News   Apr 24, 2024
 672     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 874     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 555     0 

Rob Ford and Pride

All of the complaints about ''nudity", etc. at the parade are overblown. If you actually go to the parade, you don't end up seeing anything much more risque than what you see on tv any night of the week. And like tv, the most dominant images you'll end up seeing are corporate logos. Lots and lots of sponsorships ...

A baseball inside foreskin is not something I often see on TV.

A baseball inside foreskin is not something I often see on TV.

I've never even seen that on the Internet, I don't think it's possible (I Googled it). One small group of men walk naked (a men's nude club or something) and you say you've seen that? Come on!

I didn't say it did. But lets not pretend this is some sort of family event sponsored by Disney.

so if you're not there to actually witness what you're saying, then how can you say the following:

He's there every year.

are you getting your info by watching file footage from the news that's played the same 2 minute loop of film year after year after year?

I didn't say it did. But lets not pretend this is some sort of family event sponsored by Disney.

No one has ever suggested that this is a "G-rated" family event like the Santa Claus Parade. What defines who we are as a community and as individuals is our sexuality, and so it follows that a big parade celebrating who we are or protesting our grievances will have some people who will be celebrating just that - openly, freely and legally. Personally, I don't think that the fully nude group of men marching in public should be allowed, but that's just me. Aside from that, anything goes but as risque as it gets from there are topless women (legal) and plenty of young men in swim wear dancing & gyrating to music on floats, also quite legal. If anyone shows up at a gay pride, dyke or trans parade and expects to see some Disney type sanctioned entertainment, well they're just not very, um, well informed.

What defines who we are as a community and as individuals is our sexuality, and so it follows that a big parade celebrating who we are or protesting our grievances will have some people who will be celebrating just that - openly, freely and legally.

Do straight people have a parade for all the reasons stated above? No. Why not?

Because heterosexual couples in this country, common-law or married, have been afforded full human rights in the workplace, with housing, medical coverage for their partner, Canada Pension benefits when one partner dies and on & on. Did straight people get beat up coming out of drinking establishments by the police and by other heterosexuals for decades because they have sex with someone of the opposite sex? Gay people sure did. Our communities around the world have had to fight for basic human rights - like not getting the sh*t kicked out of us for being in a legal bath house or nightclub. Gay marches and protests turned into larger marches and finally into "Pride" events - all organized by members of gay communities around the globe to celebrate who we are and not to hide in the "closet" any longer. To be "Proud".
If heterosexuals would like to have a straight parade, organize it. I'll come, watch and support you.

Who is stopping them? IF you want a parade about your sexuality, start one. (It might be fun and very successful)

Straight people do have Caribana but besides that, I guess straight people don't want a sexy parade or else they'd have one. Brazil has Carnival, New Orleans has Mardi Gras, so it's not like all straight people don't have wild, sexy parades. You also have the Love Parade, in Europe, which is also pretty sexual. Yep, even straight people like a bit of sex mixed into their parades. Hey, look around in the straight world and tell me where you don't see sex? Sex sells and it's incorporated into EVERYTHING, so why should a gay parade be any different? It's the reality of the world today, so to sit on your high horse and be judgemental, is just a bit hypocritical.

When you get sex out of the internet, then we'll worry about getting sex out of our parade.

Last edited:
"Gay pride? What about straight pride?" The classic conservative-yahoo retort. (Oblivious to the fact that these days, Pride has practically come to encompass straight pride as well. Yeah, maybe it emerged from a queer seed; but so did so much Broadway and Hollywood entertainment, etc)

Back