867     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 777     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 578     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford Nation is not socially conservative at all. They condone hard drugs, impaired driving, wife-beating, phallic hats, hanging out with known felons, and dancing in the middle of church service.

Well to be fair, wife-beating and church dancing are both fully compatible with social conservatism. Or at least, no less compatible with conservatism than with liberalism.

But having worked with people with mental health issues brought on by years of sexual abuse, I wonder if the something similar happened to RoFo and his siblings.

I've speculated on this before--and it may very well be a sidebar of the freewheeling 70s/80s-upbringing factors that explain the drug-dealing and such. The clammy stench of Penthouse Forum in the air, etc--though within that kind of family environment, it's less a clear matter of "victimization" than something which compounds existing twisted sociopathy. Almost like you can see *everyone* there potentially involved in weird Aristocrats-ic sex games amongst themselves.

Though the more conventional, victim-centric matter of "mental health issues brought on by years of sexual abuse" could well explain the penis-hat-wearing/dog-abusing tendencies among I Hate The War On Rob Ford types...

While there is much talk about the cerebrally challenged Ford Villagers, I really don't know who keeps voting in this raving lunatic.

And, y'know, as I've long speculated he'd be among the likeliest defeatees in 2014, Mammo might be an interesting coalmine-canary litmus for everything. First of all, other than machine-incumbency-apathy, he *doesn't* have Rob Ford's mystical "nation" reach--that's why his bid for the 2010 Mayoralty flopped so badly, he opted for Council reelection instead. And also, unlike the Fords, he doesn't have family riches to fall back upon or resort to--in effect, he's hostage to the public teat, and has been historically among the highest-and-most-frivolous-spending Councillors as a consequence. Essentially, Mammo owes *everything* to having bluffed into elected power in the 1990 Rae landslide. And long before ferris wheels and monorails and Woodbine Live!, Mammo cornered the market on harebrained-tinpot self-serving approach to wardheeling urban visioneering--y'know, the rebuild of Beautiful Downtown Emery with the world's tallest flagpole or something or another--but other than a demolished strip mall and whatnot, what's become of that over the past decade? Just like the Fords, he's comically incompetent at actually pulling things through, no matter how Council tries to grease the pole on his behalf--other than a few brownfield redevelopments w/streets named after political cronies and that silly maple leaf paved into Sheppard and Weston.
IIRC Mammo's been sounding a note of personal/family distress lately re some of these media shenanigans backfiring on him--methinks that when/if he's defeated next year, he'll be a broken man. A likelier "broken man" than anyone else presently on Council, in fact. (RoFo will be likelier dead than broken.)

Wonder if Rob's "main" problem with his diet get a hit during the Christmas holidays?

Christmas-Dinner-dp.jpg

Ford Nation is not socially conservative at all. They condone hard drugs, impaired driving, wife-beating, phallic hats, hanging out with known felons, and dancing in the middle of church service.

The difference, is that there is not difference. We can all be guilty of any of these offenses. Any difference is in how we see them as morally exceptable. A good example is the religious dogma we embrace.

That's making me ruminate over how the Reign of the Fords is and is not Orwellian.

War is Peace. Kind of a stretch. The battles are serious, but for the most part rhetorical and emotional. (Except for some poor souls in the wrong houses or buildings in Etobicoke.

War is Peace. The Fords talk in sports terms.

To be fair, I dropped out of university twice (Carleton, Ryerson) and college (George Brown) not because I couldn't handle it (As and Bs) but because I wasn't interested enough in finishing.

Though, I dare say, I'm not half the moron that Ford is so maybe he did suck at it.

Ya, but RoFo constantly lied about his college achievements.

I see it as easy to spin this way: Paper has knowledge that the Mayor is involved in criminal activity, and has criminal associations. It isn't required to be impartial or deferential to the Mayor based on this information they possess. The Star proceeds with the view that he is corrupt. The paper has a duty to report truthful information, not act as if Ford deserves to be given the benefit of the doubt because of his status.

I don't disagree, however I don't think Ford Nation loyals see it this way. Too much nuanced thought goes into your interpretation and it doesn't reinforce their beliefs. We have to remember that we're not dealing with rational people here.

"The truth came out this week because of the months we've spent in court and the pressure we've put on the police chief."
What is The Star alluding to when they mention their time in court? The conflict of interest cases?

My guess would be the time they spent trying to get the Lisi ITO released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back