297     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 468     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 653     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
That RoFo bus tour reminded me of an incident where two teens ran into Rob Ford in a park in the middle of the day and in his suit.

I thought it was pretty strange and really surreal back then. This was before Garrison Ball, crackgate and all the substance abuse reports.

That incident was quickly forgotten. I wonder how it ties in with everything else that we know now.

for those that may not have seen it before...

ryIm4SY.jpg

Attachments

• ryIm4SY.jpg
    ryIm4SY.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 630
I always thought that encounter was so bizarre. Even more bizarre is his almost pathological need to pose for pictures under any circumstance.

Agreed, the lemur. Fast-talkin' tends to slam sounds together, push pronunciations further away from the statistical mean of "correct."

I have to admit, I prefer that fast & casual affrication over the dull, stolid, plodding, carefully pronounced version of "Toronto" - even though I would normally expect better diction from the chief magistrate of this city; I just don't think Rob Ford is capable of such discernment. He probably worries that being too careful of his speech would let down his core voters.

There's probably something to that. The statistical mean of 'correct' is just that; we each have a range of pronunciations and usages that we consider more or less acceptable, but it's all in relation to a standard has no real basis. Most people don't realize that they have a casual pronunciation of 'Toronto' (or any other word) but when asked to 'say Toronto' will produce a more careful 'citation form'.

Even more bizarre is his almost pathological need to pose for pictures under any circumstance.

One of the details I recall reading about the infamous photo taken in front of the crack house - and I can't remember where I saw this particular bit, sorry...although it was likely in the Toronto Star - is that Ford all but leaped up and raced outside to pose for piccys when the cameras came out. I do remember thinking, "Of course he did. Of course he did. Robby, you stupid, reckless fucking moron, you."

As to why, it's no mystery: Apart from anything else, the man is, very simply, an egomaniac. He obviously loves being the center of attention and having his gigantic ass kissed. That seems to be his notion of what a Mayor is. Pose for pictures, engage in cheap, substance-free public relations stunts (the only way in which Slob can genuinely be described as "substance free!" ;) ), soak up all the adulation, punish those who don't sufficiently kiss your ass to your satisfaction. All that boring crap like building consensus, governing and anything that might be described as "work" is for faggy elitists.

So I was out on the fringes of Ford country this weekend (Scarlett Rd south of Lawrence) and it was again confirmed to me that Ford is still a frequent customer of Gardenia House (often leaving with Chinese food and a pizza box, oddly) as well as being a customer of Sun Cleaners. Maybe that's where he gets his actual dry cleaning done.

I don't think RoFo really has FAS facial features. I do think it's likely he has some significant intellectual impairments though.

Apparently, there is a whole spectrum to the disorder. Any amount of alcohol will damage the fetus, especially the brain development, which leads to significant intellectual impairments. He does seem to have some of the characteristics, including the neuro-personality traits, and the nose and eyes.

As to why, it's no mystery: Apart from anything else, the man is, very simply, an egomaniac. He obviously loves being the center of attention and having his gigantic ass kissed. That seems to be his notion of what a Mayor is. Pose for pictures, engage in cheap, substance-free public relations stunts (the only way in which Slob can genuinely be described as "substance free!" ;) ), soak up all the adulation, punish those who don't sufficiently kiss your ass to your satisfaction. All that boring crap like building consensus, governing and anything that might be described as "work" is for faggy elitists.

At the risk of playing Pop Psychologist - I don't think it's that he loves being the centre of attention as much as he loves being loved. He's the stereotypical little brother with a domineering mother and he just wants people to think he's awesome. So he thinks all this attention is great and he doesn't get that all these football-game brouhahas are more from people laughing AT him than WITH him because for him it's all good.

Eventually the truth will out and he'll have to face it. I don't just mean literally (like, most people don't approve of smoking crack, consorting with gangs etc.) but in a deep, "there's a massive hole in my psyche and I need to talk to someone about how messed up Doug and my mom are..." kind of way"....

There was speculation earlier that Blair gave Ford an out to resign without being charged. Ford didn't take it, so charges will end up coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back