News   May 17, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 987     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 8K     9 

Roads: Traffic catch all

I can totally believe it. I've tried many times and have simply come to the conclusion that even though the highway might be very slow, at least you're moving. If you're on a secondary or local road, one traffic light will set you back a minute or so. This is a whole minute where you could be crawling along smoothly. The detours are usually complete with random driving behaviours and unexpected maneuvers which add to the stress. I've since surrendered to the fact that slow and steady is better than driving quickly a whole block only to idle at a red light.

Converting some two-way streets in the city to one-way could help improve traffic flow and reduce the amount of time drivers are delayed at red lights. Many studies have found that one-way streets help increase the average speed of traffic.

I was going east on Sheppard turning left/north onto Bayview. Tons of other cars were making the same turn, huge line up in the left turn lane.

The traffic signal didn't have a left turn phase, so only a couple of cars could turn each cycle. So it took 5-10 minutes to make the turn.. crazy long.

:D

eZcmRN8.jpg

I believe Toronto has only 3 signalized intersections where intersecting one-way roads cross. For a city of it's size and density, it's somewhat amazing Toronto doesn't have more one-way streets. You obviously don't get the same left-turn/opposing through conflicts on a one-way street.

Less flood-prone DVP is doable, but costly

Read More: http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2014/07/04/less_floodprone_dvp_is_doable_but_costly.html

Motorists already frustrated with traffic and roadwork may have to face even more construction and costs if they want an end to constant flooding on the Don Valley Parkway. Raising the DVP, some say, would help prevent flooding from the Don River that has sometimes left abandoned cars and infuriated commuters in its wake. But it would also generate new headaches for drivers fed up by road closures near the lakeshore and two years of promised construction gridlock on the Gardiner Expressway.

- Also under consideration are measures such as installing check valves, creating reservoirs, widening or deepening channels and building flood walls. Of those options, TRCA senior manager of flood and risk management infrastructure Laurian Farrell says “the best solution would be to raise the road.†“Raising the road would be most effective, because to build a floodwall along the river would require space and create problems with drainage,†she says. If the city and TRCA decide on that solution, traffic will need to be rerouted and wildlife protected during construction. The cost “could likely be tens, potentially hundreds of millions of dollars, depending on how far of a length we have to modify.â€

flood4.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

I noticed something today that I have probably driven by hundreds of times and not noticed and it made me chuckle.

Lakeshore Eastbound....the set of lights at the east end of the Ex/Ontario Place (Newfoundland Road going into the Ex and Ontario Place Blvd going into OP)......there is a beautiful, smooth, long left hand turn lane....at the end of the left hand turn lane attached to the lights is a very prominent (not sure how I missed it before prominent) no left turn sign!

It sure baffled the dump truck today (which in truth is probably the only reason I did notice it today).

I noticed something today that I have probably driven by hundreds of times and not noticed and it made me chuckle.

Lakeshore Eastbound....the set of lights at the east end of the Ex/Ontario Place (Newfoundland Road going into the Ex and Ontario Place Blvd going into OP)......there is a beautiful, smooth, long left hand turn lane....at the end of the left hand turn lane attached to the lights is a very prominent (not sure how I missed it before prominent) no left turn sign!

It sure baffled the dump truck today (which in truth is probably the only reason I did notice it today).
As far as I know you can normally turn left there.

Is that just temporary because all the barriers are up now for the Toronto Indy next week, so there's no point turning left there? Which may explain why you haven't seen it before ...

As far as I know you can normally turn left there.

Is that just temporary because all the barriers are up now for the Toronto Indy next week, so there's no point turning left there? Which may explain why you haven't seen it before ...

Once I noticed it, the no left turn signal certainly did not look brand new..although, as I said, I can't tell you when it went in. The barriers for the Indy are broken at that point to allow traffic in and out of OP and, presumably, out of the Ex.

Once I noticed it, the no left turn signal certainly did not look brand new..although, as I said, I can't tell you when it went in. The barriers for the Indy are broken at that point to allow traffic in and out of OP and, presumably, out of the Ex.
Odd, I don't recall it. And I can see cars turning there in Streetview.

It's a signal? Not a sign? If it's a sign, I suspect it goes up every year. There's big white turn arrows on the road, right? Perhaps I'm not thinking of the right place?

Odd, I don't recall it. And I can see cars turning there in Streetview.

It's a signal? Not a sign? If it's a sign, I suspect it goes up every year. There's big white turn arrows on the road, right? Perhaps I'm not thinking of the right place?

It's a sign attached to a signal (if that makes sense) and if it goes up every year that might explain why it does not look "new"......yes, there are multiple big white arrows on the road that were just repainted with the very fast resurfacing that took place recently.

You may be right that it is an annual thing for Indy that I have never noticed but I still don't understand it. Prior to the event (ie now) the barrier is not there and the left hand turn is still doable in as safe a manner as the one at Ontario Drive (where BMO Field is) and once we get to next weekend, the barrier will be complete so anyone foolish enough to think they can make a left hand turn in front of Indy cars would have a physical deterrent in the form of a concrete block.

Anyway, it just struck me as funny to see/notice this lovely left hand turn lane with the no left hand turn sign at the end. Oxymoronic things always make me laugh.

EDIT: I meant to say, also, if it is temporary I think putting cones or some other blockage, in that left hand turn lane would be a good idea. The sign saying no left hand turn (as the dump truck driver found out today) is only really prominent once you get to the end of the turn lane....then you have to back up traffic while you try and get back into the lane you were originally in before the empty pavement of the turn lane enticed you over!

Last edited:
Anyway, it just struck me as funny to see/notice this lovely left hand turn lane with the no left hand turn sign at the end. Oxymoronic things always make me laugh.
it does seem bizarre. I'll have to keep my eyes open the next time I go past. Perhaps there's two different unionized employees to put up the sign, and put out cones ... :)

Back