113     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 741     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 534     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I read Dilla's post, I thought: Post of the Day. But then I also read ThinkRicky's so I have to give it to you both. Bravo! Well said.

I'm sure he did address the photograph in question a week or so ago. When questioned about it he said something like "I take pictures with everyone"

maybe he's sober, for the first time.

CP24 showed him asking questions to a Tim Horton's employee regarding whatever he was there for (unfortunately I missed that) and he was speaking in a clear tone, he wasn't stuttering or mumbling, and appeared engaged.

Did you hear this from the same or multiple sources?

Two different people have told me that Ford was really pissed off after getting off his radio show. One person said he was shouting at Doug. My City Hall source heard through the grape vine that something was up with Rob, he was really angry. So I'll take that as likely even though if it was taken individually, it would be hearsay.

Ford is more isolated than ever so it's now near impossible to get a first hand account without having Doug Ford as a mole. However, cumulatively all the little pieces of info give me the impression that the video is making the rounds and Ford has gotten wind of it and is trying to put out a fire with gasoline, becoming victim to the Barbara Streisand effect: the more his people talk to people who they think has the video, the more more people want to see the video and make copies doing so.

There's a big bounty on this video. Somebody is going to have to slip. I don't believe for one second that anybody would be so stupid not to copy the video, specially after telling the Star reporters that they had made a copy. Why wouldn't they? To be honest with Ford if he bought the original copy? Honest drug dealers? Really? Maybe to escape the wrath of their community upset that they're being targeted? For $200K, I don't care if my mother was upset with me. I'd buy her a 1 month cruise to go relax after I cashed out.

I believe that Gawker is telling the truth and that the original owner wants to be left alone but only because he either sold the video to Ford or lost it to somebody else. I don't believe for a minute that anybody in that community living in poverty threw out a suitcase full of crisp Benjamin bills totalling US$200K.

I'm sure he did address the photograph in question a week or so ago. When questioned about it he said something like "I take pictures with everyone"

To which everyone promptly said "that's bullshit, why were you in an area with these guys wearing a sweatshirt taking pictures?"

It's one thing to be out and about in broad daylight in your business clothes and taking pictures... it's entirely another to be taking them at night in your sweats.

Here's a hint: if someone offers a vague answer, they're usually hiding something and they're unsure of the words coming out of their mouth. If they can offer a detailed explanation it's usually because they know the exact circumstances and are confident that they were doing nothing wrong.

If he had said "I knew the guys from football, I was on my way out of a convenience store and they just wanted to take a picture, so I said sure - you can check the backdrop, it's next to the 7-11 at ______" then a lot more people would be thinking it's an innocent photo op with some kids that he knew, or anyone in general. Since he refuses to address it in any REAL capacity, it's clear that he doesn't actually have a good explanation and that's probably because there's something to hide, or something he doesn't want people to know.

I believe that Gawker is telling the truth and that the original owner wants to be left alone but only because he either sold the video to Ford or lost it to somebody else. I don't believe for a minute that anybody in that community living in poverty threw out a suitcase full of crisp Benjamin bills totalling US$200K.

Here's what I don't understand - suppose we were told the truth and the video owner wanted to start a new life out west. Why would he be pressured by the community he is about to leave behind to keep the video from seeing daylight? It doesn't make any sense - $200K and a new life out west, all undone by some old person in the community wagging his finger in the guy's face and talking about shame? I don't buy it.

So there's two possibilities - the video owner was lying in their original story, or there are a lot more severe forms of pressure (threats to family/life?) on him to keep the video to himself. It seems like the former is more likely, if the recent paper reports are true - if the video belonged to the guy in Fort McMurray, "The video is gone" is probably because the guy was arrested and his copy on his phone is now part of a police investigation. So it really can't be sold, and the story of community shame and a change of heart is a cover for it.

I guess we can rule out that possibility when we know if the video is part of the police investigation or not, and it sounds like that's what the media is looking into. There was a story in the Sun today where the lawyer said they are having difficulty getting the evidence in order for the case. In the next paragraph the lawyer states he doesn't know of any connection of his case to the video - but given client-lawyer privelege that's exactly what I'd expect to hear if the video WAS connected.

Stay clear of the Dufferin Bridge this afternoon:

City of Toronto Media Relations has issued the following:
==========================================

Media Advisory

June 5, 2013

Mayor to tour Dufferin Street bridge site with staff

Mayor Rob Ford will tour the Dufferin Street bridge, which will close to traffic on June 12 for safety reasons and will remain closed for an extended period to allow for necessary repairs. The bridge spans the GO Transit/Metrolinx Rail Corridor.

The Mayor will speak about the City of Toronto's response to the bridge closure and will highlight the need to maintain infrastructure spending. City staff will be available to answer technical questions about the bridge.

Date: Wednesday, June 5
Time: 4 p.m.
Location: Dufferin Street Bridge (south of Springhurst Avenue)

Here's what I don't understand - suppose we were told the truth and the video owner wanted to start a new life out west. Why would he be pressured by the community he is about to leave behind to keep the video from seeing daylight? It doesn't make any sense - $200K and a new life out west, all undone by some old person in the community wagging his finger in the guy's face and talking about shame? I don't buy it.

So there's two possibilities - the video owner was lying in their original story, or there are a lot more severe forms of pressure (threats to family/life?) on him to keep the video to himself. It seems like the former is more likely, if the recent paper reports are true - if the video belonged to the guy in Fort McMurray, "The video is gone" is probably because the guy was arrested and his copy on his phone is now part of a police investigation. So it really can't be sold, and the story of community shame and a change of heart is a cover for it.

I guess we can rule out that possibility when we know if the video is part of the police investigation or not, and it sounds like that's what the media is looking into. There was a story in the Sun today where the lawyer said they are having difficulty getting the evidence in order for the case. In the next paragraph the lawyer states he doesn't know of any connection of his case to the video - but given client-lawyer privelege that's exactly what I'd expect to hear if the video WAS connected.

I think the guy who showed the video to Gawker and The Star probably had it taken away from him by some people who did a little more than as nicely for it and is afraid for his life if he talks about it. Could have been rival criminals, could have been the cops, but either way this guy got screwed over by the video becoming public knowledge.

Two different people have told me that Ford was really pissed off after getting off his radio show. One person said he was shouting at Doug. My City Hall source heard through the grape vine that something was up with Rob, he was really angry.
Given that Doug has seen his potential provincial political career go up in smoke, and I'd be surprised that his long-term ambition is to remain a ward councillor, I'd have thought that Doug would likely have said something to Rob by now.

Rob seemed more with it on Friday at his news conference than I've seen in a long time. Was he just as functional on Sunday? The whole story may have forced or shocked him into a period of sobriety that he hasn't experienced in a long time.

Ford's new staff are really putting him out in front. He's been out in the community at fundraisers and events, talking city matters, openly discussing and supporting "causes close to his heart"... quite a turnaround from just one week ago.

When was the last time there was an advisory about Ford appearing?

Think about it, it's a compromised structure.... (I couldn't resist that one!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back