4.7K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 684     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, it can't really be translated because men have always had more agency than women. Women are still being objectified and judged based on their looks and sexual availability to men.

Exactly! Some of the people here who are so quick to pronounce what is or is not sexist strike me as people who have never bothered to spend much time thinking or reading about sexism. Objectification cannot be considered outside power relations. Period. Ford clearly has the power here over both his wife and that female staff member. We have heard about these women (and their pussies) exclusively from Ford in his desperate attempt to assert his authority and keep his job. Both of them have been dragged into this with no ability to control the narrative themselves.

Really curious on the provincial angle. Anyone care to weigh in.

Does the city get its mandate from the province? Can the province actually pass legislation that says that's it, time for a new mayor?

What are these 'tools' it may give the province? Will Hudak stand up for Ford or cut him lose?

Is this akin to the Federal government saying a premier has to go?

Is there any historical precedent for this?

Wynne is just playing politics. She's fully aware that Hudak won't support it. The only way he gets to be Premier is if he can win seats in North York, Scarborough and Etobicoke. There's no way he'll risk losing those potential votes. She will use his refusal as an opportunity to score political points against the Conservatives

Riiight.....So, why do all parties have conventions to select their respective leaders prior to the elections? ... Regardless, it's party policies that make people decide their choices, not their local MPP.

OK, we get it, FFS. You're not a fan of one feature of the party-based parliamentary system of gov't. Point made. Shhhh...

Yes exactly. The situation not the phrase itself.

Considering that statements have no meaning outside of specific social contexts, I don't understand your point. Of course it's the situation that makes it sexist. Just like throwing a banana at someone can be benign or extremely racist depending on the context.

Now Doug thinks rehab is a good idea. Sorry, but that subway left the station a really, really, really, long time ago.

Sounds like they know what's coming down the pike and want to get out of Dodge before the humiliation of being stripped of his authority kicks in. The timing they want is, they announce Rob's going away for whatever their vague idea of counselling is, and THEN Norm Kelly is announced as interim Mayor. They don't want it to happen the other way around.

One wonders what kind of language, etc Doug Sr. practiced within the household. (I can almost see him as the kind of dad who'd get his sons a hooker for their birthday. No, I'm not saying he *did*. Just wondering where certain, uh, "attitudes" came from...)

Okay I just watched Jimmy Kimmel and The Daily show vids. I am normally serious on this subject but right now I am busting a gut. Both were hilarious.
It's true comedy gold for them. I can't find anything on Letterman or Leno from tonight.

The worst thing is, this is mayor after he promised to be on his best behaviour.
He knows the world is watching his every move and this is how he behaves.
It's mind boggling how clueless he is.

You guys are too much. So if a woman says, I don't need to go to male strip clubs because I've got a stud of a husband at home that's sexist? Gimme a break.

It was incredibly crude and vulgar but he was not objectifying his wife. Or saying she has no other purpose in life but a sexual one. You guys are being ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm finally anti-Ford too. There are ya happy?

1. Man, you're a dick. Of course it's also sexist.
2. Are you sure you know what 'objectify' means? He did not use the name 'Renata' at any point in a conversation about his sexual relations with his wife! Man, you're an asshole.
3. Not happy, angry that you're trying to have it both ways, defending the man but crawling on the bandwagon. Man, you're a pile of shit.

Sounds like they know what's coming down the pike and want to get out of Dodge before the humiliation of being stripped of his authority kicks in. The timing they want is, they announce Rob's going away for whatever their vague idea of counselling is, and THEN Norm Kelly is announced as interim Mayor. They don't want it to happen the other way around.

My theory is that none of this circus is by accident. Some PR firm from the US might be behind it. Making him getting maximum exposure (the whole world talking about him) and stretch it as long as they can. I don't even recall Canada as a whole getting this much airtime on US TV. Then, when the time's right, he's going to go to rehab and run again. This is made obvious with the show he's putting and now he's getting his own TV show. Unbelievable...

City Council fell for it by having that farce of a council and a vote. The mayor's vote counts for 1 and they could have resume managing the city without him and just ignore him. Because every Councillors wants their 15 minutes of glory on the world stage, all they are doing is fueling the Ford Circus further. I watched CNN this morning and many panelist agreed that despite everything and the polls, he could still win due to the silent majority. From a PR perspective, it makes sense and he's doing what he can to win again, as a citizen, I find that very selfish and embarassing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back