166     1 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 871     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like council's right wants people to be so outraged over the content of the auditor general's report that they stop thinking rationally.

Lack of rational thinking is what got Ford elected in the first place. Is it surprising that they want to keep things that way?

Who's impugning the integrity of the auditor? Two reports from his office have now been leaked to the press and that's not a good thing. It doesn't have anything to do with his integrity.

There was mismanagement absolutely, but what was wrong with allowing this to go through the audit committee as it would normally? Or keeping the tenants who were elected by "Toronto's most disadvantaged" on the board while working toward fixing this problem? Why, exactly, is kicking people who had literally nothing to do with this scandal off the board and replacing them with Case Ootes such an integral part of this process? And what's the big goddamn rush?

It's like council's right wants people to be so outraged over the content of the auditor general's report that they stop thinking rationally.

It's very amusing watching the left's collective heads explode. Ford is doing a much better job than I could ever have imagined; even the media is starting to support him more and more.

What Vaughan did is absolutely unacceptable, attacking the auditor of one of the biggest scandals in Toronto in recent years. He should be praising him for uncovering such a blatant misuse of public funds instead of belittling him for a leak he has no proof Griffith had any involvement in. The little respect I had for council's left has evaporated.

Who's impugning the integrity of the auditor?

From Royson James' column:

Then Councillor Adam Vaughan, unable to hide his contempt for the auditor general, gave him a lecture on integrity and public accountability and warned of an "audit process that is going off the rails."

Staring at Griffiths, an independent auditor with more integrity than a dozen councillors put together, Vaughan instructed him to 'tighten the regulations and rules' in his department. Then he upbraided Griffiths, ending with:

"And if there’s a leak in his department, it’s on his watch," Vaughan spat, jabbing his finger at Griffiths, a few seats away.

I am afraid it's liberalism that will take genetics to the extreme. The difference between Liberalism and Libertarianism is that Libertarianism believes the power and responsibilities lie with the individuals whereas Liberalism believe the state knows the best. Let the state control genetics? I can't even phantom the horror.

It's quite eye opening reading some of the posts here. I thought liberals would at least agree that all people are equal and people should be allowed to make choices in life. Instead, I see close mindness and secret prejudices based on "statistics". I didn't think the societies in 1984 or Gattaca were possible. Surely people won't give up their freedom without a fight. Yet, I am far more pessimistic now. If a benign dictator came along and promised free medicare and housing for everybody, a society where everybody get the job most suitable for him/her, a communist utopian, half of the people here might welcome him with open arms. After all, we wouldn't have stupid people voting in Rob Ford anymore, TCHC and HIV fundings would be safe. Luckily, Toronto did vote for Rob Ford whereas people living in this fantasy world overwhelmingly supported Smitherman. Even if Rob Ford turned out to be a mistake, at least it's good to see people are still allowed to make mistakes.

Let's not forget that Ford, with all his votes, only had about 25% of the city behind him. That means that 75% are NOT Ford supporters. That doesn't give him a clear mandate to do whatever he pleases.

It's very amusing watching the left's collective heads explode. Ford is doing a much better job than I could ever have imagined; even the media is starting to support him more and more.

What Vaughan did is absolutely unacceptable, attacking the auditor of one of the biggest scandals in Toronto in recent years. He should be praising him for uncovering such a blatant misuse of public funds instead of belittling him for a leak he has no proof Griffith had any involvement in. The little respect I had for council's left has evaporated.

Filip, who are you trying to fool? You have been spouting your radical views on here for quite a while, so we all knew where you stood from way back. I wouldn't expect anything else from you. If anything, you are predictable.

Did you guys see the recent front page of the Sun saying WE'RE MAD AS HELL! lol Yeah, life in Toronto is such a hell hole, no wonder people are so mad! The right wing have control of the banks, the poilce, the federal government and now, the municiple government and they're mad? lol Will they be happy when the cons take over the province too? Is that when all of a sudden, happiness will fill their angry hearts? I would think it's the lefties that would be mad. We live in a messed up world but when you look at the power structures and who controls them, that's not surprising at all. In spite of it all, I'm still not MAD AS HELL! lol

Last edited:
Filip, who are you trying to fool? You have been spouting your radical views on here for quite a while, so we all knew where you stood from way back. I wouldn't expect anything else from you. If anything, you are predictable.

