News   Jul 18, 2024
 439     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 498     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
good god...

The Incredible Shrinking Mayor. Almost 40 pounds gone, and counting.

[...]

“This is critical,†he tells me earlier, after chicken breast and vegetables washed down by water. “The only way people are going to respect me, to bring back my image, is if I lose weight. The rest falls into place.â€

[...]

Voila, the Incredible Shrinking Mayor II. For once, the sequel is better than the original.

At about 295, Ford carries nearly 40 fewer pounds than two months ago at the height of his international infamy.

You will recall the mayor’s first foray into fitness — his Cut the Waist Challenge in January 2012 — lasted about five minutes.

Back then, there was little at stake. A publicity stunt, mostly. Jay Leno had never heard of Rob Ford.

So the fancy scale outside Ford’s office gathered dust and the mayor reverted to form, which we learned was one helluva lifestyle … and to 336 pounds.

That weight makes for fine late-night comedy, but is a shortcut to premature stroke.

But who among us has not tried and failed — to shed pounds, quit smoking, curb spending, or cut down on sniffing glue.

[...]

This time, it’s different. Barring any legal shocks, Rob Ford’s political career rides on those 810-pound leg presses.

The sweaty, blotchy, twitchy, 336-pound Ford would not survive the coming election campaign. He might as well hand his rivals a loaded gun. Not to mention, he’s prone to bloopers when he’s a hungover blob.

But he’s not that, right now. At two months, you have to take his physical makeover seriously.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/16/rob-fords-weight-loss-pledge-has-legs

^Agreed.
Ford may drink because he is suppressing his true identity. But his sexuality is not our business. And he should not be made fun for it.
It is akin to the posting of all those women in skimpy outfits: salacious gossiping.

However, if the 'rumour' was that Ford was involved with under-aged teenagers, that needs to be clarified/investigated. But we needn't make fun of that either.
My point is that there is no "rumour" there is an errant tweet coupled with stereotypes about closeted people. The level to which the discourse has sunk on this forum around this specific issue is quite low. Ford sucks - combining that with stale stereotypes about suppressing homosexuality and or pedophelia is a) not funny b) completely unnecessary.

Last edited:

This article is so very greasy, as is the Sun's abrupt reversal back into Ford's corner. Has anyone else following #TOpoli on Twitter noticed the change in Don Peat's tone as well? It's really scanning like he was told to stop being critical in any way of Ford. Like, this is absurd:

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 14m
Fun fact - Rob Ford only GTA mayor to take the stairs up to 2nd floor meeting - the rest took the elevator #TOpoli

This article is so very greasy, as is the Sun's abrupt reversal back into Ford's corner. Has anyone else following #TOpoli on Twitter noticed the change in Don Peat's tone as well? It's really scanning like he was told to stop being critical in any way of Ford. Like, this is absurd:

Fun fact - Rob Ford only GTA mayor to take the stairs up to 2nd floor meeting - the rest took the elevator #TOpoli

Disappointing. Don Peat was doing such a great job. Sigh.

I don't know even know what the point of tweeting that was... It's not like we haven't seen Ford getting into an elevator before.

... Has anyone else following #TOpoli on Twitter noticed the change in Don Peat's tone as well? It's really scanning like he was told to stop being critical in any way of Ford. Like, this is absurd:

I don't agree. This is a very relevant and interesting observation... shows the degree to which Ford is really pushing this fitness shtick P.R. campaign.

I don't agree. This is a very relevant and interesting observation... shows the degree to which Ford is really pushing this fitness shtick P.R. campaign.

If so that's a real dog-whistle way of putting it. Like, there's subtle and then there's indistinguishable.

Sad to note that it was a Toronto Sun editorial that not too long ago pronounced Ford's bid for re-election in terms of "Not now. Not ever."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back