226     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 633     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 992     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doug says (the Kimmel show) was like a church picnic compared to the Toronto Media. Man, church picnics have changed since I was a kid
...Fords forever spinning I think they are stuck in a permanent centrifuge

Exactly. From the Wormington article: [In the background I could hear the mayor saying he was “set up†but he did not seem angry or pouting.]

Doesn't sound like it was very scripted to me.

Before I went to bed last night at 2:30 there were comments on the IHTWORF site from a Ford supporter who was at the taping. He was mad at Kimmel and at Doug for doing that to Rob. Apparently Kimmel changed his questions from the pre interview hence Rob was "set up". When they were showing pictures of Rob eating and the fat jokes, Doug was seen at the sidelines laughing the loudest. In the break before the last bit, Rob sat tight faced and exchanged no more than 3 words with Kimmel. After his interview the poster detected a tear in his eye as he left. To add insult to injury, Doug (worst. brother. ever) at the end of the show walked out and threw more Ford Nation T-shirts to the audience. Apparently people just looked at them and left them there.

Sorry I didn`t cut and paste the posts as they are all deleted, but the person who posted was clearly a supporter and definitely pissed at what went down. I guess they took them down as the posts didn`t jive with the spin.

I don't know who adds tags to this thread, but this past week I've been watching those tags avidly, sensing it might be time for another one to show up. Maybe just wishful thinking. In any event, I would like to express my appreciation for the existing tags and the timing of their appearance. Unsung hero(s), rest assured that they've not gone unnoticed.

Y'know, I thought there was something fishy about Slob and Thug's story about attending the Academy Awards. Given the limited seating for such an event, with every power broker in Hollywood undoubtably wanting to claw a way in, there was no way some sideshow carnival freak/flavor of the month whose claim to "fame" is as the butt of late-night jokes was going to be granted admission, never mind his entourage, i.e. Doug or Randy. So what was the point of such a nonsensical tale? Just to make them seem more important? Or did Kimmel actually string them along with empty promises of getting them into the show? The latter is indeed a hilarious notion. It would make these assholes look like even bigger rubes.

From the media's scathing tone regarding Fatso's Trip To La-La Land, it would appear people are well and truly fed up with the Fords' endless capacity for self-aggrandizement. And make no mistake, shameless self-promotion was the only motivating factor in this surreal little episode.

I doubt Kimmel ran those questions / topics by him in advance. They were after his spontaneous reactions. It's not a strict rule that late night shows are scripted... in this case it makes more sense for it not to be. Doug is just trying to save face here.

I think a lot of reasons talk shows are 'scripted' is because the guest is usually there to promote their movie or show or what have you. *It's important that they set aside time for that. *The movie's producers are also probably pretty particular about how that part of the interview will go.

With only maybe 10 minutes of air time, it makes sense to just loosely script the entire interview to ensure the movie promotion gets its allotted time.

Before I went to bed last night at 2:30 there were comments on the IHTWORF site from a Ford supporter who was at the taping. He was mad at Kimmel and at Doug for doing that to Rob. Apparently Kimmel changed his questions from the pre interview hence Rob was "set up". When they were showing pictures of Rob eating and the fat jokes, Doug was seen at the sidelines laughing the loudest. In the break before the last bit, Rob sat tight faced and exchanged no more than 3 words with Kimmel. After his interview the poster detected a tear in his eye as he left. To add insult to injury, Doug (worst. brother. ever) at the end of the show walked out and threw more Ford Nation T-shirts to the audience. Apparently people just looked at them and left them there.

Sorry I didn`t cut and paste the posts as they are all deleted, but the person who posted was clearly a supporter and definitely pissed at what went down. I guess they took them down as the posts didn`t jive with the spin.

I think this incident shows just how out of touch with reality these guys are. Why in the world would they think that they'd get a sympathetic reception from Kimmel, a guy who has done nothing but poke fun at Ford since the original Gawker/Star stories?

there's a lot of talk here about it being "scripted." I think it's plenty clear that, at best, Rob knew only generally what was coming.

None of these talk shows are "scripted." What they do is a pre-interview so if, say, Robin Williams is going to be on Letterman, some staffer sits down with him and talks about his new movie or TV show and then if he has some wacky story to tell and then versions of what to ask about is given to the host and he gives the prompts so no one is operating in the dark but it's also still spontaneous. So maybe Williams says, "I want to talk about this funny thing that happened when we were shooting last week..." and then Letterman asks, "Have you ever had anything just go off the rails during shooting?" Or maybe Williams tells the staffer he's got this great riff on cellphones and how annoying they are and Letterman just goes, "Anything else bugging you these days?" and off he goes.

