329     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 574     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a clearer picture is emerging as to what cops are investigating Ford for. They're apparently focusing solely on proving that Ford conspired with Sandro to extort those guys for the video, and they're pretty close to wrapping that up. They have a range of other leads that Giroux wants to pursue after, thus his comment that in his opinion there's still a lot of work to do.

Does this mean they will wait to arrest Ford for the extortion crime until all leads are followed up, or continue to investigate other leads while Ford is charged?

I'm not aware of either of these guys being on the ABC, CBS, NBC, or Fox networks. I did catch Arsenio a few weeks ago while flipping channels, but I thought it was syndicated ... though I did watch it back when it came on in the late 1980s ... but I don't think it was network even back then.

As far as I know, the network late night shows have been very white and very male since Joan Rivers stopped doing the Tonight Show - at least I think she has ... I haven't seen her hosting for a long time.
The tv landscape is a lot bigger than just the four networks these days. It's not 1992 anymore. But this a weird tangent, so I'll drop it here.

Chelsea Handler is a woman and hosts Chelsea Lately on E! Channel. I think its on at 11:00 p.m. Red Carpet for the Oscars starting soon! PLEASE don't let Rob Ford be anywhere near it. PLEASE.
So non-network then ...

How does this have any relation to my original statement " ... American late-night network TV host. Male and white, right?"

The tv landscape is a lot bigger than just the four networks these days. It's not 1992 anymore. But this a weird tangent, so I'll drop it here.
It might be wider, but look at the viewership. The viewers for NBC, CBS, and ABC (does Fox even programme the 11:30 pm slot?) still are huge.

Though looking at some recent ratings ... there are some non-network shows. http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/nbcs-rising-leno-dominates-over-kimmel-and-letterman-1200524505/ So Conan O'Brian, Stephen Colbert, and Jon Stewart seem to be in the mix as well. Male and white ... No mention of this Chelsea person ... or Arsenio ...

Last edited:
The other thing I'm told they're looking to charge him with is facilitating drug trafficking. Not sure who or what that involves.

I guess if you can't charge him with having or doing drugs, the consolation prize is that you can charge him with "facilitating drug trafficking"? Possibly the burden of proof is less with that? As in, you don't need to catch him in the act?

The other thing I'm told they're looking to charge him with is facilitating drug trafficking. Not sure who or what that involves.

Could relate to the paying of bills at a known crack house. Wasn't there also the suggestion that a pound of weed was being offered for his missing phone?

So non-network then ...

How does this have any relation to my original statement "

You referred to Chelsea and Arsenio as "guys". I was merely pointing out she's a woman. Sorry to continue this derailment. Back to Hollywood Ford watch....

Hollywood North was always the term given to Vancouver. During the 90's, it seemed to have much more appeal to filmmakers than Toronto. I believe Toronto has now surpassed that. But I have friends in the film/tv industries, and they don't even call TO "Hollywood North".

Nobody slogging in the T.O. film business uses that stupid phrase. It's definitely a civic booster!-ish term. And Toronto and Van are pretty neck-to-neck in terms of overall volume and dollars in. That said, the number of Big $ prods in Toronto (e.g. Pacific Rim) are higher than those in Van. Plus, U.S. producers like Toronto crews for sheer professionalism and expertise in SFX. Also, initial post-production workflow here surpasses Vancouver.

Edit: Just to address the 'Mexico North' thing. Yes, production people in Toronto have laboured under the derisive 'snowbacks' moniker. To most, it's shrugged off and the day is made and the crap's in the can, hard drive, whatever. But, in terms of crew professionalism, Toronto and Vancouver are *at least* as good as those in L.A. Big shows wouldn't come here if there were inferior production services (Though the NABET/IATSE thing is a bit of a prickle).

Last edited:
CP24 6:00pm via TweetDeck
Mayor Rob Ford will not be attending the Oscars tonight because of "heavy security," his staff confirm.

And also, because there's no drinking during the four hour show... :(

Snap judgment: this Brioux guy is annoying and self-aggrandizing

Agreed. He's not a resident of Toronto and admits he doesn't support Ford, so the only thing in it for him is the self-serving quest for credit for getting Ford onto US late-night TV.

I hope the Fords' PR stunt fails and I hope whatever the cops have planned for them is a success.

Damn!!

So if this is all the police has, then he will still be mayor in name until Oct and we all wait for election results.

I, and probably most on this board, expected so much more. Very disappointed if true.

He was always going to still be mayor up to the election. Even if charged with conspiracy to commit murder in Smith's death, he'd get bail until trial which likely wouldn't happen until afterwards anyway. I'm sure a dozen or so pages back it was detailed that as long as Ford remains a free man, he's eligible to remain in office, and even get re-elected.

Under the criminal code, the law treats a conspirator the same as they do the ones who do the "physical" work. If you order a hit, you're going down just as hard if not harder than the guy who actually pulls the trigger.

http://yourlaws.ca/criminal-code-canada/465-conspiracy

"465 - Conspiracy

465. (1) Except where otherwise expressly provided by law, the following provisions apply in respect of conspiracy:

(a) every one who conspires with any one to commit murder or to cause another person to be murdered, whether in Canada or not, is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to a maximum term of imprisonment for life;

(b) every one who conspires with any one to prosecute a person for an alleged offence, knowing that he did not commit that offence, is guilty of an indictable offence and liable

(i) to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years, if the alleged offence is one for which, on conviction, that person would be liable to be sentenced to imprisonment for life or for a term not exceeding fourteen years, or

(ii) to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years, if the alleged offence is one for which, on conviction, that person would be liable to imprisonment for less than fourteen years;

(c) every one who conspires with any one to commit an indictable offence not provided for in paragraph (a) or (b) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to the same punishment as that to which an accused who is guilty of that offence would, on conviction, be liable; and

(d) every one who conspires with any one to commit an offence punishable on summary conviction is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction."

Extortion is an indictable offense. It's a serious enough of a crime that it can be punishable up to life imprisonment in certain circumstances, and minimum sentences also can apply.

Please, don't be disappointed with an extortion charge. It'd be phenomenal if he was charged with extortion and/or conspiracy to commit extortion. "Fancy lawyers" are also overrated as even the best lawyers can only do so much sometimes. The fact that he was mayor may in fact be to his detriment, since more is expected from him (not from Ford Nation, but the courts tend to see things a little more rationally on these matters), not unlike a situation where punishments are harsher when one takes advantage of their position of authority.

Have some faith. I think he'd do time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back