News   Jul 31, 2024
 492     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 456     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 388     2 

Rob Ford - Why the Supervillian?

Just because a house is old does not mean it is worth saving. If that were the case, nothing much would be built in Toronto. Drive by and look at the house. It needs to have a day with an excavator. It is nothing but a ramshackle old cottage that would not even meet today's minimum standard building codes. I just drove by the house a couple weeks ago and I would figure the people immediately south are the ones complaining. 204 Beech is a dump! It has a turret, big deal. Drive on Beech and see the various styles from old to new. Just north of the house in question there is two rows of town homes.....the street is a mixed bag, just the way it is. The house in question, and it’s nothing special and has no historical significance. "Oh it's cute because it has a round turret on it".

To quote a post I made elsewhere...

""Waaaah! I can't tear down this obsolete old wreck for my grotesque McMansion, because the NIMBYs and hysterical preservationists together with the local councillor are all on my back! Can you help me, please, Mayor Ford?" "

Last edited:
Fitzy, my apologies. I’ve been overwhelmed lately by people claiming things that are obvious mis-truths.
Perhaps because virtually everything you write is a mistruth! On this board, one can pretty much read what Fresh Start writes, and assume that any normal person would think the opposite.

The $400,000 for a skateboard park
So you are against skateboard parks? It's very well-used. How could one oppose it?

"We're an early morning business - if the area is congested because of these light rail vehicles, people will avoid it," he said. "We'll have to wait and see - see how the community responds. We're at the mercy of the community's comfort zone and driving patterns. The question is how bad it will be. We know it will be bad."
Hang on ... your criticizing here because she didn't oppose the new streetcar yards being built in the Portlands? The complaint was by a handful of neighbours concerned that would be streetcar tracks down on Leslie south of Queen ... you have once again proved your credentials as an anti-transit NIMBY!

So let me get this straight, you'd like to see more developments along Queen Street East (I’m assuming that’s the “major avenue”) and the primary reason you're opposed to Bruce Baker is his occupation?
No ... I was thinking that Danforth was a major avenue. I was referring to the new development at Woodbine/Danforth. Baker has been active in opposing the community in this ward trying to develop things. He's not a serious prospect.

Are you really from Ward 32 or are you pulling our chain?
I have posts going back from before you assume your current persona that identifies roughly where I live.

You realize that as an insider both within the TTC and real estate worlds, Baker is the most qualified to advocate on the Beaches community’s behalf sustainable transit and development options right?
Baker is running so that he can have less opposition to his developments, and increase his income. This is the kind of insider we want? He's a joke!

What has Bussin done for Ward 32 lately
We've got this brand new skatepark! No one would object to that. And she's just landed a huge employer to develop the lands that have been vacant for years at the corner of Leslie and Lakeshore to build a streetcar yard - I think that's a huge accomplishment to add employment in the ward. She's pushed relentlessly for improvements to the 501 service. And she's certainly worked well to on an individual basis. I asked her to get the 92 Woodbine service fixed ... and she immediately asked TTC to study the issue, and it was improved within months.

I charge that it is you who is ignorant or rather indifferent to the suffering of your fellow community members at the hands of this person. What Bussin has done is effectively set back the live of a quadriplegic by about two years.
That is the most bizarre statement you've made. She didn't delay them asking for a demolition permit. The demolition permit was issued almost immediately. Process was followed.

I’m sincerely hoping for an East Toronto sweep: Ootes, Fletcher, Davis, Bussin replaced by Pitfield, Dewdney, Walker and Baker. It is good to see someone challenging Bussin. It is time for change in Ward 32.
I have no idea why your so suddenly interested in my ward. Don't you live in outer Scarberia? Given your record of being an anti-transit Nimby and a Rob Ford shill, then I'd think any rational person would note who you support and vote for anyone else!

If you are so up on local issues though ... tell me what you think of the Gardiner expressway, that some wanted (and heck some still want) to cut it's way through this ward?

Last edited:
I'd like to point out that never spending any taxpayer money on anything ever is not the same as managing taxpayer money. Can you cite a few examples of Rob Ford taking a leadership role on council or in a committee to successfully execute a project that had significant positive impact on voters?