Did you guys see the recent front page of the Sun saying WE'RE MAD AS HELL! lol Yeah, life in Toronto is such a hell hole, no wonder people are so mad! The right wing have control of the banks, the poilce, the federal government and now, the municiple government and they're mad? lol Will they be happy when the cons take over the province too? Is that when all of a sudden, happiness will fill their angry hearts? I would think it's the lefties that would be mad. We live in a messed up world but when you look at the power structures and who controls them, that's not surprising at all. In spite of it all, I'm still not MAD AS HELL! lol

Radical views? I'd say you lefties are a bit more radical than I am- mentioning how Ford could be assassinated and all this blather that I didn't think I'd ever read about municipal politics.

I support arts funding and other programs which the council's left championed, which is where my 'little respect' comes from. Now it's gone, as I don't think anyone could even begin to justify the actions of the TCHC. Deal with the fact that your guys are not in power anymore and stop trying to derail the mayor. From what I'm reading, not only in the media, but from friends and family - Ford is becoming more and more popular.

Radical views? I'd say you lefties are a bit more radical than I am- mentioning how Ford could be assassinated and all this blather that I didn't think I'd ever read about municipal politics.

I support arts funding and other programs which the council's left championed, which is where my 'little respect' comes from. Now it's gone, as I don't think anyone could even begin to justify the actions of the TCHC. Deal with the fact that your guys are not in power anymore and stop trying to derail the mayor. From what I'm reading, not only in the media, but from friends and family - Ford is becoming more and more popular.

Well, if we go by the last public survey, Ford has 60% support after 3 months. Miller, after 2 years, was at 69% support. So in that case, it might not be a good sign for Ford but I guess time will tell. Is Rob even running things? It seems to me like his big brother is the Wizard pulling all the strings. I'm pretty sure the Ford team is gonna pull a Harris and do a whole lot of damage to this city before they are through with it. (and leave people thinking WTF just happened?)

Is anybody not concerned with how little explanation there is about anything? Why is the public not informed about what's going on? What is the big hurry for change? Shouldn't we be doing detailed examinations of where things are going wrong and what are our options? It seems like we are being given tiny snippets of information, with no context or indepth information. To anybody with an IQ over 100, it's pretty clear what is happening.

Filip, you once had a "little respect" for council's left? Really? Why do I feel you're being a little disengenuous here? lol

Last edited:
Royson's account is very colourful but doesn't really jibe with what I saw yesterday -- I guess I can't fault a guy for interpreting things as he sees them.

Christy Blatchford described Vaughan's finger-pointing attack in pretty much the same terms in today's Globe.

While I deplore it, I understand what he's doing: Playing to his base, staking his ground as the leader of Council's left so that the mayoralty falls into his lap when Ford implodes. He may be surprised, though. Right-wing populists usually have a shelf life of at least two terms.

Christy Blatchford described Vaughan's finger-pointing attack in pretty much the same terms in today's Globe.

While I deplore it, I understand what he's doing: Playing to his base, staking his ground as the leader of Council's left so that the mayoralty falls into his lap when Ford implodes. He may be surprised, though. Right-wing populists usually have a shelf life of at least two terms.

I dunno. Ford has pretty much exhausted his simple options. The much harder and more divisive issues lie ahead.

He can't get away with tax cuts the next year (or the year after that) without cutting services. And there's so only so much you can call corruption before it starts becoming a witchhunt.

A small roundout of what the next 100 days will bring:

http://www.thestar.com/news/toronto...ord-what-the-next-100-days-will-bring#article

Last edited:
How is this success? We replace the 4 remaining elected members with a single appointed person?

That City Council had to do something was clear. But surely they should have eliminated the current board, and simply appointed 4 or 5 councillors to be the board until the new board was constituted.

Perhaps it wouldn't be disturbing if Rob Ford didn't proposed privatizing things a couple of weeks ago.

It was amusing to watch Doug Ford and Frances Nunziata making such bald-faced lies during the debate. And OMG - I had no idea Doug Ford was such a terrible speaker.

Weren't the two tenant representatives elected after Ford came into power?

Anyways, it's a little worrying that the control of the TCHC now falls under the mayor's office with the appointment of Ootes.

How is this success? We replace the 4 remaining elected members with a single appointed person?

This is a success because had the 2 tenant and 2 left leaning Councillors remained on the board it probably would have been impossible to fire the CEO any time soon. I suspect that Case Ootes' first order of business will be kicking Keiko Nakamura to the curb. Under her watch $Millions were squandered and lives were lost (Al Gossling). She should not be able to hang on to her $200K / year job after her disastrous performance. She should be fired with cause. Let her try to sue the City for wrongful dismissal - there is a good chance she will loose and have to pay a fortune in legal fees.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back