1.1K     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 1K     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can imagine a new Rob Ford campaign commercial based on this little film:

[video=youtube_share;wlvYGqi3Dbc]http://youtu.be/wlvYGqi3Dbc[/video]

Substitute Ford for "Stalin", city for "nation", and you'll get the same reaction from Ford Nation.

Oh and from Twitter:

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 1m

PC candidate Doug Holyday says he will get the Bloor-Danforth line extension to Sherway Gardens added to list of priority projects #TOpoli
___

Isn't THAT nice?

AoD
Coming soon: someone promoting a Sheppard extension to VP/Warden/Kennedy/McCowan (take your pick)!

Substitute Ford for "Stalin", city for "nation", and you'll get the same reaction from Ford Nation.
...except that Ford compares his opponents with Stalin.

If you think that is crazy, you obviously haven't been watching some of the propaganda videos from our North Korean friends.

Toronto is a car centric city. Stroll any residential side street--from the Annex to the Junction from Forest Hill to Leaside--and you'll agree. Transit is meant for the "poor" or those too cheap to pay for parking in the core.

Take the Dufferin bus, get on at Keele Stn frequently and you'll understand what I mean. You feel "second class."

Really that explains the popularity of LRT & bus transit in this city--both are meant to cater to lazy people who don't like walking far. (What I mean: subway stations are further apart making it more inconvenient. To be honest, in 2013, in Toronto, transit by bus is the better way. Maybe we ought to embrace it? Eg: I love the Bloor Blue Night bus--I am mere seconds from the stop vs the subway which is 10 minutes' walk on a bitterly cold winter's day. To go OT: a heated winter jacket and boots would solve this problem in a hurry:)) We also have to consider the impact of coming technology: driverless vehicles. Imagine driverless buses!

What would really benefit the average Torontonian more: increase the frequency of bus and streetcar routes.

Interesting to note the rising obesity rates in general vs the 1950s. Even today's downtown bike popularity is easily explained: lazy ppl would rather sit on a bike than walk to work! Even though walking is the best form of exercise. Also, I've noticed many bike riders use their bikes like cars--status symbols to show off their "bling" vs the other person.

The best way to raise money for subways is to make it more expensive to drive--but then the 1% win--they want it easier to get around quickly in their luxury cars.

A subway to Scarborough is needed: Not for the middle class condo dweller but for the working class renter who currently spends 3 hours each day communting to work. It may save them one hour a day--to do what exactly? :p

As mayor, I'd promise "A bus or streetcar every 5 minutes guaranteed ... or it's free"

Last edited:
Toronto is a car centric city. Stroll any residential side street--from the Annex to the Junction from Forest Hill to Leaside--and you'll agree. Transit is meant for the "poor" or those too cheap to pay for parking in the core.

Take the Dufferin bus, get on at Keele Stn frequently and you'll understand what I mean. You feel "second class."

Really that explains the popularity of LRT & bus transit in this city--both are meant to cater to lazy people who don't like walking far. (What I mean: subway stations are further apart making it more inconvenient. To be honest, in 2013, in Toronto, transit by bus is the better way. Maybe we ought to embrace it? Eg: I love the Bloor Blue Night bus--I am mere seconds from the stop vs the subway which is 10 minutes' walk on a bitterly cold winter's day.)

Interesting to note the rising obesity rates in general vs the 1950s.

The best way to raise money for subways is to make it more expensive to drive--but then the 1% win--they want it easier to get around quickly in their luxury cars.

Interesting points, don't know if you actually believe all that but... that's messed up.

"Transit for the poor", really? You'll have to try better than that.

Unless you happen to be lucky and live within 5-10 minutes' walk of the subway, yes, transit for the poor. Compare those walking home from any subway station vs those getting a connecting bus ride longer than 5-10 minutes and you'd agree with me I think.:)

I think driverless cars, trucks and transit vehicles are the way forward. Driverless cars for example, could suddenly make suburban living more appealing. Read http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/07/disruptions-how-driverless-cars-could-reshape-cities/?ico=home^editors_choice[to open your eyes to what could happen.

Last edited:
Unless you happen to be lucky and live within 5-10 minutes' walk of the subway, yes, transit for the poor. Compare those walking home from any subway station vs those getting a connecting bus ride longer than 5-10 minutes and you'd agree with me I think.:)

I think driverless cars, trucks and transit vehicles are the way forward. Driverless cars for example, could suddenly make suburban living more appealing. Read http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/07/disruptions-how-driverless-cars-could-reshape-cities/?ico=home^editors_choice[to open your eyes to what could happen.

Driverless cars are not as imminent as Google and much of the media thinks they are. Sure, you can get an AI engine to accomplish about 99% of what humans are capable of...but it's that other 1% that's the difference between life and death.

I'm not saying it will never happen. We humans can get pretty creative under the right circumstances. But AI researchers have been hitting this wall again and again. There's still no logical way to emulate human intuition and the conceptual thought that informs intuition. Neural networks are not the panacea that people like Kurzweil think they are.

You are starting to make me smile with the absurdity of your arguments, but please continue.

You do know that Blue Night service and subways don't run concurrently.

Oh yah, I only use transit to go distances I can't walk; that limit is usually 2 hours one way, or 8-10km.

Driverless cars are not as imminent as Google and much of the media thinks they are. Sure, you can get an AI engine to accomplish about 99% of what humans are capable of...but it's that other 1% that's the difference between life and death.

I'm not saying it will never happen. We humans can get pretty creative under the right circumstances. But AI researchers have been hitting this wall again and again. There's still no logical way to emulate human intuition and the conceptual thought that informs intuition. Neural networks are not the panacea that people like Kurzweil think they are.

Don't underestimate the power of software. Driverless cars have been road tested for hundreds of thousands of miles. As of today, there have been several accidents involving driverless cars. 100% of them were caused by human error. The software has yet to cause the car to crash. Looks like an exceptional track record to me.

Don't underestimate the power of software. Driverless cars have been road tested for hundreds of thousands of miles. As of today, there have been several accidents involving driverless cars. 100% of them were caused by human error. The software has yet to cause the car to crash. Looks like an exceptional track record to me.

Yep, take humans out of the equation of challenging things like driving and things go better.

Yep, take humans out of the equation of challenging things like driving and things go better.

Heres the second best way to improve road efficiency: eliminate drivers. Without them, cars will automatically coordinate the most efficient route to get where their going. They can also drive much closer together and faster, improving road efficiency as well. Couple this with transit ROWs throughout the city and we'll have incredibly transportation.

We have had the technology to do this for ages, but gov't and citizens are too infatuated with the "suburban dream" of a human driven car and a commute for everyone (I don't see the appeal) for it to become mainstream. Gov't should start giving out huge tax credits the moment driverless cars enter mass production. Hopefully in the next few 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back