News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 645     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly in trouble with the Conflict of Interest rules

A conflict of interest refers to a situation in which private interests or personal considerations may affect an employee's judgement in acting in the best interest of the City of Toronto. It includes using an employee's position, confidential information or corporate time, material or facilities for private gain or advancement or the expectation of private gain or advancement. A conflict may occur when an interest benefits any member of the employee's family, friends or business associates.

Outside Work or Business Activities
Employees may not engage in any outside work or business activity:

(a) that conflict with their duties as city employees;
(b) which use their knowledge of confidential plans, projects or information about holdings of the corporation; and
(c) that will, or is likely to, negatively influence or affect them in carrying out their duties as city employees.

Using City Property
Employees may not use, or permit the use of, items of city property, facilities, equipment, supplies or other resources for activities not associated with their work. Any exceptions to this must be expressly approved by either Council or the Deputy City Manager of the affected division.

Seems that document supports what I said. Outside of the specific positions listed, outside of working hours it's fair game as long as they don't use City resources or use their position (or uniform) to imply they are representing the City.

These people must really love Rob to do this for him...

They either love him or he's paying them out of pocket.

Still 2h30 for my day on the pool to be picked! Go TPS!!! I still believe!

Not Gonna Happen

If Rub is going to continue these debates where everyday citizens can ask questions here are a few I would suggest:

1. According to police past staffers were asked to procure liquor for you while on the taxpayers clock, is this your idea of "watching every dollar"?

2. Your brother claims you are the "most honest politician" so why are you unwilling to answer police questions regarding your association with murder victims, convicted criminals and people scooped up in raids that netted large quantities of guns and drugs?

3. 911 has been called from your home over two dozen times, do you think there should be a user fee associated with those that exceed a certain level to reduce the taxpayer burden on the service?

4. You said you had a "Come to Jesus" moment when discussing your problem with alcohol, are you sure you weren't "speaking in tongues" when you were filmed at Steak Queen?

5. Being that you don't attend the Pride parade and have been filmed offering rants against homosexuals don't you find it odd your go to place has the name Steak Queen? Obviously if you are meeting in a restaurant then you don't get enough to eat at home?

6. Why does a Mayor need the "best criminal" lawyer?

7. Is Jimmy Kimmel starting to piss you off yet?

8. Are most of your addiction issues related to your brother being more popular because he was a big time hash dealer in high school or is it because your dad died?

9. What message would you have for kids regarding drugs?

10. What should we do about those "fucking immigrants" you mumbled about in the crack video?

Last edited:
Not Gonna Happen

If Rub is going to continue these debates where everyday citizens can ask questions here are a few I would suggest:

1. According to police past staffers were asked to procure liquor for you while on the taxpayers clock, is this your idea of "watching every dollar"?

2. Your brother claims you are the "most honest politician" so why are you unwilling to answer police questions regarding your association with murder victims, convicted criminals and people scooped up in raids that netted large quantities of guns and drugs?

3. 911 has been called from your home over two dozen times, do you think there should be a user fee associated with those that exceed a certain level to reduce the taxpayer burden on the service?

4. You said you had a "Come to Jesus" moment when discussing your problem with alcohol, are you sure you weren't "speaking in tongues" when you were filmed at Steak Queen?

5. Being that you don't attend the Pride parade and have been filmed offering rants against homosexuals don't you find it odd your go to place has the name Steak Queen? Obviously if you are meeting in a restaurant then you don't get enough to eat at home?

6. Why does a Mayor need the "best criminal" lawyer?

7. Is Kimmy Kimmel starting to piss you off yet?

8. Are most of your addiction issues related to your brother being more popular because he was a big time hash dealer in high school or is it because your dad died?

9. What message would you have for kids regarding drugs?

10. What should we do about those "fucking immigrants" you mumbled about in the crack video?

8 is my favorite.

8 is my favorite.

Wow. How could Rob not go ballistic to that one. That would be something.

Edit: if he could hold it together, though, he'd really be able to lay down a big fat "victim" card. Play up his story as one of overcoming adversity to serve the taxpayer. Gotta be careful with this stuff.

Last edited:
How will it be dealt with? I guess my point is that there doesn't seem to actually BE any meaningful penalties for any of these infractions. They all seem to exist on the honour system... and the Ford's have none.

If rules don't have penalties for non-compliance they may as well not exist.

Exactly, what's the point of having any rules at all, if they are voluntary? If you can break the rules and get away with it, I don't see a point in having them. Only the corrupt and those without a conscience, will break those rules and have an unfair advantage. Toothless laws and rules are a waste of time and a complete farce.

(I'll also just add: I have friends on Facebook or Twitter etc. who support the various candidates. These are the people who, say, decided they were a Chow person long before she decided to run. These people are all wearing rose-coloured glasses. They're going on about how strong she was or how Tory was the only real statesman up there - they're all wrong. None of the candidates rose to the occasion unless you set the bar at, "I'm not worse than Ford." I think they ARE better than that, but none of them lived up to it yesterday, IMHO.)

Though I also find that said people's rose coloured glasses can turn a different shade of rose and work the unfortunate opposite direction, i.e. a resigned "Rob Ford won--we're f*cked" re the debate. Y'know, if you can't lose against the guy now, you can't lose against the guy, *ever*, etc etc...

Exactly, what's the point of having any rules at all, if they are voluntary? If you can break the rules and get away with it, I don't see a point in having them. Only the corrupt and those without a conscience, will break those rules and have an unfair advantage. Toothless laws and rules are a waste of time and a complete farce.

its not what you know (we know his staff was there on city time)

its what you can prove (he will claim, they were there on their free time/will)

If there is a search warrant to be issued for Ford's home/office/DECO, wouldn't MM announcing it on Twitter give the Fords a heads up to destroy incriminating evidence?

Well, then, imagine if they were caught in the act, Conrad Black style.

[Edit: yeah, I found out Conrad was referenced earlier]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back