533     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 633     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like having my cops paid well. It's a tough job that warrants good pay and good benefits and discourages corruption. (See New Orleans as an example of when cops are poorly paid.)

I'd rather tackle the police culture and the police assocation and increase the hiring standards to help weed out the thugs. I'd like to examine police deployment and practices (such as carding). I'd try to curtail costly construction site duty, look at introducing traffic wardens to take over some basic traffic and crowd control duties, re-deploy parking enforcement officers to do other related tasks (perhaps warn and fine landowners who don't keep their sidewalks clear of ice and snow.) I'd like to shake up traffic enforcement too instead of a reliance on radar fishing holes and predictable blitzes.

Ford won't do any of that!

Last edited:
For me, the worst financial impact of Ford on the city will be the massive increase in wage costs at the TPS. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-vote-for-11-per-cent-pay-hike/article580989/

By the time the 11% increase of the latest contract is fully in place in 2015, the average cost before benefits of a 1st class TPS officer will be over $75K annually. At this rate of increase, by 2020, the average TPS officer will be making more than double the average Canadian full-time wage.

In NYC, the average police officer costs $43,000 before benefits. Imagine how many more police Toronto could hire if we paid like NY's finest. Or, how much we could save if paid the same force size the NYC cost.

If Rob Ford was truly a fiscal conservative, he would have led a roll back, not increase in TPS costs.

Blair had a major play in those deals. Budget is right around the corner again and last year the board shut down spending for the TPS.

The deals also have a lot to do with OPP. The Pay at the OPP level drives up the cost in the municipalities “I must say that decisions made at the provincial level are largely responsible for [the Toronto police]deal,” board chair Alok Mukherjee wrote in an open letter to Mr. McGuinty. “The province has repeatedly taken steps to set a pattern of steadily increasing costs in policing.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...cent-pay-hike-for-opp-in-2014/article1360155/

Ativan does that - slow, slurred speech - or some other "downer" (his blood pressure must be through the roof !) Maybe he's seen the "doctor".

a guy of his size would have to take 8-10 Ativan's to cause an effect that obvious. we're talking Percocet or Oxycontin. in the case of Oxy, there is a ready supply in his own home, so he doesn't need to buy street drugs in this case. he can just dip into his wife's cache....

Last edited:
Hopefully the police documents give a description of the crack video - it would be impossible for Ford to refuse to comment at that point.

It could still be a while before we find anything out unfortunately:

From the article:
When lawyers get the document on Monday, they will be able to give their clients a “brief summary” of what it says – which cannot be published – in order to get instructions on how to argue about its release.

I'm so used to waiting at this point I can deal with a few weeks' more.

I'm so used to waiting at this point I can deal with a few weeks' more.

word

Re: getting upset about that tweet. Could it be that they get away with this shit because we don't get upset enough? If people are doing things that we perceive to be unethical, illegal or contrary to the purpose of democracy then we should say something and we should say it often and loudly.

It could still be a while before we find anything out unfortunately:

From the article:
When lawyers get the document on Monday, they will be able to give their clients a “brief summary†of what it says – which cannot be published – in order to get instructions on how to argue about its release.

I'm going to play armchair speculator here and say that as of Monday the TPS probably don't want to risk any of that information leaking out and compromising the rest of the investigation... so I'm thinking that we might see some significant developments happen before then.

I am without inside sources. Only using common sense.

I'm going to play armchair speculator here and say that as of Monday the TPS probably don't want to risk any of that information leaking out and compromising the rest of the investigation... so I'm thinking that we might see some significant developments happen before then.

I am without inside sources. Only using common sense.

Yes that's a really good point... I don't want to get my hopes up though. :)

Also registered:

$ whois fordmoreyears.ca
Domain name: fordmoreyears.ca
Domain status: registered
Creation date: 2013/10/11
Expiry date: 2014/10/11
Updated date: 2013/10/16

Registrar:
Name: Webnames.ca Inc.
Number: 70

Name servers:
ns1.webnames.ca 65.39.140.82
ns2.webnames.ca 64.85.60.137
ns3.webnames.ca 64.34.130.218

% WHOIS look-up made at 2013-10-25 18:28:40 (GMT)
%
% Use of CIRA's WHOIS service is governed by the Terms of Use in its Legal
% Notice, available at http://www.cira.ca/legal-notice/?lang=en
%
% (c) 2013 Canadian Internet Registration Authority, (http://www.cira.ca/)

vic:

It must be in the year of our Ford. Perhaps we should petition council to change our calendar system to BF and AF?

How wonderfully pneumatic.

AoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back