893     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 799     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 584     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh please, stop the nonsense and figure out who could really beat this guy?..

Here is some undesirable news for many of you.....Rob Ford’s re-election chances soar in crowded mayoral race
Suddenly, the race to replace Toronto Mayor Rob Ford is becoming crowded — and that’s just how Ford wants it.

Indeed, Ford is dreaming of an election filled with challengers for his job, regardless of whether they are from the left or the right, from downtown or the suburbs.

That’s because Ford’s chances of winning re-election jump each time a serious contender indicates they might jump into the October 2014 mayoral contest.
More......http://www.thestar.com/opinion/comm...ces_soar_in_crowded_mayoral_race_hepburn.html

Exactly. I want John Tory gone. He can't win and he is jeopardizing our chances of getting rid of Ford. Ideally it should be Chow vs. Ford or Chow vs. Ford vs. Stintz.

The wiretaps won't be disclosed for this prosecution. I will simply note that the accused's lawyer managed, in record time for our justice system, to plea-bargain down from a first degree murder charge to manslaughter.

And i bet the crow offered the plea on behalf of the cops because it would protect ford who gave them 10% pay hike and get Blair another term. This is absolutely crazy. Nevermind others who need to wait forever to get their day in court or the parents of the man killed. This is unbelievable

Exactly. But I'm not convinced the courts and the cops are interested in defining the difference and applying the distinction.

If nothing else, Stintz' ticket will show that cyclists do get ticketed and the fine is the same as for drivers.

I'm always prepared to stop at a sign - I slow down for them as I would at any intersection and I anticipate yielding to pedestrians (they're often surprised by that). But I'm not going to come to a complete stop if there's no one else in any direction, and most drivers don't do that either.

What does all this bike nonesense and the catholic issue have to do with this thread?

And i bet the crow offered the plea on behalf of the cops because it would protect ford who gave them 10% pay hike and get Blair another term. This is absolutely crazy. Nevermind others who need to wait forever to get their day in court or the parents of the man killed. This is unbelievable

What's unbelievable is that it's all so completely believable and "normal". Our police force is corrupt; it seems that even those cops who aren't actively participating in criminal activities are covering up for those who are. It is only the rare exceptions (i.e. whistleblowers) who are newsworthy, and the resulting sentences (in the exceedingly rare event of a conviction) are laughable. I mean, the cops who are convicted are literally seen laughing as they walk out of court and prepare to appeal their non-custodial sentences.

The wheels fell off the "rule of law" bus a ways back. The "democracy" bus has long been subject to moneyed interests and mass stupidity. In what sense are we making "progress" as a species?

My god, what are you guys talking about? If the police were so corrupt, they wouldn't have handed the tape over to the Crown in the first place. And the notion that the Crown would not use the tape in its case, even if it were helpful, for the purpose of getting the police force a pay hike is absurd.

My god, what are you guys talking about? If the police were so corrupt, they wouldn't have handed the tape over to the Crown in the first place. And the notion that the Crown would not use the tape in its case, even if it were helpful, for the purpose of getting the police force a pay hike is absurd.

As if the crown is not on the cops side. Really

What does all this bike nonesense and the catholic issue have to do with this thread?

How a thread derailment is born:

A few days ago, somebody mentioned that John Tory was considering running for mayor. Someone brought up that when he was running for Premier, they didn't want to vote for him because he supported extending religious funding to all faiths, not just Catholicism. That later evolved into a discussion of whether or not Ontario should be funding religious schools. Then today that evolved into the weather or not teaching children about Santa and religion is child abuse.

And the bike/stop sign "nonsense" was born when Karen Stintz was fined for not stopping at the stop sign on her bike.

