News   Jul 18, 2024
 585     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 902     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
rob-ford3.jpg

Wat, wat, what? Some city employee has been sleep, sleeping on the job? Fire them!
Now, don't bother me. I have a headache.

js97:

How is that different from subways on Finch (which doesn't even have trip generators like York U to sort of justify the Spadina extension).

AoD

I don't think I support a finch subway - so not sure what that is. I think up to York university makes sense.

Thank you for posting this. It was the first thing I thought of when I heard about RoFo's response. It shouldn't surprise me that the irony escapes him, but that doesn't make it any less infuriating.

I don't think I support a finch subway - so not sure what that is. I think up to York university makes sense.

Let me connect the dots for you - his worship is quoted as saying that said subway line should be the priority of the city. How is this any different from your criticisms of the Spadina subway extension sic political opportunism?

AoD

By the time a southbound YUS subway train gets to Eglinton during crush hour, it's already packed. The Crosstown is going to make that situation much, much worse. Without removing some of the load further down the line, people transferring from the BD line could be waiting 5 or more cars just to get on. A DRL (Don Mills/Eglinton plan) would take a lot of the load off the Crosstown and YUS from commuters intending to get to the core. All the people in the new development in Leaside could take a short trip *East* to a subway they wouldn't need to transfer from in order to get downtown. The Crosstown would be in a better position to serve its intended purpose as a northern east-west corridor, rather than just another feeder for the YUS.

There are two factors to consider.

Do enough people coming south on Yonge get off at Bloor to open up space for people coming west on the B-D to get on. This relies on a whole bunch of people getting off Yonge at Bloor, and then a whole bunch of people getting onto Yonge from Bloor. This will have a much worse dwell time at the Y-B station and thus the capacity of Yonge will drop.

OR

Does balancing out the transfers at 2 stations (instead of all transfers at one station) allow for shorter dwell time at Y-B, which will allow more trains through and increase capacity on the Yonge line.

Roughly 25 to 30 trains per hour use Yonge. This is about a 130 second frequency. For every 5 seconds that the critical station dwell time can be reduced, one extra train can fit on the Yonge line (5 seconds x 27.5 trains = 137 seconds). Each train is an extra 1000 passengers - probably more with the new trains.

Looking at the DRTES (Exhibit 4-3) in 2031, with the Yonge extension (and Eglinton in-median LRT), there will be 34,000 passengers coming south approaching Bloor. South of Bloor, there will be 39,200 passengers. Thus, the capacity of the line will be 39,200. If you can get half of the 9,200 WB to SB passengers (say 4,000) to transfer at Eglinton instead of Y-B, then there will be 38,000 passengers coming south approaching Bloor and the 39,200 south of Bloor. But because there are 4,000 fewer passengers transfering on at Y-B, the dwell can be reduced by 5 or 10 seconds and the capacity of the line would go up by 2 or 3 thousand to 41,500. I do not have all the numbers available to me (the Y-E station needs to be designed for the required number of transfers - but since it is a centre platform it should be easy enough to add side platforms and have a Spanish 3 platform solution), but it looks like the convenient Eglinton line would have the Yonge subway at 92% capacity (38,000 / 41,500) just north of Bloor and 94% capacity (39,200 / 41,500)just south of Bloor. The inconvenient median LRT on Eglinton would have the Yonge subway at 87% capacity (34,000 / 39,000) just north of Bloor and 100% capacity (39,000 / 39,000) just south of Bloor.

Which one is better - the one at capacity for 1 km south of Bloor, or the one that is close to capacity for maybe 5 km.

In the above, some passengers may continue on Eglinton to Spadina and transfer there. Thus, if Yonge starts getting close to capacity, there is a relief valve. With the less convenient in-median LRT, all passengers would be taking B-D and there is no such redundancy. Once the DRL gets built to Eglinton, this will no longer be as big a concern since Eglinton riders would transfer to the DRL instead of taking the Yonge line.

Last edited:
Which one is better - the one at capacity for 1 km south of Bloor, or the one that is close to capacity for maybe 5 km.

Either flow option is a clusterfuck. Near capacity becomes at capacity if there's any sort of hiccup, like buses running a little fast or shitty weather. Reducing ridership on the line down to 75% or so would be most ideal.

I do not have all the numbers available to me (the Y-E station needs to be designed for the required number of transfers - but since it is a centre platform it should be easy enough to add side platforms and have a Spanish 3 platform solution

Considering the station sits under already existing buildings, it might not be so easy or cheap to add additional platforms. They widened Y/B station for a potential Spanish Solution but did so taking advantage at the same time of the construction of the Xerox building @ 33 Bloor St. E; an advantage that Y-E isn't likely to have.

Of course he was in on the decision. They didn't put up a bust of his head without his wishes. It wasn't done by his fans. It was done by him.

In 50 years everyone will be saying Jack who? Beacuse unlike those other people he didn't actually accomplish anything other than leading an opposition party.

Bull. My dad explicitly said 'scatter my ashes, don't get me a headstone or niche that'll cost money.' My mom still got a niche, 'for the grandchildren (non-existent at the time) to visit.' Layton might have been in on the decision or not, but it's not an 'of course' at all. You have NO idea. And I'm someone who voted against him in every election for years.

Tim Hudak

Yikes!!!

Well, considering the province said they won't fund the city's 3-stop plan, only their own 2-stop plan, Scarborough gets a weak-ass 2-stop subway.

Ironically, the greater distance between stops than the SRT means more buses need to be on the road to get people to and from that subway. Scarborites already seem to have issues with buses, they'll be riding them longer and farther in order to save on transferring from one train to another.

The prov's plan has 2 stops, however, it's possible to extend to Progress and Sheppard pos​sibly, depending on the EAs. Malvern is the destination that needs to be considered, not Sheppard and McCowan, a "loop" would be a waste of money, and serve nothing but the Fords' egos.

As TheTigerMaster has put forward in another thread, a Malvern BRT. It would suffice to cover the area in at least one scenario.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...-(including-fantasy-maps)?p=772218#post772218

Last edited:
http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...to_court_supporting_good_guy_pal_in_june.html

Mayor Rob Ford wrote a letter of support for his friend, alleged drug dealer Alexander ‘Sandro’ Lisi, that was considered during the sentencing hearing that followed Lisi’s conviction for threatening to kill an Etobicoke woman.
The letter was made an exhibit in Lisi’s case on June 14 and is briefly referenced in a transcript of the hearing obtained by the Star.
Recently, when Lisi’s name made news as an accused drug trafficker with a record of criminal convictions for threats, harassment and drug possession, Ford expressed surprise that his longtime friend was facing serious accusations. He said Lisi, 35, was a “good guy,†and “I don’t throw my friends under the bus.â

Well, he had to stop Lisi from going to the slammer, he needed him to find a video. Anything else?

OOOOH, I like the speculation game. Or Lisi blackmailed him: write this letter and make sure I don't spend time in jail or I'll tell them what I was doing for you in late May (or every other week since Lisi's neighbour has claimed that Ford would visit Lisi a couple times a week for short periods of time, i.e. he would wait in his car as Lisi would bring him "something"). I'm sure Lisi has a crapload on Ford, they have to both keep their mouths shut and support each other or mutually assured destruction.

if the ONLY thing Rob Ford ever did was associate with this lunatic, it would be enough to consider him a word-class creep.

Agreed. Why such light sentences for fairly violent crimes? Seems like all the Ford "associates" benefit from either great legal help or/and letters from Ford. He also wrote a letter supporting one of his sister's partners. Wonder if he has a boiler plate for that letter, just fill in the blank kinda thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back