In fact, not using funding provided by the city doesn't mean he didn't pay anything out of his pocket - which of course leads to all kinds of questions about the transparency and undue influence.

AoD

Waffler:

Well, interesting that you chose to argue that because they are politicians personal ethics is something we can overlook - how can we demand better, as you clearly seem to desire if that's the attitude? As much as you may disagree with the politics of Miller, he hasn't have any gross lapses in personal ethics and judgement over his tenure. I can't say the same for Ford for one - the contrary, in fact. Everyone makes mistakes - but to do so consistently and act in a belligerent manner about such mistakes, blaming it on others, denying them only to have to admit to them with the greatest of reluctance when evidence shows otherwise? That's not a leadership trait.

I have noticed you have ignored my challenge. And no, while I don't consider the Pride to be the issue that the city should cast its' vote on, I believe the most of the other candidates in question can at least back up their claim of support - and not have quotes that shows clearly otherwise.

AoD

No, Miller has just had massive errors in judgment when it comes to all things involving the city's finances. That isn't a leadership trait either. I demand better in terms of fiscal management of the city. Ethic's? If Ford has done anything truly unethical, it hasn't damaged him has it? He's not being investigate for a crime is he? If saying or doing something stupid or talking out of both sides of your mouth is unethical, then every politician is unethical.

Not ignoring you... it's just that I have a job and can't spend prolonged hours surfing.

2) Giorgio Mammoliti - mowed lawns for Toronto Public Housing and then became a union steward. Mammoliti eventually became the president of his CUPE local, a fact which says more about CUPE leadership than his fitness to be mayor.

He was a building superintendent. Back in the 1980's we'd go to an MTHA site (called that back then) you'd spend half your day trying to find anyone to get you keys so you could do your job. CUPE guys could have taught Houdini a thing or two about disappearing. They'd get mad at you when you'd "bother" them (which was only because we were trying to do our job) and were sometime quite belligerent at times.

Miller's biggest financial mistake was continuously pointing to the fiscal imbalance between Ontario and its municipalities. He did this so often - usually dramatically forecasting doom for the city unless the province helped - to the point where lots of people got jaded to it and decided that the problem wasn't the imbalance - the problem was instead Miller himself.

The unfortunate reality, though, is that getting the province to reassume some of their previous responsibilities is absolutely critical to the city's long-term fiscal health. You're not going to change that by cutting back the gardening budget at City Hall.

Waffle:

No, Miller has just had massive errors in judgment when it comes to all things involving the city's finances. That isn't a leadership trait either. I demand better in terms of fiscal management of the city.

And how has Ford demonstrated he is capable of "better fiscal management", considering he isn't the one who has to deal with a) aging infrastructure b) provincially mandated programs the city has to pay for, c) labour laws not within his limit to change and d) provincial downloading - which he in fact supported given his association with both Harris and Flaherty? Has he put forth a comprehensive plan of fiscal management that shows how and where he would be able to make sound judgement in the city's finances, other than relying on soundbites of his supposed fiscal pedigree?

At a more local level - is Rexdale the paragon of a well run area and thriving of the city because of Rob Ford's presence and his focus on "community participation"? Or on that matter, is Etobicoke?

Ethic's? If Ford has done anything truly unethical, it hasn't damaged him has it? He's not being investigate for a crime is he? If saying or doing something stupid or talking out of both sides of your mouth is unethical, then every politician is unethical.

Since when did "truly unethical" (whatever "truth" meant) equates to political damage by default? And let this little piece of news jog your mind a little:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...h-integrity-commissioner-says/article1559703/

Not ignoring you... it's just that I have a job and can't spend prolonged hours surfing.

Clearly, your job didn't stop you from making another posting this very same thread.

AoD

Last edited:
Which makes Ford one of the more qualified candidates/municipal politicians we have going for us.

1) George Smitherman - grade 10 dropout.

2) Giorgio Mammoliti - mowed lawns for Toronto Public Housing and then became a union steward. Mammoliti eventually became the president of his CUPE local, a fact which says more about CUPE leadership than his fitness to be mayor.

3) I'm sure there are other sadly undereducated, questionably qualified members of our city council, but I'm afraid to check.

