396     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 555     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 888     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
If mayors can "easily" win elections with 30-35% of the vote, then you should be able to produce several examples of such a thing actually happening in real life.

Just because something is possible in theory doesn't mean that it's likely in practice. What has historically happened in previous mayoral elections is that two frontrunners emerge that share over 80% of the vote, requiring the winner to get more than 40%. The only exceptions to this trend have been landslides (which we can all agree Ford is in no danger of getting).

To find the last time a mayor was elected in Toronto with less than 40% of the vote, you need to go all the way back to 1978. A split on the right resulted in John Sewell winning with only 39% of the vote. The '78 election is really the exception that proves to rule because it was unprecedented at the time, and we haven't seen anything like it in the 35 years and 11 municipal elections since. And even Sewell's 39% would be a bit of a stretch for Ford.

SM: Interesting thoughts here - If things do go sharply downhill for Ford in 2014 and he is still standing in office at election time there may be a record voter turnout
among those voters that are against Ford and that would decide this election later this year...Let's see what happens...

LI MIKE

I'm interested to hear others' perceived motivations for DoFo and RoFo's burnng desire to be in politics.

The only thing I can come up with is "the sense of power it brings", and the visibility. I guess Rob lives on whatever affirmation he can get from campaigning.

It's not for the consituents because the real, material one-on-one interaction is non-existent.

The idea of following in Dad's legacy is kind of hollow since he was only a four-year (one term?) backbencher.

If one argues it's for the kickbacks, well - given how they emphasize their hatred of that kind of thing - wouldn't it be just too easy to catch them in their own hypocrisy?

And their hatred of taxes, spending and politicians makes them virtual anarchists anyway. Why be in government if you hate the system? All they want to do is take city-funded services and infrastructure away - they have no proposed alternatives or ideas, because with their level of affluence, they don't rely on it and thus would never be hurt. Also, their minds don't work as visionaries, only as critics.

And they have Deco. So why politics? Why bother with all the hassle? Maybe it's the hassle that they like. The "street fighting".

I just don't get it.

i've realized that faux right wing populists like the Fords, and their bone headed Teabagger cousins in the US, are essentially trolls.

However, rather than limit their deliberately stupid and passive aggressive BS to comments sections, they have decided to troll the entire political system.

Like all trolls, the Fords do what they do for one very simple reason: they like pissing their enemies off. I really think that's all it is.

I'm interested to hear others' perceived motivations for DoFo and RoFo's burnng desire to be in politics.

The only thing I can come up with is "the sense of power it brings", and the visibility. I guess Rob lives on whatever affirmation he can get from campaigning.

It's not for the consituents because the real, material one-on-one interaction is non-existent.

The idea of following in Dad's legacy is kind of hollow since he was only a four-year (one term?) backbencher.

If one argues it's for the kickbacks, well - given how they emphasize their hatred of that kind of thing - wouldn't it be just too easy to catch them in their own hypocrisy?

And their hatred of taxes, spending and politicians makes them virtual anarchists anyway. Why be in government if you hate the system? All they want to do is take city-funded services and infrastructure away - they have no proposed alternatives or ideas, because with their level of affluence, they don't rely on it and thus would never be hurt. Also, their minds don't work as visionaries, only as critics.

And they have Deco. So why politics? Why bother with all the hassle? Maybe it's the hassle that they like. The "street fighting".

I just don't get it.

For one thing, it has very little about serving the people of Toronto. I think you are quite close, Robbie can't live without attention, and Dougie loves to talk about everything but truths.

Even last time there was an incredible amount of pressure being put on Joey Pants to drop out of the race to give Smitherman a bit more of a chance. I think that most of the people who are in competition for the job at this point have enough sense of civic duty to do the same if it comes down to it.

Which really just means that I wouldn't bet on there being any more than two front-running candidates by voting day: Ford and whoever can convince the others that they have the best chance I suppose.

This is why Doug keeps saying that he hopes anyone who enters the race stays in the race. Although being a scumbag, he doesn't admit that it's because that would skew the results in his favour---he wants to paint it as a matter of personal honour. Which makes no sense, but whatever.

Everyone: This is politics where they definitely should not be - playing the blame game in the aftermath of Toronto's Ice Storm...

This nonsense reminds me more of the political divide in the US more and I know that Ontarians are better than that...

LI MIKE

Mike, the problem is the Fords don't play well with anyone. Wynne didn't shun Ford, he was nowhere to be found the morning of the storm when we had no power. I remember seeing tweets later from Katie Simpson and Daniel Dale saying the same thing, and Kelly immediately contacted Wynne or vice versa, and got things rolling. CP24 asked Ford the next day about his whereabouts and he said he didn't know. This was 24 hours earlier and he didn't know? Then he started mumbling about going out with his driver early, around 8 or 9, and then going to Metro Hall etc.

I agree that this reminds us of the political divide in the US and it's a shame that the Ford brothers have pitted residents against one another like they have. That's going to be their legacy once they are finally out of the picture.

For one thing, it has very little about serving the people of Toronto. I think you are quite close, Robbie can't live without attention, and Dougie loves to talk about everything but truths.

I've noticed that whenever he talks about going places he always mentions getting a lot of support from people. That's what matters to him, that he's told he's a good boy. I think that's the child in a man's body talking that craves mommy and daddy's attention and love.

I have a new hero, Councillor Davis;)

Don Peat's Twitter:

"Cllr Doug Ford claims Cllr Janet Davis told him to "shut his fucking mouth." She has since apologized ."

Don Peat's Twitter:

"Cllr Doug Ford claims Cllr Janet Davis told him to "shut his fucking mouth." She has since apologized ."

I was howling when I read that. And look at him acting all upset about it.

But this gem from Mayor Rob Frod was great:

Mayor Rob Frod ‏@TOMayorFrod 3m

I'm appalled that Cllr Davis would use inappropriate language about my brother Doug. http://youtu.be/gCtaZibVa6w #RespectforExpletives #TOpoli

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Sorry if this has already been discussed, or if maybe this is just an odd coincidence. You know how Rob Ford has been apparently going to the gym and working out? what if hes working out to get in shape so he can take out the person he was talking about in the ranting video. one of the last lines from that video is "im gonna prepare for it" and " I will be in that ring". working out would be a great cover, as it looks innocent enough, when in reality he could be doing it for another reason....

Hey Guys,

Sorry if this has already been discussed, or if maybe this is just an odd coincidence. You know how Rob Ford has been apparently going to the gym and working out? what if hes working out to get in shape so he can take out the person he was talking about in the ranting video. one of the last lines from that video is "im gonna prepare for it" and " I will be in that ring". working out would be a great cover, as it looks innocent enough, when in reality he could be doing it for another reason....
Yeah, he's totally training for a fight. Rob Ford puts the "rock" in Rocky :p

Don Peat's Twitter:

Has there been any report as to what DoFo said that would prompt Janet Davis to give it back to DoFo?

Doug is such a vulnerable and delicate little flower, I'm sure he is shattered by this blatant bullying from another councillor. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back