1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The city's funding is kind of irrelevant, honestly -- the real card the city has is pulling their in-kind support, ie. clean-up, security, use of property, etc.

Irrelevant now, though, as QuAIA has stated they will not march.

Ya, I couldn't believe it either. I have no respect left for Pride anymore.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com...ide-had-pride-it-wouldnt-need-torontos-money/

" This follows a rather impressive display of chutzpah last year; when Pride was told to either ban QuAIA or receive no city money, it banned QuAIA, took the city’s money, cashed the cheque and then let QuAIA back in. Ford has no interest in getting fooled again. Good. Because there’s an easy solution. Just stop funding the parade and be done with it."

So he did mention it - I guess it's the media who fails to stress the important points; Instead leading readers on with the headlines implying some sort of hidden agenda and homophobic attitude ... pretty deplorable on their part.

This now completely changes my opinion.

But, I do have one question for you ? There was a city organization who claimed that they were in their right (QuAIA that is) and shouldn't be banned ? I'm not quite sure what that was about but it's fairly important unless this was in regards to a different context; So what I mean is if the city finds them OK, then why are we asking pride to ban them ?

Secondly, did pride let them back in or did they just show up ? Two very different things.

If it was very much intentional on their part I say cut the funding off this year now, no matter what they do. For one year at least, there needs to be some sort of consequence.

Now the other side of me, purely financial, would regret doing this as it must bring is a huge pile of cash for the city.

Maybe that's Ford's attitude as well :)

The city's funding is kind of irrelevant, honestly -- the real card the city has is pulling their in-kind support, ie. clean-up, security, use of property, etc.

Irrelevant now, though, as QuAIA has stated they will not march.

At this point I think the city should cut everything off this year. No support at all. But behind the scenes make sure it still happens one way or another :) So I mean the message needs to be sent.

Unless they snuck into the parade last year without pride's support.

QAIA, on thier website essentially call for an end to "The Jewish State" of Israel.
If you want to see who the real enemies of Homosexuals (LGBT) are, it's not Israel.
Gay Middle East

I see they have now announced that they will not march in the pride parade.

Vindicated by a City of Toronto report, Queers Against Israeli Apartheid will hold its Pride Week activities outside of the parade, in a challenge to Mayor Rob Ford.

TORONTO — Following this week’s report from City of Toronto staff concluding that the term ‘Israeli apartheid’ does not violate the city’s anti-discrimination policy, Queers Against Israeli Apartheid is announcing new plans for Pride 2011 that will pose a challenge for Mayor Rob Ford.

“Last year’s struggle was around censorship and our right to march in our community’s Pride parade,” says QuAIA spokesperson Tim McCaskell. “With the City report settling that debate, now is the time for us to move beyond the parade to build our community’s response to Israeli apartheid.”

Instead of marching as a contingent in the parade this year, QuAIA will focus its Pride Week activities on hosting a community event to raise awareness of Israeli apartheid, and how LGBTQ communities can pressure the Israeli government to comply with international law through the campaign for boycotts, divestments and sanctions. QuAIA will also continue to contest Israel’s “pinkwashing” campaign, which attempts to use LGBTQ human rights to obscure Israeli violations of Palestinian human rights.

QuAIA’s new plans will pose a challenge for Mayor Rob Ford, who announced that he would cut more than $100,000 in city tourism funding for Pride Toronto if QuAIA continued to march.

“Rob Ford wants to use us as an excuse to cut Pride funding, even though he has always opposed funding the parade, long before we showed up,” says Elle Flanders of QuAIA. “By holding our Pride events outside of the parade, we are forcing him to make a choice: fund Pride or have your real homophobic, right-wing agenda exposed.”

Last edited:
At this point I think the city should cut everything off this year. No support at all. But behind the scenes make sure it still happens one way or another :) So I mean the message needs to be sent.

Unless they snuck into the parade last year without pride's support.

The sequence of events in 2010 as reported here seems to be oversimplified, or just plain wrong. As far as I know, the only thing council voted on last year was to hold back Pride funding IF it was found that any of the groups marching in the parade violated the city's anti-discrimination policy. Staff released a report this week indicating that the term 'Israeli Apartheid' does not violate the policy.

While council was discussing this, Pride opted to ban QuAIA on its own. They later reversed the ban after several long-time Pride supporters threatened to boycott the parade because they felt Pride wasn't respecting free speech.

I wouldn't trust them. I feel like they'll march no matter what.

The city should demand Pride to provide them written assurance QuIAI will not be participating or consequences will be dealt.

Mammoliti is demanding such a letter, but the Canadian Jewish Congress has said that they consider the matter settled and don't see the need for such a letter. QuAIA will surely be visible around town during Pride Week -- as is their right -- but I don't think there's any reason to doubt QuAIA's statement that they will not march in the parade.

