News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 619     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ice storm: Rob Ford gets icy blast from freezing TCHC residents

Some residents of a Toronto Community Housing building on McCowan Ave. – which has been without power since Saturday – berated Mayor Rob Ford about the lack of electricity in their building and the city’s lack of action at a barbecue held on their behalf.

Two residents of the building suggested Ford was only there so he could be on television and get re-elected as mayor. Ironically, an aid was discretely handing out Rob Ford for Mayor fridge magnets while Ford listened to residents concerns.

“We want to know how long the power is going to be out?” demanded one resident. Another resident, bundled up in a cloth coat, and a wool scarf, weeped as she expressed her frustration to the Mayor. “Nothing, nothing. No food at all,” she said as she cried.

“You’re not for the people,” said another resident. “You say you are. But you’re nothing but a crackhead,” shouted another resident.

“It’s just so frustrating at night trying to sleep in the cold,” added resident Surria Razazada, who is six months pregnant.

“Not everyone can go to the shelter. It’s not easy. It’s freezing at night time. We sleep with jackets, socks. It’s ridiculous. They need to do something … It’s frustrating to see our mayor not doing anything, just giving us words.”
Those two residents must be UT members! :p

Someone was alleging in the Star comments section that Ford pulled some strings to get his and his mom's power up sooner. They were apparently the first areas to be restored. Would love it if there was a way to prove this. It wouldn't endear him to those still freezing after 4 days...

But he wouldn't be, he already stated on Sunday that he would be staying in a hotel with his family.

Hydro has stopped pruning the overhanging branches, I used to see them regularly, haven't seen any trucks in years. Nearly every house on my street has branches overhanging the power lines. Penny wise, pound foolish?

Call 311, problem addressed in a few days.
Mississauga prunes the trees there. I don't know what their tree canape is like or if it's good/bad for trees but they fared roughly about the same as Toronto, proportionately.

Someone was alleging in the Star comments section that Ford pulled some strings to get his and his mom's power up sooner. They were apparently the first areas to be restored. Would love it if there was a way to prove this. It wouldn't endear him to those still freezing after 4 days...

I have a second generation family friend that lives not too far from either, and they didn't get power back until early yesterday, my mom's place and the parents of the 2nd gen friend got it back yesterday morning too, on the east side of Bayview in North York after 3.5 days... I'm not sure RoFo actually did get power back early. (that he would have tried to get his power back on early, wouldn't surprise me. That he actually did, would also.)

I know a Russian guy at work who says that this was the straw that broke the camel's back. He was willing to forgive Rob's problems but not declaring it an emergency made him see that he's trying to benefit himself while the City suffers.

I don't care if the SOE would help or not, but if that's what's making people finally wake up to what that piece of shit is all about (i.e. himself), then that's great.

No way... The fridge magnets again... even in those circumstances??? He is completely insane.

Must... cam.. paign... Must... cam... paign... Must... cam... paign... Must... cam... paign... Must... cam... paign... Must... cam... paign...

1297416849778_ORIGINAL.jpg

Rob Ford clearly sees ice storm victims as election props--maybe he'll start showing up at car accidents to hand out magnetic business cards.

No mention of Norm Kelly traveling to Florida? Peepers would have been all over that story

Right. Not true. can you let us know a single thing Ford has actually done? Anything at all to help this situation? Rob Ford directing traffic? Come on! The reason why Ford is seen as such a horrible low rent mayor, is because he is. We expect much better from actual smart people, like David Miller. We expect sfa from Ford. But please, do let us know what he has done, except grandstand? I'm interested.
I wasn't expecting Ford to do anything. It was beyond his control. It was a hydro thing. I wasn't expecting the mayor to speed up the process whatsoever. If David Miller were mayor, I would not have expected him to speed up the process, as well. How exactly can a mayor make Toronto Hydro speed up their work? Stand behind them and say "guys, work harder!"?

I wasn't expecting Ford to do anything. It was beyond his control. It was a hydro thing. I wasn't expecting the mayor to speed up the process whatsoever. If David Miller were mayor, I would not have expected him to speed up the process, as well. How exactly can a mayor make Toronto Hydro speed up their work? Stand behind them and say "guys, work harder!"?

I'm sure the folks in Calgary would agree with your assessment.

No mention of Norm Kelly traveling to Florida? Peepers would have been all over that story
The current trinity of NK, RF and DMW absolutely sucks.
I am a fan of Josh Matlow. He worked really hard during this crisis, and called RF on the lack of a SOE. And Joe Mihevik did too. No one would vote for Joe as mayor. I wonder if anyone would for Josh?

How reporters bungled the Toronto ice storm blackout
Throughout this entire ice storm ordeal, I have seen news source after news source confusing two numbers: The number of electricity customers affected, and the number of people affected.
“Each customer represents about 2.5 actual residents, according to Toronto Hydro.”

That means the initial blackout didn’t put 300,000 Torontonians in the dark, it put three quarters of a million.

If you read the headlines, it sounds like about 10% of Toronto’s 2.5 million people are without power. That’s incorrect. It’s closer to one in three.

My guess had been closer to a million or about 40% of the city.
Either 30 or 40%--that is an emergency!

Obtain more feet on the ground to do grunt work, threrfore, reducing the time to process and resolve each situation? The extra resources were available, and it was Ford's duty to abtain them. He Wanted control, and he fumbled the ball on the one yard line.

It is going around that Ford's problem with Wynne has yet again coloured his actions. Thinking with his ego, for lack of a better term, has cost the "common folk" a butt-load of money as one example of his inadequacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back