477     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 752     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you explain to us why Asians, specially in Scarborough and North York allegedly have such universal hate for Chow? This is the first time I've heard anything like this.

I'm also curious to know the source of this - is it anecdotal or based on polling data or analysis of Chinese-language media or...?

I could see Chow having troubles with those from India and the Middle East, because a proportion of them tend to have negative perceptions of female potential. I'm not sure where China and other Far East cultures stand on feminism though, so I can't say if her gender will put her at a disadvantage.

Her real weapon will be communication though. Lots of immigrants who have limited English comprehension ate up the one liners of "gravy train," "subways," etc. Chow will be able to explain to many of these people, in their native tongue, why Ford was full of crap.

EDIT: Also her husband was Caucasian, that may potentially hurt her as well I suppose.

Last edited:
Chow doesn't have much support outside downtown core.

Also Chinese people in the suburbs won't vote her for various reasons

Most Chinese/Indian immigrants tend to be economic immigrants, and will likely be more conservative and money-oriented, unfortunately. Their children might be more inclined to vote for social issues, but most of them are still in their younger years, and we know how that demographic votes. Hopefully some candidate can reach out to them to convince immigrants that Ford isn't and shouldn't be the only choice.

Last edited:
I'm also curious to know the source of this - is it anecdotal or based on polling data or analysis of Chinese-language media or...?

It must be anecdotal. I've been looking online and I cant find any examples of this alleged widespread hatred. Also asked a few Asian friends of mine about this who responded to my question like I'd lost my mind. I'm also curious about why Asians in North York and Scarb would hate her, but not those downtown, in Etobicoke, York or East York. But I think we are really over analyzing bizarre comments made by a new UT member.

Most Chinese/Indian immigrants tend to be economic immigrants, and will likely be more conservative and money-oriented, unfortunately. Their children might be more inclined to vote for social issues, but most of them are still in their younger years, and we know how that demographic votes. Hopefully some candidate can reach out to them to convince immigrants that Ford isn't and shouldn't be the only choice.

Well how did Miller convince them? He won all wards but two.

Rob Ford gave Toronto much international recognition.

He made Toronto the laughingstock of the world.

People in Toronto sometimes need a reality check into what the "outside world" thinks about them

The city is barely a blip on the radar map

I could see Chow having troubles with those from India and the Middle East, because a proportion of them tend to have negative perceptions of female potential. I'm not sure where China and other Far East cultures stand on feminism though, so I can't say if her gender will put her at a disadvantage.

Then again, Indo-Asia does have a reasonably strong/high-profile record of female leadership (Indira Gandhi, Benazir Bhutto, and Sri Lanka elected the first female prime minister back in 1960). And don't forget that Scarborough-Rouge River did the unthinkable in 2011 and elected a female NDPer, Rathika Sitsabaiesan, largely on the back of Tamil support--meanwhile, the other heavily Asian north-Scarborough riding, Scarborough-Agincourt, is represented by a woman provincially (Soo Wong). Indeed, the only Scarborough riding not represented by a female either provincially and federally is Scarborough Southwest--and that's the one most geographically proximate to the former City of Toronto, as well as the one with the longest/strongest history of NDP support (Stephen Lewis once held it provincially).

So, it's silly to think that Chow would have absolutely no traction within those jurisdictions--sure, she might not *win* them all; but neither did Miller in 2003, he just did well enough and earned enough respect to put him over the top city-wide. (And once again, as I've said: a certain pro-Ford poster from that neck of the woods has himself offered that Chow'd have more mileage "out there" than Stintz, even if Stintz *seems* more ideologically aligned w/Ford.)

OTOH re MetroMan's math: it's illogical to think that *all* of Ford's 2010 downtown voters will slide on over to Chow; it's a reasonable bet that Ford will still hang on to *some* kind of inner-city base, even if it's half or less of 2010...

I occasionally have coffee with a fellow I've come to know on my dog walking route & he voted for Ford and will again, he is completely blinded by his rhetoric. On a positive note, he sure has moved off Harper & the Conservatives in the past half year or so.

How do you move off Harper and not Ford!?

We don't talk politics a whole lot because we don't see eye to eye on some issues, but he's a nice guy to chat with on other matters. He thinks Rob Ford is a "good guy", so I think it's the Rob Ford "average Joe" image that he manufactures which my friend likes. So that gets Ford a vote.

People in Toronto sometimes need a reality check into what the "outside world" thinks about them

The city is barely a blip on the radar map

Oh please. The city may not stand toe to toe with other so called "world class" cities, but considering its one of the top 5 destinations for immigration in the world, Toronto is well known and well regarded world wide.

Oh please. The city may not stand toe to toe with other so called "world class" cities, but considering its one of the top 5 destinations for immigration in the world, Toronto is well known and well regarded world wide.

I find that Torontonians have a tendency to underestimate the city in just about everything. When I've traveled internationally many Torontonians are surprised when people actually know about the city. I think it's because of the small sleeper town mentality that is plaguing the city. People in this city have trouble coming terms with the fact that Toronto will be the third largest on the continent in a relitavely short time, only dwarfed by Mexico and New York.

We don't talk politics a whole lot because we don't see eye to eye on some issues, but he's a nice guy to chat with on other matters. He thinks Rob Ford is a "good guy", so I think it's the Rob Ford "average Joe" image that he manufactures which my friend likes. So that gets Ford a vote.

Remember the interviews with Ford Nation at Fordfest? Everyone they interviewed liked him for his personality first and foremost.

Rob sure knows how to influence city council to be on his side. From the Toronto Sun, at this link:

'Lefties' will hijack council appointment: Ford

Mayor Rob Ford expects “the lefties” on council will hijack the appointment of a new councillor.

Ford made the prediction during his Sunday afternoon radio show as he looked ahead to this week’s meeting of the Etobicoke York community council to select a preferred candidate to fill the Etobicoke Centre (Ward 3) vacancy.

The council seat was vacated when Tory MPP Doug Holyday was elected to Queen’s Park in an August byelection held in Etobicoke-Lakeshore.

While the community council makes a recommendation on who should be appointed, city council will still have the final say on the appointment during a special meeting on Oct. 10.

“Something tells me that city council will not agree with what community council recommends,” Ford said Sunday. “I’ve got this gut feeling they’re not going to.”

The mayor — who can be a sitting member of any council committee — revealed he will be taking part in Tuesday’s community council meeting where councillors are expected to hear from 45 candidates interested in the council seat.

“Why do we even waste our time going to Etobicoke York community council when you know the lefties downtown are just going to laugh at us?” Ford asked. “Let’s just go directly to council with this? Save taxpayers’ money, save staff’s time.”

Councillor Doug Ford, meanwhile, blasted the fact council opted for an appointment rather than a byelection to fill the seat.

“Forty-five people want a freebie,” Councillor Ford said.

How can he get the councillors to vote with him if he keeps insulting them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back