458     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 609     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will Calgary mayor Naheed Nenshi take the Ford Bros. weight loss challenge?

Ford and his brother, Coun. Doug Ford, said they will launch a public weight-loss campaign next week in Toronto and want other mayors — including Nenshi — to join them. The Ford brothers plan to do a weigh-in and then diet and exercise to reduce their waistlines.

Coun. Ford was quoted as saying the first mayor they will target is their friend in Calgary — because he has a little beef on the front of him.

Nenshi said he wouldn't mind taking part in the challenge, but hasn’t heard directly from either of the Fords.

“I think I've got to see something official from Mayor Ford and some stakes before it becomes a real challenge but you know, it's a good thing to do,†said Nenshi.

Mamoliti into the fray, from the Star:

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1114594--mayor-rob-ford-needs-protection-mammoliti-says?bn=1

His approach is I’m the mayor of the city, I’m open, and that’s his approach. I hope that some people can knock some sense into him.

So open that you can't even walk into his office.

“We’ve got all of the social problems that come with a big city, including the whackos that like to hurt us. I would suggest we get to those particular security (risks) before somebody’s killed in this city or hurt. And I think that that’s inevitable if we ignore it.”

Got that right - that's why we have restraining orders and ban on driving while using cellphones.

AoD

Social problems that come with a big city, including the whackos? Or problems that come from a dysfunctional family? Seems to me that any "security" risks are family-related, not big city-related. And hey, Rob said he can take care of himself, so let him.

PinkLucy:

I just found it doubly ironic that Mamolitti should be calling anyone whackos in this example of a dysfunctional [sic wacko] family.

AoD

Last edited:
We appear to be heading for a lockout!

News Release

January 12, 2012

City of Toronto requests No Board Report

This afternoon, the City of Toronto requested a No Board Report from the Ontario Minister of Labour with regard to collective bargaining with the Toronto Civic Employees Union (CUPE) Local 416. Local 416 represents approximately 6,000 "outside workers". Collective bargaining with Local 79 continues.

Conciliation with Local 416 commenced on January 9 with the recently appointed Conciliation Officer. The parties met again on January 10 and today. Conciliation with Local 416 has not worked so far and the parties are at an impasse. In order to put a sharper focus on the City's interest in obtaining a negotiated agreement, the City has taken the next legal step available in its ongoing efforts to negotiate an agreement.

When the City of Toronto and Local 416 are notified of a "No Board", the union will be in a legal strike position and the City in a legal lockout position approximately 17 days from that date. The notification will provide a specific date from which any actions may be taken.

"The City of Toronto wants a negotiated settlement, which is why we have taken this step," said Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday. "We remain hopeful that if meaningful negotiations finally begin, a resolution remains possible during this 17-day period."

The City of Toronto is committed to negotiating a settlement that is fair, reasonable and affordable and that takes into account the City of Toronto's business operations needs and the fiscal challenges it faces. The goal is to bring the collective agreements back to a more reasonable level regarding the numerous terms and conditions of employment that govern how the City effectively manages its operations. The City also needs to negotiate appropriate wages and benefits to ensure ongoing financial sustainability.

The City has a contingency plan in place that addresses the operation of key City services in the event of a labour disruption. Plans will be communicated at the appropriate time.

Toronto is Canada's largest city and sixth largest government, and home to a diverse population of about 2.7 million people. Toronto's government is dedicated to delivering customer service excellence, creating a transparent and accountable government, reducing the size and cost of government and building a transportation city. For information on non-emergency City services and programs, Toronto residents, businesses and visitors can dial 311, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

- 30 -

Media contact: Jackie DeSouza, Director, Strategic Communications, 416-397-5277, jdesouz@toronto.ca

The city had no intention of bargaining in good faith. CUPE outlined 30 days of possible bargaining and the city ignored it and went straight to no board. And on top of that the vast majority of their demands were ludicrous to begin with.

The city had no intention of bargaining in good faith. CUPE outlined 30 days of possible bargaining and the city ignored it and went straight to no board. And on top of that the vast majority of their demands were ludicrous to begin with.

Just to demonstrate the City's bad faith, apparently one of their demands was that employees not be paid for sick days, such that, in the first instance of using sick days in a year, an employee would not be paid for the 1st sick day used, in the second instance in the year, an employee would not be paid for the 1st and 2nd sick days used. This kind of clearly unreasonable and cruel crap seems to have only one objective: scuttle any chance of a negotiated settlement.

Just to demonstrate the City's bad faith, apparently one of their demands was that employees not be paid for sick days, such that, in the first instance of using sick days in a year, an employee would not be paid for the 1st sick day used, in the second instance in the year, an employee would not be paid for the 1st and 2nd sick days used. This kind of clearly unreasonable and cruel crap seems to have only one objective: scuttle any chance of a negotiated settlement.

This is true. To ask paramedics to accept anything like that is irresponsible and dangerous. They are forcing people to come to work when they are sick. I come into contact with sick people everyday, walk into situations which I have no idea what I'm getting into. If I go to work sick, there is a very high potential to kill someone by transferring whatever I have. It's ridiculous.

Another tidbits for now:
Removing our 'End of shift out of service' . Currently if I'm done at 7, I finish that call and then can safely return to the station without getting another call. They want to remove that so they can force overtime....so after 12 hours of not getting a break they want us to go up to 16hrs. Again ridiculous and irresponsible.

Why doesn't the unions make these crazy demands public? The unions need to up the PR war against that b*stard and his cronies.

Last edited:
CUPE offers wage freeze. According to the Globe and Mail, the proposed wage freeze will save the City $8.5 million per year. Union needs to make public what concessions the city is offering them in order to gain support.

416 union has already accepted 40 of the City's 70 demands. How many of the union's proposals has the City accepted? It seems not a single one. Surprise! surprise! Rob Ford is the one refusing to negotiate.

Hopefully the Ministry tells the City where to go in their application for a no board report. Though if the union is offering concessions, I don't see how a report can be issued at this time.

There might not be much justification for the province to allow this right now, but considering how long they've let the YRT strike go on without legislating some form of mediation, they're not coming off as particularly friendly to unions.

I think Rob Ford has always felt (with good reason) that a strike or lockout will unite a large number of Torontonians behind him, regaining the support he's lost since he took office. He'll be able to claim that he's finishing the job that Miller was unable to do. This is a bad move for Toronto, but it might be a good move politically for Ford.

On the other hand, CUPE does seem to be doing a better job at positioning itself than they did during the last Miller strike. During that time Miller was typically seen as starting from a reasonable position, though ultimately backing down (and thus loosing support from the public and setting the stage for the election of Ford).

Last night the Ontario Labour Board denied the city's request to make Paramedics 100% essential without arbitration, they did however up the minimum staffing levels from the 75% of the last strike to 85%. Injured medics and support staff still can't come to work.

The chair essentially spanked the city, urging them to allow for 100% with arbitration, something he doesn't have the power to do. He questioned the city's ability to provided effective paramedic coverage given that we have difficulty doing that on a normal day.

I think Rob Ford has always felt (with good reason) that a strike or lockout will unite a large number of Torontonians behind him, regaining the support he's lost since he took office. He'll be able to claim that he's finishing the job that Miller was unable to do. This is a bad move for Toronto, but it might be a good move politically for Ford.
Why would Ford be able to gain public support during a strike? It was the last strike that heavily hurt David Miller's support, despite his playing hardball with the union and extracting concessions. Given the union have already offered to accept a 0% wage increase, how is Ford going to gain support by creating another garbage strike - particularly when it's already abundantly clear that it would be happening because he is refusing to negotiate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back