295     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 448     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 820     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a short aside - Mom Ford's is Randy's place. This was confirmed by journalists who went to the family's Christmas party, where they were given a tour of the house.

"Randy's got it made in spades." Repeated it twice.

Ha ha, this has to be dialogue from The Trailer Park Boys, right? The episode where Ricky's in awe of Randy because Randy's living for free in Mr. Lahey's trailer?

Think you're reading a bit too much into it. I'd stay in a hotel too, I don't have any issues with my siblings or parents, just why make my inconvenience theirs too?

It suggests to the rest of the city that Ford doesn't relate to the average guy's (person's, but to Ford it's 'guy's') problems. That in a pinch you just pick up and spend a few days at a hotel. "No big deal. "

He would be organizing places for people to go to. He would be trying all ways possible to communicate with the people who had no phone or internet connections. He would be all over CBC, CP24. He would be telling neighbours to check on elderly and frail neighbours. He would be urging people not to drive on the roads.

Here is what he would not be doing - going on TV stating there is no emergency, then telling people to go to hotels.

Oh and I am sure David Miller would also ask that neighbours take in neighbours and I am positive he would not talk about 20,000 Housing units without heat and hydro by telling them to get a hotel. No. Miller would already understand they could not afford hotels and I bet he would have hooked up with a few community centres and churches to ensure those who needed shelter would have it. In short, he would do everything a smart, intelligent, compassionate person would do.

But we have a small-minded, idiotic child man whiner for mayor, also a coward.

Miller would never have said shit about having to cancel fucking Kanye and what a hard ship that would be.

Yeah I am pissed that some people seem to think Ford, fucking FORD is better than Miller. Millers toenail is better than an entire Ford.

This is gold!

Yes, and why not? Am I supposed to pretend I like Ford? I wish he didn't exist. I will not pretend otherwise. He is a nasty boorish human being with little to no use to this world. I could care less if he died.

If I may, I think Vox is asking "are we still doing this?" to the person who asked "are we still doing this?"

Good news, trucks from Michigan, Illinois, New York & Manitoba are now on the way here to help out those brave, tired souls at Toronto Hydro. I wonder how many geniuses it took to figure out 36 hours later that we need some help here?

Yea. That's what really gets me. It's not really the storm. It's how Ford, Toronto Hydro and company reacted to it. They had no idea just how grave the situation was and reacted terribly. Media was warning us for days before how bad things would get. What were Ford/Hydro doing? Why did they wait almost 2 days after the storm hit to call in reinforcements? The warming stations are a joke. They couldn't accommodate the amount of people without power. Expecting people to "stay with friends/family" and just deal with the extreme temperatures is so 3rd rate. This is what paying excessively high taxes and hydro bills gets us. LOL.

Rob Ford insulted quite a large part of his very voter base by not declaring state of emergency.

If Rob Ford got his way, then anyone who is below the poverty line would freeze to death (and yes, that includes some university students).

So if he declared a state of emergency, the power would magically come on? Despite the insistence of city and hydro staff that it wouldn't make anything happen differently then it is already?
Or is this just another easy soundbite to spew?

Yea. That's what really gets me. It's not really the storm. It's how Ford, Toronto Hydro and company reacted to it. They had no idea just how grave the situation was and reacted terribly. Media was warning us for days before how bad things would get. What were Ford/Hydro doing? Why did they wait almost 2 days after the storm hit to call in reinforcements? The warming stations are a joke. They couldn't accommodate the amount of people without power. Expecting people to "stay with friends/family" and just deal with the extreme temperatures is so 3rd rate. This is what paying excessively high taxes and hydro bills gets us. LOL.

Given the how the ice storm and the heavy rains & flooding back in July (and the horror shows of Sandy and Katrina) have been handled, I think that is the real lesson: expect a 3rd rate response, assume you are on your own. The emergency-preparedness info does say to be always be prepared to cope with a 72-hour period without electricity, water, etc, and people need to take that seriously. Not that everyone will, but it would help if more did.

Given the how the ice storm and the heavy rains & flooding back in July (and the horror shows of Sandy and Katrina) have been handled, I think that is the real lesson: expect a 3rd rate response, assume you are on your own. The emergency-preparedness info does say to be always be prepared to cope with a 72-hour period without electricity, water, etc, and people need to take that seriously. Not that everyone will, but it would help if more did.

I think after this one, many people will take it seriously. I know I will be stocking up on candles, flash lights, coolers, etc.

Re: Ford and emergencies. He was useless during the flood too. Nothing new I just do not understand why anyone bothers to even have this clown around even as a figurehead. Yesterday he said three hospitals were running on generator power when the papers and CBC radio were saying it was 2. He cannot even manage to speak his rehearsed lines without throwing in some utter shite. If we were in really serious trouble, Ford would be our worst nightmare.

So if he declared a state of emergency, the power would magically come on? Despite the insistence of city and hydro staff that it wouldn't make anything happen differently then it is already?
Or is this just another easy soundbite to spew?

The question is why not call one? Seems like the only thing it would do is help the process along. It would not hurt would it?

You're supposed to provide leadership for the rest of the city. That doesn't necessarily entail setting an example. Pretty sure no one cares whether Norm Kelly's power is out, and if it was, no one would care if his family was staying in a hotel, because he doesn't shirk his responsibilities.

Or, come to think of it, Premier Wynne--remember that she lives in the North Toronto heart of storm damage (and there was a honking big profile of the Wynne-Rounthwaite household in the Star this weekend, to boot)

So my point is, I don't think we should criticize Ford for putting his family in a hotel. That's petty, and his supporters love the ammo it provides. What he should be attacked for is the real problem, which is that he's been MIA and using taking care of his family as an excuse when he has more than enough resources to not need to spend more than 5 minutes attending to the family.

Or for that matter, couldn't *his own* family be able to take care of itself in Ford's "necessary absence"? That is, if it were functioning properly, etc.

It's unnecessary.

You quoted half my message...typical. What would it cost to call one?
I would call one just to give citizens in need the feeling that all recourses are being thrown at the problem.
Ford just said the next update will be in 27 hours. The fat fck does not give a shit now that his power is back on.
Everything the guy said is just retarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back