it with intelligent discourse, free of jabs at his weight, social awkwardness, etc. Justifying insults because 'he started it' is what I'd expect from a child, not well spoken adults. It just shows that many of you are just as logically inept as Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back