866     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 774     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 577     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's the low resolution, but that's a pretty decent attempt as far as McMansions go.

Well, it's got "verve". Kinda campy in a Trump's-hair way. But CowboyLogic's like the totally-irony-free sort who'd knock us for "undemocratically" ridiculing him because we don't, uh, share his architectural/aesthetic values.

So, when it comes to the architectural-values metaphor, we have two kinds of happy Ford campers: the unironically kitschophilic "high Fordistas" a la CowboyLogic, and the altogether EIFS-philistine-destructive "low Fordistas" a la HaveLove.

Oh, anyone notice that malvern2's shills are getting rather anemic lately?

I find that most people who identify with a particular ideology have very little idea what that ideology entails. Conservatives being pro-free trade is one that really gets to me. As a political science major it can be infuriating (especially when so many people in the department identify ideologies falsely).

eta: the term "fiscal conservative" also drives me batty. Fiscal conservative means that you want your tax dollars spent well without a lot of waste, EVERYONE wants that.

That reminds me of when someone mentioned that they wanted a mayor who was fiscally conservative, but was willing to raise taxes to make necessary investments in our future. I had to chuckle and say, "so what you want is a liberal" ;)

On a serious note, the term "fiscally conservative" has been totally hijacked. It's now come to mean anybody who is unwilling to raise taxes or spend money, even when it is a necessary investment for the future. That's not fiscal conservatism. It's idiotic.

Ray Heard ‏@RayHeard - I am pretty sure now there will be MAJOR development in Rob Ford crack fiasco tomorrow. I have sources within. So do Star, Globe

Are the Fords skedded to do their show tomorrow, or are they on long-weekend vacation?

Incidentally, I find something in Ford's self-description as "f*cking right-wing"--barnyard epithets as a verbal crutch by the truly stunted. He'd be incompetent even as a message-board troll...

I agree with what you are saying....But Ford has had supernatural luck it seems, in terms of sliding through his escapades, and not being called to order. It feels like he also has people looking out for him, and pulling strings, so that his 'transgressions' get overlooked.

I think he's progressed right up to the limit where people will tolerate bad behaviour by individuals in power. I think where that limit is has been pushed up over the years due to cultural polarization, a decline in the importance of shame and similarly an anti-social individualism that celebrates public figures who take as much as they can get and then some.

Last edited:
Are the Fords skedded to do their show tomorrow, or are they on long-weekend vacation?

Incidentally, I find something in Ford's self-description as "f*cking right-wing"--barnyard epithets as a verbal crutch by the truly stunted. He'd be incompetent even as a message-board troll...

Usually they take long weekends off, but they decided to make an exception so they could celebrate their Subways Subways Subways win.

That reminds me of when someone mentioned that they wanted a mayor who was fiscally conservative, but was willing to raise taxes to make necessary investments in our future. I had to chuckle and say, "so what you want is a liberal" ;)

On a serious note, the term "fiscally conservative" has been totally hijacked. It's now come to mean anybody who is unwilling to raise taxes or spend money, even when it is a necessary investment for the future. That's not fiscal conservatism. It's idiotic.

Right, that's why these labels are so treacherous. It's whatever people choose to call themselves. Just witness how the word "liberal" has transformed over hundreds of years - it has a historicity. Almost everything that "conservatives" believe now were values that were explicitly liberal at some point. Anything with a historicity similarly has relative geographic, classist, gendered, and individual meanings, along with any other category you can think of. What makes people share words is more a matter of the sympathy that they have towards those words and their symbols. But that can only be stretched so far, as in the case of this Tea Party/Republican implosion in the U.S.

If you want to be quick and cutting, they're useful labels, and they're indispensable when you're discussing political parties, factions, and blocs. But if you really want to get into the issues they have to be abandoned. Unfortunately that takes an enormous amount of time and consideration.

CowboyLogic has repeatedly demonstrated that he is a disingenuous hack, no purpose can be served by addressing him directly as he has shown he is nearly incapable of arguing in good faith. Anyone who follows this thread with any regularity, who keeps up with what is reported from the various media outlets, and still would throw their support behind Ford (A man whose proffesional and personal associations in and outside the criminal world show that his interests do not align with those of the average working class stiff he claims to represent) qualifies as a selfish, gullible asshole whose opinions and worldview should be viewed with suspicion and contempt.

You hit the nail on the head.

A la Ray Heard and his twitter quotes of something happening really soon re: police and RoFo:
Would the cops bust into Do&RoFo's radio show?

Probably not -- my theory is they're doing it on thanksgiving sunday, because they know a lot of these guys will be home having dinner with their families.

All the people saying that graffiti isn't a serious issue, I'm just going to assume that you live in the suburbs and/or don't own your own property. It definitely is a big issue for home and business owners. I'm not sure I like Ford's and the city's approach, which puts the burden of clean-up on the owners themselves, but he's right that it is a problem.

As for the idea that it doesn't effect the city's image, it does. Luckily it isn't too prevalent here, but it can and will make a city look like complete shit (i.e. Lisboa).

The girl in the video I posted asked about attracting business downtown, especially from the suburbs.

Do you seriously think RBC won't move more offices downtown because there's too much graffiti? It's not only untrue (along with the empty storefronts and broken glass), it's irrelevant.

Well, plastic bags are the issue we're discussing, so the "many" are all irrelevant. And on this issue, there was no support for the ban, as the councilors didn't even do the proper consultation. They had to back down to avoid opening themselves up to a lawsuit, so essentially the ban was a complete waste of time and Ford succeeded in getting rid of the tax. I'm not sure why anyone would defend them on this count.

The issue we're discussing is why council routinely votes against him. It isn't because they're evil or uncooperative, it's because they're fulfilling the wishes of their constituents.

If Ford wants Council's support, he'll have to establish credibility; that involves building trust and presenting sensible plans.

My TPS sources are suspiciously quiet today. None of them have answered my messages which is uncharacteristic. Usually if they can't say something, they just say so. I'm getting the feeling that something is about to go down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back