Don't worry, this is all just filler. The thread will hopefully be on track once some news comes out. It's been a slow news week. :rolleyes:

As if the crown is not on the cops side. Really

Yes, the two organizations have complimentary roles in the justice system but do you really think that the Crown would undermine its integrity just to circuitously and only potentially benefit the police force? Secondly, any other mayoral candidate is just as likely as Ford, if not more likely, to give in to the police's contract demands, so I doubt that these people would take on such a risk just to save his ass.

How a thread derailment is born:

A few days ago, somebody mentioned that John Tory was considering running for mayor. Someone brought up that when he was running for Premier, they didn't want to vote for him because he supported extending religious funding to all faiths, not just Catholicism. That later evolved into a discussion of whether or not Ontario should be funding religious schools. Then today that evolved into the weather or not teaching children about Santa and religion is child abuse.

And the bike/stop sign "nonsense" was born when Karen Stintz was fined for not stopping at the stop sign on her bike.

Don't worry, this is all just filler. The thread will hopefully be on track once some news comes out. It's been a slow news week. :rolleyes:

LOL, you're bang on ;)

Toronto Star: School board says Doug Ford’s Wynne football claim is ‘fabrication’

Ontario’s premier says she had nothing to do with the Catholic school board’s decision to ban Mayor Rob Ford from coaching football — and so does the board, which calls Councillor Doug Ford’s claim to the contrary an “absolute fabrication.”

Doug Ford, the mayor’s brother, said during a Newstalk 1010 interview Thursday that Premier Kathleen Wynne personally “fired Rob as a football coach.”

“You just don’t take a shot at the mayor when he didn’t do anything wrong and fire a football coach. It’s very simple. I’ve heard it from numerous people in the education system,” he said.

“Let’s get real here. You don’t do that without going to the minister of education. The minister of education doesn’t do anything without talking to the Premier.”

The school board’s spokesman, John Yan, said Wynne had no involvement whatsoever. He denounced Doug Ford’s comments using strong language.

“Doug Ford’s allegations have no foundation in fact or reality. Doug Ford was in the meeting that was held in the mayor’s office between our director of education Bruce Rodrigues, the mayor, and (then-chief of staff) Mark Towhey, where we went over the reasons why Mr. Ford could be dismissed. He knows those reasons, and for him to say otherwise is an absolute fabrication,” Yan said.

“We’re in the business of education, not politics. To think that the largest publicly funded Catholic school board in the world, responsible for 92,000 students and a $1.1 billion budget, has to deal with the dismissal of a volunteer coach at the ministry level is — short of ludicrous.”

Yes, the two organizations have complimentary roles in the justice system but do you really think that the Crown would undermine its integrity just to circuitously and only potentially benefit the police force? Secondly, any other mayoral candidate is just as likely as Ford, if not more likely, to give in to the police's contract demands, so I doubt that these people would take on such a risk just to save his ass.

Your argument would be more convincing if not for the police's consistently favourable treatment of Ford, and for the Crown's consistently favourable treatment of the police.

People keep saying that Ford gave the police a raise. I was under the impression that the police got their raise through arbitration which had nothing to do with Ford.

On the other hand, Ford supported a hiring freeze on the police and denied many of their requests for budget increases. (I think...it's been a while since this stuff was in the news)

Sadly there is no pillar of integrity available to us as a standard against which to judge all of our governments, agencies or public office holders without weeping in despair. Without exception they all have exhibited feet of clay, some slimier than others.

Our Provincial government should fall on their swords immediately, unfortunately their successors may be only marginally more interested in serving you and me rather than themselves.

The City government is a disaster not likely to be saved by re-electing any of the incumbents who have learned while in office the art of serving themselves first. We have boards and agencies filled with people who have no expertise what so ever but are very good friends of whomever. They have no incentive to do whatever they are mandated to accomplish, why would they, the money is good and when a better prize appears they jump ship with a lovely severance.

I have lost interest in politics as a participant and contributor of funds. Most of the contributors to this thread are not the answer to the malaise, they are just pissed off because their guy or gal isn't screwing everything up instead of the current crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back