32     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 455     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 557     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there was ever proof of a war on Rob Ford, its this Shannon Everett business. The mayor gets assaulted, and currently he's being lambasted for "talking" about the incident (which really amounted to him acknowledging a drink was thrown at him). If somebody shot Mayor Ford, people would be criticizing him for getting in the way of the bullet.

This is a minor charge - there's no good reason for a lawyer of Marie Heinen's stature to jump on this case. A 27-year-old yoga instructor affording Heinen's services is a stretch, so it would appear Heinen is either doing this pro bono solely for the opportunity to go against Ford or is being paid by some other vested interest.

Agreed.

If anything, this would polarize the electorate RF supporters even more. Suburban middle 'working' clase families that would never be able to afford a defence attorney at that rate (500/hr?).

This is a minor charge - there's no good reason for a lawyer of Marie Heinen's stature to jump on this case. A 27-year-old yoga instructor affording Heinen's services is a stretch, so it would appear Heinen is either doing this pro bono solely for the opportunity to go against Ford or is being paid by some other vested interest.

Agreed.

If anything, this would polarize the electorate RF supporters even more. Suburban middle 'working' clase families that would never be able to afford a defence attorney at that rate (500/hr?).

Too damn bad. Free market, right?

Their own fault (ford supporters) if they don't work hard enough to afford a proper lawyer.

If this lady is getting help it's because she has earned it by being a good and honest person.

Try working for a day instead of just turning jealous of what other people have.

You don't get much more suburban, middle, working class than living in the suburbs and working for an educational institute.

Judging by the crowds at court houses in Whitby and Brampton, there are plenty of suburban, middle, working class people who can afford lawyers.

Perhaps the work is being done pro bono, perhaps the defendant has savings or a legal plan at work, perhaps legal fees have been exchanged for yoga instruction.

Odds are few of us would turn down representation by a top lawyer within our price range. Besides, isn't this a prime example of the free market and self-sufficiency Ford Inc. espouses?

You don't get much more suburban, middle, working class than living in the suburbs and working for an educational institute.

You also don't get much more downtown elitist than working for the U of T and being a yoga instructor.

She works for University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT) not the University of Toronto

So yoga is now filed under an activity for downtown elitists. Good grief, this is getting really pathetic.

So yoga is now filed under an activity for downtown elitists. Good grief, this is getting really pathetic.

I'm being sarcastic, but come on...you don't see the latte-sipping, bike-riding, downtown elitist also squeezing in a yoga class on their generous unionized lunch break?

Why is the perception that working for UoT is the epitome of a downtown elitist?

Ivory tower intellectual, academic divorced from the "real world," unionized, etc...

Again, I'm being sarcastic, but don't pretend for a second that someone who buys into the "downtown elitist" narrative wouldn't be the first to lump a U of T employee in with that group.

You also don't get much more downtown elitist than working for the U of T and being a yoga instructor.

There is nothing elitist about public education and exercise.

Why is such vitriol aimed solely at downtown elitists instead of suburban elitists? I've lived in the suburbs, in the city, and in Etobicoke. I'm in the heart of Ford Nation almost daily.

How is it elitist to work for a school and teach yoga in Durham but not elitist to volunteer at Tumbling Tots and meet with friends at the Java Joe's in Thorncrest Village after Monday Moksha?

Throwing things at people is foolish no matter what their background is. If Toronto, if the GTA wants to move forward we need to get out of this nasty left/right divide that is polarizing people instead of bringing them together.

I lean centre-left but that doesn't give me carte blanche to close my mind to ideas from other political persuasions.

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time to drive my black Escalade over to Humbertown for a midday meeting with the neighbourhood mums on the horrors of wifi in schools. :)

I think my sarcasm sailed about 1000' over your head. I was making fun of how some (some, not me) would characterize her. It's ridiculous, but to the people who would characterize someone as "downtown elite" working in academia and teaching yoga would be the definition of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back