879     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is Ford jumping about 3 posts up?

2dr9ld5.jpg

this was posted Feb 20 11:14 am
Von Grüning ‏@Von_Gruning 14h
Chillin' with Mayor @RobFordToronto at my place with him rockin' a @Von_Gruning made 'Ford Nation' hat #RobFord pic.twitter.com/dK7mzSYdiH
Bg7hnmqCMAAHyhh.jpg

she is a teenager who wants to be a fashion designer. website has her appearing on some "talented teens" segment of the Marilyn Dennis show or some silly daytime talk show. I guess she made him the hat. :rolleyes:

This smacks of daughter of wealthy family. I guess it would be wrong for me to point out that her "fashion design house" has an entry on Johnny Au's much beloved Wikipedia?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Grüning

Apologies for bringing this up from pages back, but having watched that sordid bit of the proceedings, I've gotta say that Nunziata's tone and actions during this stretch in no way held the Fords to account. They were actually shouting over speakers, threatening other council members, and disrupting proceedings. Once other councillors called out the speaker for letting this go on, she continued to let it go on for almost a minute, cutting off the protests of other councillors by turning off their mics.

The quotation above came after a lengthy strength of ineffectual, confused stumbling that did nothing to stop the disruption in chamber. She didn't even pause for a response from the Fords - it was almost as though she was saying these words to herself.

If nothing else, I'm looking forward to the next term in the hopes that we have a speaker who understands what the word "decorum" means, and how it might be maintained. Council proceedings under Nunziata's watch are an absolute joke.
I can't find it right now, but late in the evening someone tweeted that Nunziata went on break and made Ford act as speaker to get him to shut up (Dep Speaker Parker wasn't there).

Found it
Matt Elliott ‏@GraphicMatt 15h

Now Nunziata has asked Rob Ford to chair the meeting so he'll stop talking during the debate.

Last edited:
Had -- say, Adam Vaughan done the same thing Ford would have been screaming about gravy, hand in the cookie jar, special treatment for the downtown elites etc...

Thankfully, I retired during the Miller era.

But, I can imagine what was going through the minds of the Firefighters and Paramedics on scene when "cut the gravy train" arrived.

Last edited:
I can't find it right now, but late in the evening someone tweeted that Nunziata went on break and made Ford act as speaker to get him to shut up (Dep Speaker Parker wasn't there).
I was watching with headphones on. She asked him to chair, he didn't want to, he was reluctant, saying "don't give me the chair" and she, very mommy-like, told him to take it.

Could Doug Holyday be thinking about staying on as a candidate in the next provincial election and didn't want Doug Ford to run in the same riding?

Holyday is Etobicoke-Lakeshore. Doug Ford would be Etobicoke-Centre (Donna Cansfield) or Etobicoke-North (Shafiq Qaadri) - I don't know exactly where he lives and what the riding boundaries are. Both are Liberal ridings right now.

Rob Ford's gold medal victory dance makes Kimmel

[video=youtube;MoPZx0GkvHI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoPZx0GkvHI[/video]

http://www.blogto.com/city/2014/02/rob_fords_gold_medal_victory_dance_makes_kimmel/

" ^Don't be such a stick in the mud. There's nothing wrong with enthusiastic displays. To me, this doesn't even make the list of Ford's problematic "behaviour". "

Enough to get us more laughs on American late night TV.

Maybe the loser should get to keep Justin Bieber? ;)

Last edited:
strongly disagree with this. i've almost never left the old city limits aside from travel out of the city. everything that a person like me finds interesting about toronto doesn't include those suburbs. the whole goofy history of toronto pre-y2k is a story of these neighborhoods sort of coming into their own and battling it out and the rest. appending a bunch of post-war autoburbs whose residents felt like they were torontonians for some reason just totally blew up this cool little dynamic.

Ahh, the small town “they wanna be like us†attitude.

Well said. I have nothing against the suburbs. I would not live there but that's my choice. With reasonable politicians, catering to downtown and the suburbs would be possible. With these clowns, no way.

What does the “905†have to do with anything?

Damn, Ford actually did something nice: http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha..._ttc_ceo_to_ask_for_bus_for_fire_victims.html

He used a shelter bus to actually help people displaced by a fire and actually paid for their hotel stay. Campaign tactic or honest charity?

An attempt to come back from the Football Bus incident. Calling Byford at all just shows the Fords’ grandstanding, and self importance. I wonder if the Fords know what altruistic means.

