News   Jul 15, 2024
 323     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 468     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Roads: Six Points Interchange Reconfiguration (City of Toronto, UC)

Well, this new road configuration is already a failure in my book. It's taking over 20 minutes just for buses to exit Islington Station and clear the new Bloor-Dundas intersection. Holy hell!
Objectives met:
  1. More reason to move Mississauga buses to Kipling.
  2. Makes cycling faster than any other road vehicles in this stretch.
  3. Even walking is competitive - google shows the walk to be 23min from Islington to just before Auckland.

Feb 28
Most of the sidewalk on the New Dundas and other areas are snow cover.. This also apply to cycling trail.

Need duel turning lanes going west at Bloor/Dundas intersection.

The Bloor flyover bridge over Dundas is gone. All roadwork on both side of the existing Kipling bridge being removed. Asphalt on the bridges being remove as well.

Mississauga Transit would see about 2 minutes added to it trips from Islington and about the same going east. Would have next to no impact on traffic if they stay at Islington than doing the move to Kipling.

Lots of drives have no idea what to do going west on Bloor at the new intersection.

Saw a lot of drivers turning right onto Dunbloor who they think they could turn left onto Dundas, only to find out they couldn't.

Need a lot more of turning lanes sign

Well hopefully this doesn't continue to be the mess it is. If it does, it just opens the door for more ardent pro-car politicians to get votes out of this.

The war on the car will continue to fail as long as we don't have proper public transit and force people to continue to drive.

The one serious thing needing correction so far is on eastbound Dundas, right by Six Points Plaza. The three eastbound lanes reduce to two lanes, but the road is so torn up that there are no lane markings indicating which lanes merge and where. Very nearly got sideswiped there today. I have no idea if I was in the proper lane - or if the other car was out of their lane.

- Paul

You're proclaiming it a "failure" when they haven't even opened up half of the new road network?

Dan

The planners should have put more thought into signal priority at the new intersections (Bloor-Dundas and Dundas-Kipling) and things could've ran a lot smoother. Thankfully I wasn't going somewhere important at the time but imagine if someone was trying to get to work on time and encountered that backlog? They'd be justified in my book to be a little upset, no.

The planners should have put more thought into signal priority at the new intersections (Bloor-Dundas and Dundas-Kipling) and things could've ran a lot smoother. Thankfully I wasn't going somewhere important at the time but imagine if someone was trying to get to work on time and encountered that backlog? They'd be justified in my book to be a little upset, no.
As the area is still not finished I wonder if they have actually activated any signal priority stuff yet. From what I have seen elsewhere, the City likes to do this kind of tweaking all at once.

Last edited:
It's TO and not somewhere with brains for these things. Typical excuses: too complex or interference blah blah blah. If they ever do it right, it'll come with a photo ops giving themselves a pat on the back for something so trivial. It's like any project in transportation messing up is the norm. It's not normal if they get it right on the first try. (end of rant. sorry)

Reading the comments here and elsewhere about the delays in the area, I don't disagree that things suck there right now. No one is going anywhere fast, at least not during the daylight hours.

But to call it a "failure" when quite literally 50% of the project hasn't been built yet is a bit hasty.

Dan

Reading the comments here and elsewhere about the delays in the area, I don't disagree that things suck there right now. No one is going anywhere fast, at least not during the daylight hours.

But to call it a "failure" when quite literally 50% of the project hasn't been built yet is a bit hasty.

Dan

The end of last week and today were already better than Tuesday, Wednesday last week.

Agree, and I’d say we are closer to 20% completion than 50%.

The interesting thing will be how traffic patterns change after it’s done. For example, the old cloverleafs fed westbound Bloor traffic onto Dundas, and it took work to get back up to Bloor, so one often just carried on along Dundas. The new arrangement will make it easier to stay on Bloor, which could boost volumes on Bloor west of Kipling. North-South sidestreets such as Shaver may see much different volumes. Where the winners and losers may be, I won’t predict, but it will be different.

The more I use the new road, evem with its lack of finish, the more I like it, and the more I admit my original apprehensions about traffic were extreme.

The biggest thing is..... the form of the development, and not the form of the road, is what will make or break thenew city center. We need to be watching this carefully, and creating lots of noise if the planned building projects don’t set a high standard. The big battle is just starting.

- Paul

Last edited:

Back