805     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 615     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I truly hope it does not turn out to be organized crime to the extent that Montreal has it. How scary is that?
That seems unlikely here. Some of the construction contractors here are very large public corporations. It's unlikely that they would have been infiltrated in the same manner as the privately held companies in Montreal. In Montreal, it was this structure that allowed them to bid high and use a rotation to get everyone work, without having to bid low. Here if there was corruption, it would be at risk of losing to a clean, lower bid.

I suppose nfitz. I am just getting so jaded as we hear of one after another of our public figures, senators etc that are pathetic lying losers. Is there nobody that is honest anymore?

That seems unlikely here. Some of the construction contractors here are very large public corporations. It's unlikely that they would have been infiltrated in the same manner as the privately held companies in Montreal. In Montreal, it was this structure that allowed them to bid high and use a rotation to get everyone work, without having to bid low. Here if there was corruption, it would be at risk of losing to a clean, lower bid.

Large corporations (that do construction) like the one related to the sports jersey the mayor always wears?

How is it not true? The drinking and driving alone is a danger to the city, and at the very least, THE ABSOLUTE LEAST, he's opening himself up to blackmail from organized crime.

Exactly my thoughts. Any politician who is open to blackmail is a significant security liability. How are we to know if a politician is doing something because of a blackmailer behind the scenes pulling the strings? Surely we can no longer trust the mayor with things like the police budget if that is the case.

Large corporations (that do construction) like the one related to the sports jersey the mayor always wears?
How is the MLSE related to any construction companies?

I'm sure the mafia is active in Toronto ... but I don't see any indication it's largely active in construction. Perhaps it has it's hands in some of the smaller companies, but not the large-scale bid rigging and corruption of politicians you see in Montreal. Montreal was hardly a secret, a lot of people have known about it since the 1970s. I'm less sure if they are into waste management here ... but there are still a lot of waste companies here that aren't mafia based. Other than the traditional gambling, prostitution, and protection rackets, I'm not really sure what they are up to.

Last edited:
I like how every one of his sentences gets it's own paragraph.

It's like reading a Little Golden Book.
That actually used to be the defacto style in wire service news copy - I don't know how old Joe is, or where he went to J-school (if he did), but he may never have graduated past "community weekly 101" style into a more mature editorial style.

How is it not true? The drinking and driving alone is a danger to the city, and at the very least, THE ABSOLUTE LEAST, he's opening himself up to blackmail from organized crime.

Drinking and driving is a danger to individual people, not the city. Unless he plows into and destroys some key piece of infrastructure, the city will be just fine.

Good find on the CBC article. There is a guy in my hometown (rural) that is reportedly in the Calabrian mafia. I do believe he is in jail for trying to steal guns and rope and such at a Canadian Tire in Quebec. All the Italian restaurants he owned have burned down. Just saying.

Tanenbaum absolutely does - huge construction conglomerate. Stavros only sold produce. Tanenbaum built roads...
Did he? I didn't know that.

Certainly no MLSE involvement these days ... and Tanenbaum has no control over MLSE these days ... the agreement between Rogers and Bell requires them to vote in a block. Still, Tanenbaum doesn't sound very Sicilian to me ... and looks like his constuction empire is now mostly part of the French multinational Lafarge - a widely-held corporation that's going to be relatively immune from large-scale corruption.

I you implying that Tanenbaum is corrupt, or are you just being pointing out a construction link?

I remember reading last year somewhere (maybe it was on UT?) that all the new condos being built were to launder mafioso money.
Montreal may have the obvious mob activity but Toronto is where they launder their money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back