Yet again, the Fords do something in their backyard, but Robbie still took almost 3y+ to get to the Scarborough wards. Someone should ask him again how a fully separated transit disrupts traffic.

Yes, I'm having a bitter morning.

Last edited:
Would anyone mind copy/pasting the text of this Globe "Unlimited" (cough) article for those of us who aren't members of the paywall? Thanks.

here you go...

Three reasons why Doug Ford had to stay away from Ontario politics

In opting not to seek the Ontario Progressive Conservative nomination for a seat in the legislature, Toronto councillor Doug Ford cited family loyalty: running the re-election campaign of his brother, scandal-plagued Mayor Rob Ford, is his priority for the next eight months, he says.

That may very well be true, but there are three other major reasons for the councillor to put his provincial ambitions on hold, at least for the moment.

The PC private eye

Anyone who wants to seek a Progressive Conservative nomination has to undergo an extensive vetting process. It includes, among other things, a credit check, interview and questionnaire to determine if there is anything embarrassing in a candidate's past that could come back to haunt them.

One source said it goes further than that. In cases where the party believes it is warranted, it also has a security consulting firm track down a prospective candidate's friends and acquaintances to dig up any possible dirt.

The worst thing a candidate can do, the source said, is lie about something the party later determines to be true.

Given the allegations swirling around Mr. Ford – a Globe and Mail investigation last year spoke to 10 anonymous sources who said he was a high-volume hashish dealer in the 1980s – the Tories would have delved into Mr. Ford's past, the source said. Mr. Ford, for his part, denies that he was ever a high-volume drug dealer.

If the party turns up anything questionable in its investigation, it can rule a candidate ineligible for the nomination. In some cases, this process turns nasty. When the party blocked Maddie Di Muccio, a town councillor north of Toronto, from seeking its nod in Newmarket-Aurora this month on the basis of her past criticisms of Mr. Hudak, it led to a public war of words.

It's not hard to imagine the acrimony – and the damage it would have done to both sides – had something similar happened to Mr. Ford.

Hudak's hard line

Near the end of last year, Mr. Hudak delivered a stark message to his caucus: any time we have to talk about you is time we're not talking about our policies. His meaning, according to a Tory source, was clear. MPPs and candidates were to keep a lid on their personal lives and not allow such things to take media attention away from the party platform in the next election.

Publicly, Mr. Hudak adopted a similar hard line on party discipline. In September, he demoted MPPs Peter Shurman and Randy Hillier from his shadow cabinet – Mr. Shurman after a dispute over using taxpayer money to subsidize his apartment and Mr. Hillier for breaking with the party's position over a labour bill.

Then, last month, he stripped Windsor-area candidate Dave Brister of his nomination for publicly disparaging a PC MPP and attacking party policy on so-called "right to work" legislation.

For Doug Ford – a man who once publicly attacked the integrity of both the Toronto police chief and a top Tory fundraiser in the same day – the signal was pretty obvious. Mr. Hudak would tolerate no offsides on his team.

And having set a precedent with Mr. Hiller and Mr. Brister, the PC leader would virtually have been bound to similarly punish Mr. Ford had he made inflammatory comments or defied party discipline.

A party divided

When Mr. Ford first announced his intention to seek the Tory nomination last year, the party welcomed him with open arms. Mr. Hudak pronounced himself "thrilled."

That all abruptly changed after reports emerged last May of a video of the mayor appearing to smoke crack cocaine and making homophobic remarks. Tory House Leader Jim Wilson declared Doug Ford was "not our candidate" and "I don't even know the guy." Mr. Hudak dropped his laudatory language about the Fords.

At first, PC insiders confided the party was divided: some wanted nothing to do with the colourful councillor and his brother; others, however, pointed to their strong poll numbers as reason to keep working with them.

That changed after Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair confirmed the so-called crack video's existence in November, followed by the mayor's confession to smoking the drug.

While some MPPs would continue to laud Mr. Ford's fiscal record, privately, most Tories at Queen's Park flatly said they did not want him to run for the party. He would be a distraction during a campaign, they said, taking up valuable air time that could be spent hammering home their message.

Mr. Ford said this week he had never felt any antagonism from the party. One Tory source, however, said Mr. Ford was aware how Queen's Park PCs felt about his possible candidacy.

Adrian Morrow is The Globe's Ontario politics reporter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back