News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.9K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the Flare article, they quote the former deputy editor of the Star as saying

I don't think he's entirely wrong. I don't doubt that people are more willing to engage with strangers who are attractive, I don't think anyone would deny such a claim. This particular stranger just happens to be smart as a whip and works for a newspaper, so being able to get people to open up helps her do her job.

Creepy comments are creepy but I don't think acknowledging that she is young and attractive in general somehow detracts from her very real accomplishments in academia and in industry.

Everyone who has been following this knows that Doolittle would have been an impressive person even if she was born a genderless amorphous blob, but it doesn't really hurt anyone to acknowledge that she's pretty.
AS a woman, I totally disagree. lol
There is always waaaaay too much emphasis on looks for girls and then women. If RD's physical appearance had a direct influence on the developments, then it would be relevant to acknowledge so. Perhaps the line about getting people to open up easier is appropriate. But in general, women's looks are mentioned far too often when that information is not relevant.
Are Daniel Dale's looks mentioned every time he was the subject of a story? Perhaps it was mentioned once, in that he was much skinnier than Ford. But not every time that story was reported.
If RD is an impressive person because of her intelligence and work ethic etc, then let that stand on its own.

No one cries for poor Rob when we talk about his appearance ;-) We judge him for being fat, for his cheap suits, for sweating and for looking like a tomato!

That's going to happen to anyone who has their image widely distributed in the newspapers, online, or on television. To both men and women.

Though I can definitely recognize there is far more pressure on women.

Blatchford knew, too. I think anyone who paid the slightest attention to City Hall from 2000-2010 knew Ford would be a train wreck. Granted some of the details that have emerged since 2010 have been surprising, but the fact that Ford has been a giant shitstain as mayor is not.

I was shocked a few months ago when I heard her on the radio expressing her surprise at what Ford had become, and that she had not only voted for him but actually seemed to believe his BS from the campaign and would be able to carry out his promises.

Haven't followed her too closely, but she was one of the last people I would have expected that from.

Based on the behind the scenes given of the 2010 campaign, Doug is anything but qualified to run a campaign.

This is the main reason why I think there's no chance that Ford will win in an election. With no Nick Kouvalis to save them from themselves, the Fords are going to find a way to torpedo themselves before they're too far out of the gate.

-From The National Post

The lawsuit, which also names the Province of Ontario, claims jailhouse guards allowed the assault to happen and seeks damages of $1-million from all defendants.

None of the allegations have been proven in court.

The lawsuit suggests an infamous video that came to light last year of Mayor Ford ranting about an unnamed person he wants to kill was in fact about Mr. MacIntyre.

“I’m gonna kill that f—ing guy. I’m telling you, it’s first-degree murder,” Mr. Ford said in the video, which the Toronto Star purchased.
“I’ll rip his f—ing throat out. I’ll poke his eyes out. . . . I’ll make sure that motherf—er’s dead.”
The mayor later said he was “very inebriated” in the video but did not clarify what he was talking about.

When Mr. Morris was asked to comment on that video, he said: “I can only comment he denies he was going to kill anybody.”

That last line sounds rather like a punchline.

This is the main reason why I think there's no chance that Ford will win in an election. With no Nick Kouvalis to save them from themselves, the Fords are going to find a way to torpedo themselves before they're too far out of the gate.

There is that, for sure. But being the incumbent and all that has gone on on the past year, he is also guaranteed exposure, good or bad. The scary thing is, as RD nicely summarized in her book, stuff that would normally sink any another politician results in a rating bumps and contribution uptakes for Rob Ford. I hope that is just folks expressing their anger at "elites" back in 2010. I guess we will find out soon enough.

No one cries for poor Rob when we talk about his appearance ;-) We judge him for being fat, for his cheap suits, for sweating and for looking like a tomato!

That's going to happen to anyone who has their image widely distributed in the newspapers, online, or on television. To both men and women.

Ford should be pilloried for his actions and not his weight. Most people who oppose Ford probably wouldn't slam a politician they liked for being obese. His choice of cheap suits are fair game since we should expect public officials to appear presentable and wearing clean and well-tailored clothing given the amount we pay them. His constant sweating could be in large part explained by his abuse of alcohol and drugs so it's noteworthy in that respect.

Yes, it is an entirely different situation with women. Not comparable.
I happen to disagree with the fat shaming that goes on with RF. There is a lot more to criticize about him than going after the easy target.

The Ford/Soknacki debate, for some insane reason, is on at 7. The weather is horrible but they didn't postpone it.

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 2m

Looks like this has turned out to be an actual debate. (I've been told the students have been instructed only to ask about policy.)

The Ford/Soknacki debate, for some insane reason, is on at 7. The weather is horrible but they didn't postpone it.

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 2m

Looks like this has turned out to be an actual debate. (I've been told the students have been instructed only to ask about policy.)

Does anyone know if this is streaming anywhere?

Based on the behind the scenes given of the 2010 campaign, Doug is anything but qualified to run a campaign.

Based on Everything do you really think anyone within the OPC qualified to run a campaign will want to tie themselves to DoFo knowing that he knows nothing about running a serious campaign AND that at any moment you, your party President (Rich Ciano) and your party leader (Hudac) might be cast aside (and over-ruled) by "Rose Kennedy" (MamaFo) because we all know too well by RoFo's staff accounts that "Mama Knows Best!".

A young Peter VanLoan type would never have touched such a candidate tied to the "bitter end" of the populace spectrum...

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 2m

Instructed by who?

Does anyone know if this is streaming anywhere?

I haven't seen anything. Dale is live tweeting and a couple of people asked him but he hasn't said anything of yet. Soknacki is there but I am not sure if Ford has shown up yet. I expect he'll be late and blame the weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back