News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 631     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF, Doug Ford voted Yes?

He has to toe the provincial conservative line. It's the dreaded politicking that apparently he hates.

Hudak and Flaherty asked for Ford to take a leave of absence. Doug then soon after said he asked Rob to take a leave of absence (also adding the out that that Rob makes his own decisions, since Doug doesnt want Rob to actually take a leave of absence). This is just a continuation of that piece of BS meant to save Douggie.

The only thing that I think can give DoFo a bad day/reason to be subdued is the fear of losing his star candidate status. Pure ego.

WTF, Doug Ford voted Yes?
Petition signed by Wong-Tam, Mihevc, Grimes, Layton, Palacio, Parker, Lee, Crawford, Cho, McConnell, Robinson, Matlow, McMahon, Milczyn, Thompson, Fletcher, Fragedakis, Moeser, Minnan-Wong, Pasternak, Del Grande, Ainslie, Bailao, Berardinetti, Carroll, Colle, De Baeremaeker, Doucette, Filion, Lindsay Luby (total: 30)

Council may choose to move Wong's motion over to the integrity commissioner. If that happens, the much anticipated showdown with Ford won't be happening.

So what does a petition mean?

It's not binding and doesn't actually do anything - it's normally just a way of requesting that council take action.

Cllr Robinson's office apparently put out a press release saying that 30 of the 44 councillors actually signed the petition - that's the number that actually matters. I'm disappointed it's not more than that tbh.

It's not binding and doesn't actually do anything - it's normally just a way of requesting that council take action.

Cllr Robinson's office apparently put out a press release saying that 30 of the 44 councillors actually signed the petition - that's the number that actually matters. I'm disappointed it's not more than that tbh.
I'm surprised Vaughan didn't sign

Text of Robinson's petition
Mayor Rob Ford,

We write to you as colleagues representing wards from across the city and the political spectrum.

Over the past six months, and especially the past few weeks, we have grown increasingly concerned by the seemingly endless cycle of allegations, denials and belated admissions about your behaviour.

Toronto is distracted and for good reason. Our city's reputation has been damaged and continues to suffer, and it has become difficult to focus on the pressing and substantive issues facing City Council.

Today we stand together to ask that you step aside and take a leave of absence to address your challenges privately, outside of the public eye. We believe that the majority of Torontonians share our view, and that City Council will excuse any absences you require to address the situation with finality.

The city and the Office of the Mayor demands nothing less than honesty, accountability and transparency.

Maybe he doesn't think it goes far enough, and wants the petition to fully resign rather than take an LOA.

Layton's my councillor, he didn't sign either. Could also be they don't want to be perceived as Ford's 'lefty enemies' any more than they already are.

Layton's my councillor, he didn't sign either. Could also be they don't want to be perceived as Ford's 'lefty enemies' any more than they already are.

The left on Council has been surprisingly quiet through this whole affray. They are betting, not without reason, that criticism from Ford's former allies carries a lot more weight. But as someone mentioned earlier, this isn't really any time for the restrained high road. If they have concerns, they should express them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back