281     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 431     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 812     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a random recollection. Around the time I used to play football for Ford several years ago I recall news that someone on Weston Wood noticed a car bomb attached to the bottom of their car and the bomb squad had to be called in. Does anyone remember this? Not at all Ford related aside from living on the same street but it's annoying that I can't find news of this in any archives.

i'm guessing a lot of these things go unreported in the media. for example, the ETF's bomb squad responded to 136 calls for service in 2005.

www.torontopolice.on.ca/publications/files/reports/2005annualreport.pdf‎

Rob Ford's "financial book-reviewing" CFO activities at Deco were typical of a family member who doesn't actually do anything of consequence, but has to spend some time at the offices of the family-owned business in order to justify paying a salary to that family member. It's been stated that Rob isn't active in the company because he doesn't have a "passion for labels", but the Ford family has shown that they take care of their own, so he's on the payroll and that has to be justified in case of CRA audit. I don't think Rob does anything of importance at Deco. (That's likely one of the reasons Rob wants / needs to stay mayor - football coaching is now out of the question, and no one including Rob wants Rob's involvement at Deco - what does Rob do if he's no longer at City Hall?)

And perhaps an even stronger case in point than Rob: whatever position "Mikey" Ford presently holds at Deco.

Yeah, most of the Ford supporters who pop their heads in here during the week or two between scandals seem to be like Jubokeh, who usually only contributes a few lines of "Rob Ford respects Scarborough, yo!" nonsense.

Though it's worth noting that it's been an *awful* long time since the likes of malvern2 or HaveLove have popped up, even though there've been moments of relative calm and positive-polling when they could have--maybe they tripped over whatever there-is-no-crack-tape schtick...

Ford is also poised to gather with GTA mayors next Friday to discuss a joint appeal to the province for aid.

But Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly, who was given most of the mayor’s powers by council after the drug controversy erupted around Ford in October, has not been invited to the session. When asked if he should be meeting with other GTA mayors instead of Ford, he said city staff have been talking to their counterparts in other cities for weeks.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/1...t-at-grandstanding-over-ice-storm-cleanup-aid

i'd rather have kelly at the meeting.

I thought Ford claims to have saved the city billions of dollars. Meanwhile he has to go begging to the province and feds for handouts.

Synagogues dont really allow for photos to be taken.
Neither do mosques.

He should try out a temple. South Asian vote is key to re-election.

Today is Saturday. Would Rob be attending a synagogue today? What church will he attend tomorrow, on Sunday?

Synagogues dont really allow for photos to be taken.
Neither do mosques.

He should try out a temple. South Asian vote is key to re-election.

One would just follow the fridge magnet trail. Yes, I am curious about the whole Sabbath thing in chambers yesterday.

Having questions, and acting in a democratic way was quite disgusting, and an affront to the taxpayer, that's right, the common folk, and it has to to stop, the elitists must be stopped. ;)

Anyway, now we know at least one reason way Robbie called for a session for declaring "a disaster area" to the prov. and feds. two bussiness days before the dead line. Yet another facist move on the Ford Brothers to attack the council, led by their trained bear, Mammo.

But you see, when it comes to the "fascist" question, the Fords are too dumb to know what it is. To them, it means something obvious like dressing up and goose-stepping and threatening to kill Jews like Hitler. Or else, it's that which tromps upon *their* rights--sorta like, those Council leftys are fascist in how they're stomping their jackboots on the Fords' right to be fascist...

Finally. This story is a long time coming from the Star. Really, it should have been published at the end of November, after everything broke.
Rob Ford: We asked city leaders to break their silence. Here’s what they said

While I agree with Florida's sentiment, I don't think he phrased it well. He doesn't know how to talk in Post-Ford's Toronto language. "Elites? What elites?"
Richard Florida, Rotman School of Management

Rob Ford is the worst and most anti-urban mayor in the history of any major city. He is a stain on the long-lived reputation of Toronto as a progressive, inclusive, well-managed city. The effects of his disastrous reign will be felt in this city for many, many years to come.

I am shocked by the lack of outrage on the part of the city's elite at such a disastrous mayor. Anyone who cares about this city must not only strive to have him removed from office but to put in plan a 21st century governance structure for this great city.

For the great city of Toronto (he should) resign immediately.

John Ralston Saul, president, PEN International

Mr. Ford should resign immediately...
...As to whether Mr. Ford has damaged Toronto’s reputation around the country and around the world, has damaged our ability to be taken seriously, damaged our ability to be thought of as a solid financial capital, as a place of cutting edge social experiment, as a place known for citizen involvement, the answer is, unfortunately, yes.

I am just back from three extended working trips to very different countries. Virtually every meeting, every conversation, began with people making fun of Toronto. By “fun†I do not mean light humour. I mean that people were doubting whether Toronto should be taken seriously. This, however, is not a reason for Mr. Ford to resign. But it is something for which he should be held politically responsible.

more at source

Re: the Star article...Tom Axworthy's contribution particularly good:

But beyond the immediate personal and political fallout, Ford’s shenanigans illustrate a profound problem with modern society — how far we have deviated from the virtue of truthfulness.

Truthfulness is a necessary virtue for civilized society, writes Australian theologian Noel Preston in his book, Understanding Ethics. Preston’s argument is that, unsure of truth, we become distrustful. Distrust, in turn, disintegrates relationships.

Trust in our elected representatives depends on whether you can believe in what they say and therefore give them the benefit of the doubt. This reciprocal trust is the glue that holds our democracy together.

Rob Ford has slowly but surely disintegrated this glue of trust by his penchant for evasion and deceit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back