News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 379     0 

Rob Ford's Subway plan and the 2001 Rapid Transit Expansion Study

Good question. I'd say it's because the 2001 plan was from the last time a guy from the suburbs was mayor. It was a bad plan then and it's a bad plan now.

James Bow says that when the 2001 plan came out, inner city councillors flipped, and Mel Lastman was forced to say that Eglinton would be prioritized over Sheppard.

Rob Ford got elected by putting the Lastman coalition back together. It's odd to me that a guy from Etobicoke is against the original Eglinton plan and for Sheppard. But there are clearly a lot of anti-development homeowners along Eglinton that never wanted Miller's Eglinton LRT to go past their houses. I'm pretty sure Rob was one of them. The all-underground plan makes it much harder to get the Eglinton line out there, ever.

That makes more sense. So this battle has been going on since network 2011 basically.

But thanks to McGuinty they lost the western part. What's the point of getting off at black creelk?

Personally, I would prefer to see an underground station at Weston Road, but above ground at Black Creek and an above ground terminal at Jane. Keeping the crossovers and trail track at Keele, and only a crossover at Jane, and no crossover or trail track at Weston.

The thing is. It's hard to look at a map of Toronto, and it's current transit system and NOT come up with fairly similar transit plans. The main corridors are Finch by nature of being two of the busiest bus routes in the system, Eglinton by nature of being the cities central E-W spine and Y/E development, anything done to relieve the Yonge/Bloor interchange (DRL, new N/S link, etc), desire to connect to the airport, and expansions to existing rapid transit lines Spadina to Vaughan, Yonge to Richmond Hill, Danforth to STC, Bloor to Mississauga, and Sheppard to Downsview and STC. The main differences are how we execute these corridors, as subway, LRT, or BRT and how to integrate with GO regional rail.

I know but why did mcguinty cut the line at black creek? Why not Jane or evern Royal York.

I have 3 theories:

1) That's as far west as the money that they were willing to spend could take them.
2) They just wanted it to go as far as the connection to the Georgetown line. If you extend it to Jane or Black Creek, then people would ask "why not just go all the way to the airport?" At least at Black Creek, it's ending at a decent hub.
3) Metrolinx realized that the design for Eglinton West was sub-optimal, and they wanted a grade-separated option, but Miller & Co were set on in-median, at-grade LRT. Rather than have a public spat about it, it was easier to just "delay it".

The "McGuinty cut" from a couple years ago terminated the line at Jane, not Black Creek.

It's only with the Rob Ford plan that we have seen discussion about cutting it back even further to Black Creek or Keele.

The "McGuinty cut" from a couple years ago terminated the line at Jane, not Black Creek.

It's only with the Rob Ford plan that we have seen discussion about cutting it back even further to Black Creek or Keele.

I thought they didn't specify the exact termination point. I thought it was just "Black Creek/Jane". I could be mis-remembering though.

I thought they didn't specify the exact termination point. I thought it was just "Black Creek/Jane". I could be mis-remembering though.

They did specify Jane when they announced the cutback in early 2010. Here's a map (click for PDF):

It's with Rob Ford that the terminus has become "Weston/Black Creek", but talk of Jane or Keele still crops up on occasion:

Crosstown_system-map_v3-w-stations.jpg

Last edited:
Metrolinx also knew that a B-D extension would mean years of delays, but they had a chance to eliminate one of the big gripes with the SRT: the forced transfer at Kennedy. By making it a through-line, they made the line a lot more useful. They also got to save Eglinton, the centrepiece of the Toronto section of the Big Move.

I would have thought this was a Ford idea to justify underground LRT on Eglinton from Kennedy to Leslie (Laird). If the transfer still existed at Kennedy, people would transfer to the B-D line. Prior to construction, there would be much more pressure to switch back to a street level LRT. After construction, Eglinton LRT East would be lightly travelled and become a bit of a white elephant. By making a through line, Ford ensures that his grade separated Eglinton East will proceed.

Okay, I don't know why I'm not seeing any more focus on this dilemma and redundancy:

If Sheppard is extended to STC, any significant ridership gain (that is, relatively significant) would be negated by a completed Eglinton. They share the same goddam origin point, so why would downtown-bound transit users opt for Sheppard (which veers north before going west to Yonge)? The majority of a.m transit users would obviously take the Eglinton Crosstown, so it should be obvious that Sheppard would only lose whatever paltry ridership it has.

Perhaps it should go to Eglinton GO Station instead.

If B-D were extended to STC, Eglinton LRT could have been run along Eglinton, Kingston Rd, U of T, Morningside. Maybe some short-turning at Kennedy or Eglinton GO. Without B-D extension, volumes are too high coming down from STC and a forced transfer is not wanted.

Okay, I don't know why I'm not seeing any more focus on this dilemma and redundancy:

If Sheppard is extended to STC, any significant ridership gain (that is, relatively significant) would be negated by a completed Eglinton. They share the same goddam origin point, so why would downtown-bound transit users opt for Sheppard (which veers north before going west to Yonge)? The majority of a.m transit users would obviously take the Eglinton Crosstown, so it should be obvious that Sheppard would only lose whatever paltry ridership it has.

I agree that if both Sheppard subway and Eglinton Crosstown LRT reached STC, people would take LRT. If Sheppard subway gets built to STC, and B-D gets extended, how would this become continuous through service when stations along Sheppard are not big enough. I do not think that crosstown travel in this corridor warrants a subway.

Ford sensed the frustration with this NE part of the city, but I think Sheppard subway was the wrong solution. LRT from Agincourt to Kennedy station would have helped NW Scarborough. B-D extension to STC would have helped the shopping centre and surrounding appartement towers, and served GO bus routes as well. SRT from Midland to STC to Malvern would have helped the NE. I think there were less expensive ways to solve the transit concerns of Scarborough, but unfortunately Ford was only aware of a Sheppard subway as a solution.

Back