5K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 705     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he did win, it would be on strictly popularity contest/grudge voting---seems to be common knowledge that he's done virtually nothing as a councillor.

Doug's venom towards Blair, along with him acting liking a thug has cost him dearly. Do you really think the Cons would risk this loose cannon on their already sinking ship?

I believe the Fifth Estate has indicated that "new" information will be included tonight. Anyone have any idea of what that might be? Will it be new to those who just read headlines or new to those of us who live and breathe this whole thing? :)

Doug's venom towards Blair, along with him acting liking a thug has cost him dearly. Do you really think the Cons would risk this loose cannon on their already sinking ship?
You are, of course, right but the Conservatives seem to be oblivious to their increasing departure from reality and electability. One more loose cannon might not sink their sinking ship any faster.

As shamed as it should be, the Ford name is a brand that can probably be elected in north Etobicoke municipal and provincial elections for decades. Our governments are full of people trading on their family name and connections. However, Rob's bumbling cartoon quality is what took the edge off his anger and cemented the affection for him among his Nation. Doug has none of that. He just seems mean and calculating. Hard to see where he had any more potential than to be a minor minister in an underwhelming Tory government. But then the ongoing 40% support for Rob has convinced me that I just don't understand people.

As shamed as it should be, the Ford name is a brand that can probably be elected in north Etobicoke municipal and provincial elections for decades. Our governments are full of people trading on their family name and connections. However, Rob's bumbling cartoon quality is what took the edge off his anger and cemented the affection for him among his Nation. Doug has none of that. He just seems mean and calculating. Hard to see where he had any more potential than to be a minor minister in an underwhelming Tory government. But then the ongoing 40% support for Rob has convinced me that I just don't understand people.

I have a secret, I lie to pollsters. All the time.

"If Rob goes away on a little vacation, a week or two weeks, comes back, loses 50 to 60 pounds, stays straight, he can win in 2014."

Doug said this on the radio today.

Um, how can you lose 50-60 pounds in a week or two???

What is their fixation with trying to change the channel to his weight? Remember also the meat scale "Cut the Waist" era. Is it because the media manages to take unflattering pictures? Why is their only concern still whether he can win 2014?!! Any decent family would day, you don't need to win anything to be loved by us. Think about the pressure of this message from Doug!

Certainly he lives an unhealthy lifestyle in every respect, but in terms of therapeutic interventions, losing weight would be a long term goal attached to numerous short term goals (including gainng insight into his behaviours).

Denial isn't only an emotional state that we can empathize with; it really comes out of willfull factual ignorance for which there is no excuse.

You are, of course, right but the Conservatives seem to be oblivious to their increasing departure from reality and electability. One more loose cannon might not sink their sinking ship any faster.

Regulars Cons, yes - Hudak Cons? He can't even make up his own mind.

AoD

They are talking about his weight and drinking because that is preferable to drug addiction, obstruction, extortion, murder, psychopathic outbursts, evidence tampering, pathological lying and everything else attached to him at this point.

I'm just thinking that even if he somehow managed to disassociate himself from the whole Rob story (impossible, I know, but), there's still lots of ammo for an opponent: his constant, baseless smears and attacks on other public figures, his attempts at skeezy closed-door deals... it could be a very long list.

They are talking about his weight and drinking because that is preferable to drug addiction, obstruction, extortion, murder, psychopathic outbursts, evidence tampering, pathological lying and everything else attached to him at this point.

Totally. Weight and drinking fall safely under "only human."

Must be really helping Rob that his family has basically responded to devastating news of his substance abuse with "You're too fat!" I think this is particularly hilarious/sad considering Ford Nation's knee-jerk sensitivity to references to Ford's weight...his family basically says it all the time!

I'm just thinking that even if he somehow managed to disassociate himself from the whole Rob story (impossible, I know, but), there's still lots of ammo for an opponent: his constant, baseless smears and attacks on other public figures, his attempts at skeezy closed-door deals... it could be a very long list.

Yes, but people will still vote for him!

It can't be said enough that for some people, none of this stuff matters so long as Doug/Rob/whoever is sticking up for the little guy, jamming a righteous finger in the eye of the latte-sippers and fighting the the evil of taxes.

Simple solutions to complex problems is what Ford supporters want. Is there any difference between "we can balance the budget without cutting services by finding efficiencies in City Hall offices", "we can build a network of subways using private money", and "we can correct our giant-sized substance abuse problems by restricting our drinking to the basement"? The obstinate, unbalanced lone-wolf on display now is exactly who people voted for.

The City has just sent out a press release announcing that "The City of Toronto will host an event on Tuesday to proclaim November 12, 2013 to November 12, 2014 the Year of Truth and Reconciliation in Toronto"

OK it goes on to explain that it is "to acknowledge Aboriginal peoples affected by the Residential School System. " Will Rob be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back