Doolittle (as someone cited above) talked about how little pre-interview there was with The Daily Show, but she no doubt had a gist of roughly what he would ask. I've also been interviewed and had a pre-interview and the final questions I got "on air" were phrased differently, on the same subject but in a different way from what had been discussed before; it's not a repetition of what you've already discussed. So Ford knew there would be crack stuff and maybe they even told him there would be videos, so he could guess what would be on screen, but there is no way they did like a run-through of the whole thing and then did something totally different on air. You could tell Ford wasn't SHOCKED by what was coming; he has all his standard defenses ready to go.

In the past 12-hours we've seen Doug and Rob go from "I was set up" to "That was great, we go to promote the city..." etc. It's all bull. They knew they'd be mocked and challenged and they were. Trying to understand "what really happened" through Doug's eyes is just dangerous. Believe your own two eyes. Everyone except Doug knows what they saw.

Speaking of which, I've seen this circulating around now too - since it's not a glowing review, I can only assume this American media outlet found a guy from the Biased Toronto Media to write it?
http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/rob-ford-jimmy-kimmel/

(They also have an article on Carleton's basketball team, so you can get your CanCon fix...)

Last edited:
I thought, as others have, that the three brothers looked silly all black outfits; the red tie did not help either. I speculate that it was their mother that told them to dress the same.

Ok, with that over it's almost ITO time. Tomorrow should be an... interesting... day for the mayor.

Are we for sure getting more ITOs tomorrow? Or will they likely be heavily redacted?

Tomorrow is when Nordheimer will hear the arguments. It's not likely we will actually get any information tomorrow.

How have the previous ITO's been handled? I don't even remember. Was there a day of arguments, then that day Nordheimer says yes to it's release but a week is given to redact portions? Or does he usually take a week or two to decide if they are to be released?

Doug says (the Kimmel show) was like a church picnic compared to the Toronto Media. Man, church picnics have changed since I was a kid
...Fords forever spinning I think they are stuck in a permanent centrifuge

Doug says ... Doug says ... Doug says ... what does Rob have to say? Or is Doug not letting him say anything? (Unless Rob gets a few hours away from Doug and lets loose).

I thought, as others have, that the three brothers looked silly all black outfits; the red tie did not help either. I speculate that it was their mother that told them to dress the same.
I assume the outfits were the Fords' idea of "L.A. classy". Apparently the height of class for a Ford is "waiter in an Italian restaurant". I'm just glad we were spared a photo of the three of them looking slyly over dark sunglasses.

Last edited:
Doug says ... Doug says ... Doug says ... what does Rob have to say? Or is Doug not letting him say anything? (Unless Rob gets a few hours away from Doug and lets loose).

Rob has not shown up to work yet. I'm sure Doug intentionally showed up bright and early in order to undercut his brother again. What a swell guy.

One thing I thought was interesting about the Kimmel interview, is that Kimmel was one of the few people I've seen talk to Ford in the way he deserves, i.e., like a naughty child. Toronto media make the mistake of treating him (and his brother) like adults, and that's obviously a mistake. You're never going to get anywhere doing that because you're pitching above their heads. Kimmel kept the questions simple, and spoke slowly and clearly in a gentle tone of voice, as though he was trying to lure a skittish kitten out from under the bed. That's how you need to deal with these guys---they most likely won't run away from the content of what you're saying if you smile and act like you're on their side.

wasn't it 'best [and only] mayor I ever met"?
When Kimmel annoits him "best mayor ever" at the end of the segment, Ford and his Nation realize that this title relates ONLY to the fact that Ford is providing invaluable material for late-night hosts, right? That he's joke material for jokers?

He didn't even say "best mayor ever". He said "most wonderful mayor". Tilts the sentiment a little bit.

Hi all. I have been lurking on this forum - a bit of a guilty pleasure as it validates my feelings about this Mayor.
I don't know if this has been posted yet but I thought it was a good read and is a clear debunking in easy language of Ford's financial accomplishments. http://buff.ly/1fELpnx

I watched Kimmel last night with one hand over my face. It was a horror show. Of course as it was airing, Twitter lit up with comments as did this thread. My friends are sick to death of hearing about Ford but I have told them that so long as the man is campaigning for re-election, it is our duty to keep his antics front and centre. Unless he quits politics there is always the (remote) possibility that he could be re-elected. That's unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back