No offense Filip, even the city has found that there is nothing hateful about QuAIA. My personal disagreement with some aspects of their message is one thing, the org. is hosted by members of the LGBT community. Just what does all the corporate ads and floats has anything to do with LGBT issues, on the other hand? Beyond that, as I have mentioned previously, I would dare you to submit Rob Ford's comments on minorities over the years to a similiar test of "hate speech". For him to claim that the organization is racist for merely allowing (not endorsing the message of said group) QuAIA to march when he himself has personally engaged in making comments that are arguably far worse in tone is disingenious at best, hypocrisy at worst. I don't see you critiquing him on that count, and why is that? As a gay man, I'd imagine you'd have a bit more to say on that score, no? Or is it that someone has already fought those wars for you that you've forgotten the political is what got you rights you enjoy in the first place?

And yes, I know some of the members of QuAIA in a non-personal capacity enough to know that they've been active in the fight for those rights as far back as the 70s and 80s. You? Besides, if you feel so strongly for gay rights in the Mideast vis-a-vis religious intolerance of such, feel free to march under that banner. It's your right.

AoD

Last edited:
The sequence of events in 2010 as reported here seems to be oversimplified, or just plain wrong. As far as I know, the only thing council voted on last year was to hold back Pride funding IF it was found that any of the groups marching in the parade violated the city's anti-discrimination policy. Staff released a report this week indicating that the term 'Israeli Apartheid' does not violate the policy.

While council was discussing this, Pride opted to ban QuAIA on its own. They later reversed the ban after several long-time Pride supporters threatened to boycott the parade because they felt Pride wasn't respecting free speech.

Goes to show you how anything can be twisted and contrived to portray just about whatever message you want.

Thanks for the details!

No offense Filip, even the city has found that there is nothing hateful about QuAIA. My personal disagreement with some aspects of their message is one thing, the org. is hosted by members of the LGBT community. Just what does all the corporate ads and floats has anything to do with LGBT issues, on the other hand? Beyond that, as I have mentioned previously, I would dare you to submit Rob Ford's comments on minorities over the years to a similiar test of "hate speech". For him to claim that the organization is racist for merely allowing (not endorsing the message of said group) QuAIA to march when he himself has personally engaged in making comments that are arguably far worse in tone is disingenious at best, hypocrisy at worst. I don't see you critiquing him on that count, and why is that? As a gay man, I'd imagine you'd have a bit more to say on that score, no? Or is it that someone has already fought those wars for you that you've forgotten the political is what got you rights you enjoy in the first place?

And yes, I know some of the members of QuAIA in a non-personal capacity enough to know that they've fought for those rights. You? Besides, if you feel so strongly for gay rights in the Mideast vis-a-vis religious intolerance of such, feel free to march under that banner. It's your right.

AoD
Luckily many members of Toronto's council including the mayor agree that its hate-mongering to march calling for the 'end of the Jewish state and Israeli apartheid'. Don't these queers realize that Israel is the only place in the Middle East where gays have rights and are treated normally? All those Arabs they're supporting would love to behead the first homo they run into.

I don't care what Ford's intentions may or may not be, I'm just irritated by this anti-Israel movement going around when the facts are not even close to being presented fairly.

Luckily many members of Toronto's council including the mayor agree that its hate-mongering to march calling for the 'end of the Jewish state and Israeli apartheid'

Perhaps you should poll those members of the council and the mayor himself on where they stand on gay rights in general as well. Be careful who you sleep with - the enemy of your enemy might very well not be your friend. You as a queer should know that.

AoD

Last edited:

And yes, I know some of the members of QuAIA in a non-personal capacity enough to know that they've been active in the fight for those rights as far back as the 70s and 80s. You? Besides, if you feel so strongly for gay rights in the Mideast vis-a-vis religious intolerance of such, feel free to march under that banner. It's your right.

AoD

I don't feel it's within the spirit or mandate of Pride for one group of queers to target another, to put it simply. In this case, for QAIA to attack Israeli queers or their supporters. This is a divisive political issue that has nothing to do with Pride.

I don't feel it's within the spirit or mandate of Pride for one group of queers to target another, to put it simply. In this case, for QAIA to attack Israeli queers or their supporters. This is a divisive political issue that has nothing to do with Pride.

Exactly that. This is not in Pride's interest to be involved in the discrimination of another group.

Tewder:

I don't think QuAIA attack Israeli queers or their supporters for who they are.

Filip:

Before you throw words like discrimination around, it's best you understand what it meant. And in case you don't, you should look up what JDL said about gays and lesbians

AoD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back