729     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 565     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
My comment:

January 3, 2014
Except despite his hard stance, many unions actually got raises out of him. Most notably TTC employees and police officers. But it is not as if facts have ever meant anything meaningful to Ford Nation.

TOperson, you should post your perspective as well. That said the comments are moderated, so who knows if they will show up.

I posted this:

@Dennis Charron – We just learned this week that CEO salaries are 171 times the average Canadian’s salary. The ratio used to be more like 50:1. THAT is why private sector employees do not have the wages & benefits they used to. Executives are keeping it for themselves. Why not go after them? They can afford to share. Why should everyone else have to reduce their expectations EXCEPT executives?

Well, this confirms what some people were saying about the SOE.

Rob Ford Refused Advice To Declare Ice Storm An Emergency

CBC | Posted: 01/03/2014 12:02 pm EST | Updated: 01/03/2014 1:57 pm EST

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford turned down appeals from city officials to declare a state of emergency even though hundreds of thousands of residents were without power after a brutal pre-Christmas ice storm.

In an email leaked to the press on Friday, deputy city manager John Livey wrote that he directly asked the mayor to call a state of emergency.

"We are getting ready to ask the mayor to declare this an emergency largely because it will assist the staff at the province to make resources available to us, crews, generators, facilities for warming centres," he wrote in a letter dated Dec. 22, at 5:02 p.m. That was less than 24 hours after the storm impacted electricity to a substantial number of Toronto Hydro customers.

Ford ignored the recommendation, saying there was "no reason" to call the ice storm an emergency.

more at source

Well, this confirms what some people were saying about the SOE.

The wording gives enough wriggle room to allow for the possibility that the letter was drawn up as a contingency, just in case the final decision was ultimately made to request that the mayor declare a SOE.

In any case, the fact that there is reasonable grounds for us all to suspect that RoDoFo would potentially play politics with this decision, whether or not he actually did, is worrying enough.

I agree. Chow's numbers have been declining and I think Ford will hammer Tory about his push to raise taxes to fund transit. The others stand no chance IMO. And I think a lot of people who think Ford is a fool will simply not vote because they're even more disgusted with politicians than ever. The only game changer will be an arrest for something significant.

Definitely can't rule him out. And yet it's very hard to win without a solid team of strategists and fundraisers.....and who is Ford going to turn to in 2014?

Remember, in 2010, Ford had a small but highly effective team - they developed the gravy train strategy, wrote his talking points, developed his policy platform, did his polling, organized voters....everything. All Ford had to do was show up relatively sober and stay on point. Who's he got left? Only Doug, and he's no strategist. Even John Capobianco, who stepped in to help Ford pay off his election debt and was on Team Ford by mid-term, has moved on.

As for funding, Ford didn't raise as much as Smitherman, but he did get lots of help from the big blue machine - I'm guessing that was a combination of family connections (e.g., Jim Flaherty) and conservatives who saw Ford as the only viable right-wing candidate (see this interesting map of donations: http://www.pressprogress.ca/en/post/follow-money-mapping-donations-harperland-ford-nation).

But how much of the Tory establishment will support a second Ford run? Leaders like Hudak and Harper have been expediently silent, not wanting to alienate the uneducated masses of Ford Nation. But I can't imagine the Tory old guard is too keen on the crack-smoking, pussy eating, gang-befriending version of Rob Ford that's emerged within the last year. Not to mention the cherry on top: the Fords' ill-considered attack on Andrew Pringle, a prominent Ontario conservative and former chair of the PC Ontario Fund - I can't imagine that landed without consequence.

Ford is undeniably resilient, but the election team and the money they bring in is the secret sauce. Yesterday Ford refused to "drop names" on his election team, so I guess we'll have to wait and see. But I think that will be the difference maker.

The sad thing is he doesn't need a strategy. he just has to remember the last one. He's campaigning directly to the adherents and not trying to win new votes.

