News   May 01, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 340     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 357     0 

Rob Ford - Why the Supervillian?

And you just proved my point about being intolerant of others with having views and opinions that are different from your own.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with believing in traditional marriage. It's just a different opinion. A lot of people believe in traditional marriage. I do. Almost all my friends do. It doesn't make us spiteful, vengeful and small minded people. We just believe that traditional should be between a man and a woman. That's it. There's no conspiracy here.

Since a good portion of canadians believe in traditional marriage, by your account we're all too small minded to lead or participate in polictics. The larger issue now is that so many people are afraid to voice their views on a variety of topics because people like this poster will automatically label them a bigot and marginalize them.

And there was a time when a "good portion" believed that inter-racial marriage was wrong. Or that integration was wrong.

Opinions can be wrong.

Hey, I'm pro-traditional marriage. It isn't like I wanna abolish the option so that the only marrieds we have are fairies, zebras, etc. If dudes and gals wanna have an old-fashioned church wedding, let'em. I'm pro-traditional marriage, in other words. Freedom of choice

I am sick of this PC nonsense where one can't openly say what you believe in! Rob Ford believes in traditional marriage--so be it! I suspect many UT-ites' parents believe in that as well, as do many married couples. Personally, I could care less but I do think a mayoral candidate is allowed to have a position on this issue. One of the reasons I suspect RF said so publicly is many of his backers are demanding he say such things. You'd be surprised who's behind this guy.... Rob Ford isn't scary...in person, he just happens to sadly reflect the majority of Torontonians I've met.

The only reasons I'd vote for him--comedy+perceived (Scots-Irish no doubt) cheapness. The other candidates are just so boring, typical Toronto. Blah.

What?

No, as I said before we all have our beliefs. When we enter into public service, however, we have to be a little bigger than ourselves, don't we? In this specific context it would have played out entirely differently if he had stated that although he personally believes in the traditional definition of marriage he affirms the right for all to marry according to theirs and pledges to protect the right to do so. Done. Everybody happy. Controversy over.

I agree that political correctness gets taken to ridiculous lengths at times but what we're talking about here is a deliberate lack of compassion and sensitivity for a long-marginalized segment of the population. Again, playing into the presumed latent sympathies of a large silent majority of voters at the expense of this marginalized group just seems like a cheap shot and gives us a little glimpse of what we can expect to see more of from this guy.

Then I wouldn't make a good polictian then. I don't believe in hiding your personal beliefs behind a facade of trying to sell sometihing to the public. But all polictians play this game. I don't think there's a single one that doesn't get caught up in the machine where you have to suppress certain views because it might alienate you from the voters.

And there was a time when a "good portion" believed that inter-racial marriage was wrong. Or that integration was wrong.

Opinions can be wrong.

But it was still marriage between men and women.

Now, people want it to include being between the same sex and a lot people obviously question this and why it has to be changed. It's a legimate question and people have the right to express their misgivings about it and not be subjected to marginalization. I tend to think we are going too far with tinkering with social norms at times but that's just my opinion.

Don't lynch me.......

Last edited:
Look, I don't really care about people holding stupid opinions - lots of people do - what I do dislike is people who clearly know better hand waving away a candidate's dumb and discriminatory opinions because they're convinced he'll lower their taxes or whatever.

Of course he will. If he trips and falls on any of them, they'll be gished flat as a pancake

But it was still marriage between men and women.

Now, people want it to include being between the same sex and a lot people obviously question this and why it has to be changed. It's a legimate question and people have the right to express their misgivings about it and not be subjected to marginalization. I tend to think we are going too far with tinkering with social norms at times but that's just my opinion.

Don't lynch me.......

So then can we assume that when you say that you support the "traditional" definition of marriage you mean the purchase of a female for the purpose of sexual exclusivity and the assurance of offspring?

Don't forget the loss of self and usually most of your money.

So then can we assume that when you say that you support the "traditional" definition of marriage you mean the purchase of a female for the purpose of sexual exclusivity and the assurance of offspring?

No, choosing a random girl, clubbing her on the head and dragging her off by the hair

There's a difference between having a diversity of opinion which is always welcome. But then it raises the question will your opinions color your political decisions. Does his opposition to gay marriage mean he hates gays? Does it mean that he'll cut support for LGBT causes? Harper tried to turn up this debate when he was elected and attempted to actually take rights away from gays and lesbians (the first time that would ever have happened in modern Canadian history). And I'm always suspicious of politicians that use exclusive rather than inclusive language to get elected.

People don't get elected in this city or country (outside of Alberta) by pushing their allegiance will some old ratty religious book.

And we really would not be having this debate if Rob Ford said he hated black, Asian or Italian people. Or that he was going to impose the death penalty for shellfish eaters and sassy teenagers.

And there was a time when a "good portion" believed that inter-racial marriage was wrong. Or that integration was wrong. Opinions can be wrong.

good on you for having the guts to state it as directly as that!

and dont forget that tradition in some cultures allows honour killing of women... something well worth preserving!:rolleyes:

4812693680_94332990a2_o.jpg

Last edited:

Back