News   Jul 30, 2024
 869     3 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 501     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 613     1 

Rob Ford - Why the Supervillian?

People wonder why ROB FORD is so popular?
stunts like this at CITY HALL..

Yes privately raised (but who's going to pay the fundraisers and organisers... oh, let's not forget the administrative overhead this museum will require, the 20 TTC Union employees, etc etc), at 5.5 million, you would think there are more important things they should be concentrating on.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/transportation/article/851496--councillors-endorse-transit-museum

Everytime your city councillor doesn't object to this sort of stunt, Rob Ford gets more votes.

The GTA already has a great transit museum at http://www.hcry.org/ . They've got TTC subways (http://www.hcry.org/col_rapidTransit.html), streetcars (http://www.hcry.org/col_streetcars.html) and buses (http://www.hcry.org/col_rubber.html). Much of it operates on their track. It's a great day out for the family.

That is very cool and the admission rates are reasonable too. Does it get busy during the summer?

Too bad it's so far though.

There is something a bit odd about having to drive on the highway for 45 minutes to get to a transit museum...

It's so appropriate that the 2 vehicles parked closest to his Campaign Headquarter are

- a pick-up truck
- some random huge american car, probably has a gas guzzling V8 i bet

A Ford F-150--get it?

An early 2000s Chevrolet Monte Carlo--assembled in Oshawa, Ontario. Get it?

RF gets the union vote. Those that normally vote ndp, ironically enough, are voting for rob ford this time.

There is something a bit odd about having to drive on the highway for 45 minutes to get to a transit museum...
It's built on the old radial (i.e. electric) railway line that used to run from Toronto to Hamilton before the days of the 401/QEW. The tracks the streetcars at the museum run on are part of the original network.

A museum inside the city of Toronto would consist of static vehicles, collecting dust. Whereas the Milton museum's mandate is to have as much of their rolling stock actually operational. Toronto couldn't even keep the steam locomotive at the CNE in good shape. Forget about a museum.

This all depends on what kind of museum we're speaking of. SEPTA (Philadelphia) has a small museum in the lobby of its headquarters downtown, adjacent to one of the Market-Frankford/PATCO stations. It has a static display of an old PCC car in old colours and old ads inside. It has some rotating displays of pictures, historical facts and various artifacts and a gift shop selling SEPTA-specific and non-specific railway and transit books, collectibles and toys. This is kind of similar to the New York Subway Museum satellite at Grand Central Terminal, which I think is about right for Toronto, but think that Union Station is a better place than York Mills Station for this. The Cable Car museum in San Francisco is interesting partly because it's an adjunct to the wheelhouse for the cable car system; the museum is otherwise quite small. There's also a separate streetcar museum and gift shop near the F-Market line.

Halton County Railway is a nice working museum of TTC and non-TTC equipment (it has working equipment from Montreal and Southern Counties, for example), but I found it's a hobby interest and some (certainly not all) people there are a bit nutty and unfriendly. They do good work with what they have though.

Last edited:
Yes privately raised (but who's going to pay the fundraisers and organisers... oh, let's not forget the administrative overhead this museum will require, the 20 TTC Union employees, etc etc), at 5.5 million, you would think there are more important things they should be concentrating on.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tran...transit-museum

Everytime your city councillor doesn't object to this sort of stunt, Rob Ford gets more votes.

Well, people who are upset by this probably *should* be voting for Ford because he represents their values. That's what democracy is about. The regrettable part is that so many fall for the Sun-style righteous outrage spin on anything constructive that is proposed, in the first place.

It's so appropriate that the 2 vehicles parked closest to his Campaign Headquarter are

- a pick-up truck
- some random huge american car, probably has a gas guzzling V8 i bet

Well, if you're trying to imply that big gas gusslers are supposed to associate their drivers in a negative light (which I totally agree with), then I just wanted to point out Smitherman's hipocracy at his 'Green Energy' kick off back in January. A FLEET of SUVs lined the parking lot, one with the plate 'energize'.

granted they where all hybrids "rolls eyes".

A Ford F-150--get it?

An early 2000s Chevrolet Monte Carlo--assembled in Oshawa, Ontario. Get it?

RF gets the union vote. Those that normally vote ndp, ironically enough, are voting for rob ford this time.

lol, i'm pretty sure he didn't get some big bulky American (but Canuck-made) vehicles just to get the so-called "union vote".
do those unionists who build those cars even live in toronto?
i figure they'd live in the 'Shwa. it feels like such a redneck town, i bet they all work for the General :D

BTW don't think the F-150 is Canadian-made anyways

Well, people who are upset by this probably *should* be voting for Ford because he represents their values. That's what democracy is about. The regrettable part is that so many fall for the Sun-style righteous outrage spin on anything constructive that is proposed, in the first place.

Come on.You don't have to a be conservative to understand that the city has financial problems and needs to set priorities on spending and the TTC needs to get its act together as well. A TTC museum is hardly the most important project to be looking at right now. If it's completely funded and built with private funds and then run by a private company then fine but some people are suspicious of this.

Last edited:
Come on. You don't have to a be conservative to understand that the city has financial problems and needs to set priorities on spending and the TTC needs to get its act together as well. A TTC museum is hardly the most important project to be looking at right now. If it's completely funded and built with private funds and then run by a private company then fine but some people are suspicious of this.

I stand by what I said, and you are confirming its validity. Since you believe that the city should only be looking at the "most important" thing and nothing else, and that the most important thing is "setting priorities on spending" (I imagine you mean making cuts to non-most-important things), I assume you'll be voting for Mr. Ford.

It's a weird hallmark of modern neo-conservatism that government can only do one thing at one time. It's a lame, defeatist argument that lets elected officials off the hook, though I guess you still get people who defend Mike Harris by saying "Sure, he increased hospital wait times, increased the high school drop-out rate, and made a bunch of people drink water with poop in it, but he fixed the economy without raising taxes!"

Back