525     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 548     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 680     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like a crack addict who feverishly scans the ground for dropped crack rocks and jumps on leftover pieces of driveway salt, my own addiction antennae are acutely tuned to get excited by things like this:

gnews.jpg

Attachments

• gnews.jpg
    gnews.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 446
I figured. It was rhetorical. My worry is that this will drag on for perpetuity and if it ever does see the light of day it will be long after the next election. Anything and everything needs to surface sooner than later...anything else just galvanizes his base. I don't want to be saying "I told you so" in 2016, ya know?

Criminal trials involving large raids like Project Traveller require massive resources marshalled in the Crown's office to prosecute. Crowns tends to prioritize on the charges that they believe they can successfully prosecute, are in the public interest, and are sensitive politically. Although the Askov decision requires the accused to see the inside of a court before 24 months pass since being charged, criminal trials are lengthy affairs due to the amount of evidence presented at trial and legal maneuvering. 2015 is more likely for a trial and for evidence to start being adduced in court.

To paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld: "You don't go to an election with the electorate you wish you had, you go to an election with the electorate you have." It's a pretty compelling argument for ranked ballots
In the specific case of the 2010 mayoral election, ranked ballots would probably not have made any difference. Ford won with over 47% of the vote, and it's not hard to imagine that he would have been the second choice of many of those who voted for losing candidates. (For example, he would have had to capture only a quarter of Pantalone's votes to win.)

In the specific case of the 2010 mayoral election, ranked ballots would probably not have made any difference. Ford won with over 47% of the vote, and it's not hard to imagine that he would have been the second choice of many of those who voted for losing candidates. (For example, he would have had to capture only a quarter of Pantalone's votes to win.)

Well, then, it's cynicism, corruption, lawlessness and violence FTW.

Seriously, though, I agree with your analysis, but:

1. I doubt the campaign would have gone the way it did if we had a ranked-ballot system.
2. Surely-to-gawd Ford couldn't be re-elected under a ranked-ballot system, based on his "record" as mayor.

The media lawyers were already successful at getting access to the warrants in the Anthony Smith case: http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...search_warrants_linked_to_second_suspect.html

Sort of. The Star's lawyers (and other media outlets' lawyers) are allowed to see the warrants for the sole purpose of drafting legal materials seeking a court order to allow public disclosure of the warrants and evidence gained thereby. The information yielded as part of the lawyers' review cannot be made public, and the accused's lawyers are fighting to keep the information from becoming public before trial.

I've heard some other rumours from pretty decent sources. They have nothing to do with the video. Let's just say certain people in the press are researching another big story related to Ford.

Does "the press" mean The Star? Because adding fuel to the "Red Star witch hunt" narrative would be awesome :rolleyes:

Criminal trials involving large raids like Project Traveller require massive resources marshalled in the Crown's office to prosecute. Crowns tends to prioritize on the charges that they believe they can successfully prosecute, are in the public interest, and are sensitive politically. Although the Askov decision requires the accused to see the inside of a court before 24 months pass since being charged, criminal trials are lengthy affairs due to the amount of evidence presented at trial and legal maneuvering. 2015 is more likely for a trial and for evidence to start being adduced in court.

Sigh. That's what I was afraid of, but thanks for the explanation.

I'm not trying to be so negative here, I'm just thinking of the political long game outside of the vacuum of this forum. It's not us that we're trying to convince...it's, a) those on the outside that believe this to be a witch hunt until hard evidence is presented; and, b) the base that will support him regardless, but won't be able to hold the lack of hard evidence up as "proof" any more. I really seriously worry about the more passive population that will tire of the coverage (if they haven't already) and vote for him out of sympathy or spite.

From the comments here:
http://www.bazaardaily.co.uk/2013/0...-threatens-legal-action/#.UcBofmuzlSI.twitter

The reporter who saw the video has spoken: My bad, I had pointed fingers at KB as the one saw the video but it wasn't. Kinglsey confirmed on Facebook she got the video but has already been hit with legal warnings if she publishes it. They'll probably hand it off to a gossip rag, more than likely Gawker.

Stacy Lynn Kingsley

To those who have sent me numerous Facebook messages,

The video described in this mornings Daily News landed in the hands of Daily News while we were covering the Much Music Video Awards in Toronto over the weekend. We had initially intended on releasing the video this morning, however, we had already been hit with notifications of legal action if the video made news.

We had obtained the video from an unidentified party in exchange for monetary gain. Ford's lawyer Dennis Morris has issued notifications to each news outlet that has seen the video; threatening legal action if it is posted. We are currently exploring options.

- Stacy

From the comments here:
http://www.bazaardaily.co.uk/2013/0...-threatens-legal-action/#.UcBofmuzlSI.twitter

The reporter who saw the video has spoken: My bad, I had pointed fingers at KB as the one saw the video but it wasn't. Kinglsey confirmed on Facebook she got the video but has already been hit with legal warnings if she publishes it. They'll probably hand it off to a gossip rag, more than likely Gawker.

Stacy Lynn Kingsley

To those who have sent me numerous Facebook messages,

The video described in this mornings Daily News landed in the hands of Daily News while we were covering the Much Music Video Awards in Toronto over the weekend. We had initially intended on releasing the video this morning, however, we had already been hit with notifications of legal action if the video made news.

We had obtained the video from an unidentified party in exchange for monetary gain. Ford's lawyer Dennis Morris has issued notifications to each news outlet that has seen the video; threatening legal action if it is posted. We are currently exploring options.

- Stacy

I can't even get on the site anymore. Too much traffic??

I can't even get on the site anymore. Too much traffic??

Probably. Here's the article:

Daily News has received e-mails from somebody claiming to be a lawyer for Canadian mayor Rob Ford. We previously discussed discussing the video, and the possibility of displaying it here in the paper — however we must first discuss our legal options:

The e-mail: From a man identified as Dennis Morris

‘I have been contacted by the office of Mayor Rob Ford, referencing your implication that your paper may decide to run a photo of Ford smoking crack cocaine. Ford has denied the claims, and the existence of the photo, and any postings of any content of Mr. Ford are defamatory and slanderous. You will be held legally accountable. Ford has made it clear that no events of smoking any illegal drugs took place.

Govern yourself accordingly,

Dennis Morris

In the video Ford is clearly seen smoking crack cocaine while hilariously being filmed on a cell-phone. Ironically, this was quite reminiscent of that Miley Cyrus bong video that popped up on the web about a year ago — who remembers the pop-star smoking the bong in front of a camera and then saying weird things?

In the video, Rob is seen sitting in a chair inside of a house — with a very visible clear pipe in his hands. In the same room, a slurred almost goaded voice can be heard ranting on about Canadian politics — throwing the word f***** around like its nothing. Ford, during the rant is seen with the pipe in one hand and a lighter in the other; red faced, breathing heavily, hilariously ready to hit-that-pipe folks.

About a minute into the video – Ford is seen vicariously smoking crack cocaine while incoherently dissing Justin Trudeau. ‘He’s a f**** f**’ (it gets better) while hellish-off-his-rocker Ford is then seen grabbing for his mobi out of his pocket; only to finally.. almost notice he’s being filmed before telling the cameraman that thing ‘better not f***** be on’.

It must be noted that Ford does indeed by his ‘goodies’ if you will from a drug dealer in Toronto whereas several A-List ‘Torontians’ also do. Including but not limited too: Close friends, hockey associates, his brother, and even his longtime staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back