If we judge by educational credentials alone, Rocco Rossi (MA in politics from Princeton) is the most qualified mayoral candidate.

Ford's style of politics however plays right into anti-intellectualism - i.e. the problem is we need common sense and less "over-educated elitist intellectuals" like Miller.

Last edited:
Ford's style of politics however plays right into anti-intellectualism

Indeed. That's exactly what the Harris' CSR and Harper's "Tim Horton Man" is all about. Of course, the CSR legacy has been laid bare for all to see, and TO is still reeling from the lost decade that is the 90s.

This anti-thinking bent is also one that's adopted by the conservatives in the US - to rather devastating effect at the level of political discourse in the said country. The kind of conservative I can vote for - Crombie, Davis and Tory - has nothing in common with this ilk. Tory - regardless of whether you agree with the broad strokes of his politics - is one of ethic, vision, service and passion for the city he is in - unlike RF, who has demonstrated nothing in terms of leadership skills other than being contrarian.

And for the record, I am not saying this because I want the latter to join the race to draw the votes from RF so that someone else can win the race - but because I think that Tory is far more desirable as a mayoral candidate than any of the current batch of candidates.

AoD

Last edited:
If we judge by educational credentials alone, Rocco Rossi (MA in politics from Princeton) is the most qualified mayoral candidate.

Ford's style of politics however plays right into anti-intellectualism - i.e. the problem is we need common sense and less "over-educated elitist intellectuals" like Miller.

I hope that doesn't mean a Geography degree... lol...

Indeed. That's exactly what the Harris' CSR and Harper's "Tim Horton Man" is all about. Of course, the CSR legacy has been laid bare for all to see, and TO is still reeling from that lost decade that is the 90s.

AoD

The next incarnation of the CSR is coming, so get your placards ready. Every new tax imposed guarantees it.

Fresh Start, fes-up, are you really Rob Ford? You must be a politician because you certainly sound like one. When asked a question about Ford, you never answer, you just criticize all his running mates. Is it too much to ask a simple question and get a straight foreward answer? Isn't that what you claim to like about Ford? (practice what you preach) God, I feel like I'm reading the transcripts from Sunday report. You really do lose credibility by not answering a simple question.

Do I consider a person's academic background the most important thing? NO! It's only because I question the intelligence of Ford and his ability to understand complex issues. If he actually demonstrated his ability to understand complex issues and seemed intelligent, it would not be an issue for me. I've also read many accounts of him not reading important documents and reports before a vote was taken on council and he has a reputation as a slacker, when it comes to doing research on issues. I have never met the man myself, so I can only judge from what I've seen on TV and what was written about him. Many insiders claim he does not understand many of the issues. Do you really want to put someone in charge who might not have the intelligence to run this city? I have seen no evidence that this guy has that ability. Have you ever heard Ford speak? It doesn't give one much confidence.

OK, what's up with you calling everyone a lefty? lol Is it turrets syndrome or something? I do not support any party. I really vote for whoever seems to be the best man/woman for the job, whether it's Liberal, NDP, Conservative or Green Party. For me it's not about left or right, it's about picking a leader who will do what's best for Toronto. If Tory was running, I'd most likely vote for him at this point. He seems the most reasonable, competent and intelligent.

It appears to me that people of your mindset could care less about the competence or intelligence of who you vote for. What's more important for you, is if they support your issues. A candidate can be as dumb as a rock but if he says the right things (cut taxes) some people will line up behind him. I just can't understand why people woud vote for that person, knowing he's the worst possible person for the job. You want a strong right winger, fine, get a smart, competent one who people can have some confidence in.

My comment calling Ford supporters low-lifes, was uncalled for. (and a bad choice of words) It was just after I read the article about Ford voting against the development of Lawrence Heights, so I was pissed and over reacted. The NIMBY stupidity in the city makes me crazy sometimes. GGRRRR!!!!

Did anybody on here read Hume's article on Ford, in todays Star? I think he hit the nail right on the head. I just hope his prediction is correct.

Last edited:
Did anybody on here read Hume's article on Ford, in todays Star? I think he hit the nail right on the head. I just hope his prediction is correct.
Ooh ... wonderful, I'll have to find it ... normally I read the Star on the bus, but I drove today ...

Back