The sad thing is he doesn't need a strategy. he just has to remember the last one. He's campaigning directly to the adherents and not trying to win new votes.
He doesn't even have to do any campaigning (which he will do because that is the part he likes.)
Everyone will know his name when it comes time to cast the ballot. That is all he needs.

So that makes OUR job all the harder. We need to get out and talk to people. Share information. Make sure he has the least possible chance.

We need to reduce the income gap as much as possible. CEOs should not make around 200 times as much as an average employee. Some jurisdictions cap maximum wages as being ten to fifty times the minimum wage.

That's not a very well-thought out strategy, it's also a very slipper slope?

Do you think about limiting that strategy to only publicly traded companies?

What about non-tsx corps?

I think there is a fundamental flaw in directing an action of a Private corporation.

I could be convinced to agree for any public traded private corps, that total exec compensation should be limited but for all CEOs? Will you tell the local burger owner what to pay him/herself? The home builder?

Definitely can't rule him out. And yet it's very hard to win without a solid team of strategists and fundraisers.....and who is Ford going to turn to in 2014?

Interesting, well put post!

I wouldn't count Ford out, because/but it is a long nine months ahead. We've seen this year what happens when Ford loses his backroom team (not the crack smoking scandal, but the handling of that and his increasingly bad public appearances). Without a team, Ford will have tough time even if he's got support.

Last edited:
That's not a very well-thought out strategy, it's also a very slipper slope?

Do you think about limiting that strategy to only publicly traded companies?

What about non-tsx corps?

I think there is a fundamental flaw in directing an action of a Private corporation.

I could be convinced to agree for any public traded private corps, that total exec compensation should be limited but for all CEOs? Will you tell the local burger owner what to pay him/herself? The home builder?

Pfft. Switzerland is already looking at this quite seriously.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/swiss-vote-may-cap-ceo-pay-at-12x-lowest-worker-s-salary-1.2435505

And sure we can tell private corporations what to do! We do it all the time. E.g. product labelling, health and safety regulations, financial reporting. Companies only exist because public laws allow them to - laws that can be changed at any time. It's a privilege to be allowed to form a company, not a right.

Interesting, well put post!

I wouldn't count Ford out, because/but it is a long nine months ahead. We've seen this year what happens when Ford loses his backroom team (not the crack smoking scandal, but the handling of that and his increasingly bad public appearances). Without a team, Ford will have tough time even if he's got support.

Yes, I really am looking forward to the future of Team Ford with Dougie as campaign manager. I personally am waiting to see how much actual words/content are used to fill in between the slogans.

Actually, RoFo has said that he wants to run for re-election on his fiscal record, not making anything personal, especially his personal problems of substance abuse, domestic abuse, bigitoted/racial slurs, lack of math skills, etc; however, why does he keep bringing up his weight?

Last edited:
The wording gives enough wriggle room to allow for the possibility that the letter was drawn up as a contingency, just in case the final decision was ultimately made to request that the mayor declare a SOE.

In any case, the fact that there is reasonable grounds for us all to suspect that RoDoFo would potentially play politics with this decision, whether or not he actually did, is worrying enough.

Who are we kidding. Ford plays politics with everything. Period.

For the Ford brothers, there's political juice to be squeezed out of every situation. Ice storm, power outage--it's always a good time to campaign. I'm surprised Rob wasn't out on the Gardiner handing out magnets to people involved in that early morning crash earlier today.

He doesn't even have to do any campaigning (which he will do because that is the part he likes.)
Everyone will know his name when it comes time to cast the ballot. That is all he needs.

So that makes OUR job all the harder. We need to get out and talk to people. Share information. Make sure he has the least possible chance.

One thing worth mentioning about Olivia Chow's campaigning and election strategy--and I say this from my own experience volunteering for her last 2 Federal campaigns--is that she has a huge base of supporters and volunteers and a phenomenal ground game. IIRC her margin of victory in the last election was even higher than her internal polling. She is a master of getting out the vote and this alone may be enough to ensure her victory. (it's also worth noting that she may be most effective in doing this in the Old City which traditionally has the lowest turnout in Muni elections, and with young voters who rarely vote at all)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back