855     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 762     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 574     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, but how long exactly has the mayor been driving drunk? In the last year there have been a number of near-incidents on Toronto roads, including one with Matt Galloway. If he feels he has immunity, what next?

They know very well that the police won't release the video as it's before the courts. They're simply giving Ford nation an opportunity to say 'if the video is so damning why would they want anyone to see it?' In the meantime douggie, robbie and the lawyer will start planting the seeds of 'it's fake, it isn't crack, it is someone who looks like rob, etc....' It's desparate and brutally stupid but that's their tack.

Ford has been an embarrassment and is not fit for office.

That being said, many of the comments last night on the Agenda hit close to home about the human impact of all of this. In the end the guy clearly has issues and is in trouble emotional and physically. While I disagree with his politics, I genuinely feel bad for him.

Beyond that, I do agree with the commentary that Ford has been bullied by the media more than your typical politician. Not to say he didn't bring a lot of him upon himself with his lack of openness/accountability, limited press conferences, confrontational nature and pathological lyeing (though let's be honest that all politicians lie). E.g. When he fell over hiking that football last year, that had nothing to do with anything detrimental with respect to the city, and yet he was still destroyed over it.

I hope people don't forget that he is a human being and has a family.

Well, considering the callousness in speech and in action, by the way of policies supported and enacted, I don't think Rob Ford is in the position to be at the receiving end of sympathy - he, afterall, isn't the only human being with a family around. In fact, he has even less excuse to be behaving the way he is, considering that he don't even have economic deprivation as an argument/excuse for his actions.

AoD

I keep rolling this over and over - What is Ford's lawyer's strategy here? Is he hoping seeing the actual video will be less damaging than just imagining what might be on it?

Ford's shyster knows full well that Blair cannot release the video to the public, for all the various reasons that Blair himself detailed in his press conference. Only the courts can do that. Said shyster does NOT want the video revealed, but for the time being desperately wants somehow to change the channel to the whole 'police/elites are being unfair to poor Robbie' narrative.

James D:

At this point why do we even care about converting that 25% of the population? I am more interested in chasing them away from the city and get them to live in Vaughan instead.

AoD

But I'm expecting Ford's approval rating to take a massive hit once we see our next "proper" poll.

Which was conducted by Forum, last night. They called me. Normally I hang up on pollsters, but I had a feeling last night’s poll would be about Ford, and it was, and I wanted in! It started out with “do you approve of Rob Ford’s performance as Mayor†and “do you think he should resign†and “are you aware of the allegations†and “do you think the video will ever be released to the public†and that sort of thing, then went into a mind-numbing variety of different Mayoral election scenarios, asking me who I’d vote for in each case (I chose Stintz in each scenario). It ended with the standard questions about gender and age and income and residence.

I’m curious to see the results.

Ford's shyster knows full well that Blair cannot release the video to the public, for all the various reasons that Blair himself detailed in his press conference. Only the courts can do that. Said shyster does NOT want the video revealed, but for the time being desperately wants somehow to change the channel to the whole 'police/elites are being unfair to poor Robbie' narrative.

If I was Rob, I'd hire a new lawyer. Just saying.

I keep rolling this over and over - What is Ford's lawyer's strategy here? Is he hoping seeing the actual video will be less damaging than just imagining what might be on it?

It's about spinning it in their favour.

If there's no video, it's all about "He's seen allegedly smoking crack..." - you can't defend or spin something that no one has seen, nor do you really want to admit it's real in the event that it's possible to say that it's not the mayor.

Once the video is out there, you can either question its authenticity, or spin the contents in your favour. As I mentioned above, this could either be "it was all a joke, I get like that when I'm drunk and who doesn't get drunk from time to time, we all let loose once in a while" or "yeah, I was smoking a pipe but so what, it was just tobacco! which of course you can't tell because the video is so grainy. who doesn't smoke a cigarette every now and then to relax? at one point I had quit but with all these MAGGOTS terrorizing my family I need to calm down sometimes, and a cigarette helps"

It's the typical Ford MO - deny it until you can't possibly deny it any more because irrefutable proof comes out - and once it does, deny it and spin it in your favour, and change the narrative. You can't control the narrative if the video hasn't been seen.

James D:

At this point why do we even care about converting that 25% of the population? I am more interested in chasing them away from the city and get them to live in Vaughan instead.

AoD

This will sound callous but how many of that 25 percent will even be alive next election? He polls exceptionally high with the elderly. But yes, I agree it is an exercise in futility trying to convert them. They are exactly like the 911 truthers, the Obama is a Muslim, etc...Robbie is their man because he pisses off the lefties and that's good enough for them. Small-minded, petty spiteful people.

Which was conducted by Forum, last night. They called me. Normally I hang up on pollsters, but I had a feeling last night’s poll would be about Ford, and it was, and I wanted in! It started out with “do you approve of Rob Ford’s performance as Mayor” and “do you think he should resign” and “are you aware of the allegations” and “do you think the video will ever be released to the public” and that sort of thing, then went into a mind-numbing variety of different Mayoral election scenarios, asking me who I’d vote for in each case (I chose Stintz in each scenario). It ended with the standard questions about gender and age and income and residence.

I’m curious to see the results.

It's extra interesting because they did a similar poll *two* nights ago (though there was a screwup on the "religion" question where the "9" option seemed to be broken and hung up on me after 3 tries). Would love to see how much of a dive his popularity took in 24 hours, if they release both sets of data.

Breaking

I'm told that The Toronto Star is going to sue Rob and Doug Ford in a massive defamation suit now that the facts have come out. The Fords may lose everything they have.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...or-once-eager-federal-conservatives-1.2307414

While most Conservatives stayed mum on the subject of Ford, one Conservative MP from Brampton-Springdale told reporters in Ottawa that he supported the Toronto mayor.

Rob Ford is a great mayor, I support him," Parm Gill told reporters after question period on Thursday. "I think he's doing a wonderful job. I know people in Toronto are very happy with the way he's running the city. I look forward to working with him.

What, does this guy owe Ford money? Did he lose a bet? What would possess someone to tie themselves to a sinking ship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back