News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 610     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 294     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Highway 4/401 cloverleaf rebuild to start next year.

This should also allow for 6-laning the 401 in west London so it matches the widening they're doing by adding a concrete barrier towards Windsor.

https://www.hwy401coltalbot.com/

dd7750_add4cd72fee64899860306f28808abf3~mv2.jpg

Last cloverleaf on the provincial highway network I believe. Only one left in Ontario is the Lawrence Rd interchange on the DVP.

The Colonel Talbot Road and Dorchester Road interchanges are also some of the last in SW Ontario with the original historic overpasses. Replacement of both should start at a similar time, and at the end of it, we will have all modern overpasses on the 401 in SW Ontario from Windsor to at least Woodstock (there might be a few more old overpass structures between here and the GTA but I can't remember).

Last edited:
Preferred alignment for the Highway 6 widening here:

No real surprises here - parclo at Book Rd, trumpet at the Airport, and retains the intersection with Upper James more or less as it already is.

Only thing that really surprises me is increasing the radius of the 6W - 403N ramp. Figured that they would just have kept it as it's a pretty marginal improvement over the existing condition for its cost.

1694712464558.png

Only thing that really surprises me is increasing the radius of the 6W - 403N ramp. Figured that they would just have kept it as it's a pretty marginal improvement over the existing condition for its cost.

I wonder if this includes widening the 403 between Highway 6 and the Linc. This stretch is only 4 lanes and is very congested with a lot of people weaving in and out as a lot of traffic enters and exits the 403 here. An auxiliary lane, 6 lanes, or even 6 plus an auxiliary running between these two interchanges would help organize exiting vs through traffic here better.

Agreed. It would be a very simple, inexpensive fix as no structures would be effected - it's really only a couple hundred metres of grading and asphalt.

There are a few places around the Hamilton area which could see some simple fixes with a new auxiliary lane here or lane extension there with pretty minimal cost and which would improve travel times substantially.

Paywall free: https://archive.ph/UZTXk

When we were shopping for a new car a few years ago I had four requirements:
  1. Must not be a make/brand that includes a vehicle on the lists of top stolen vehicles.
  2. Must have a physical, metal ignition key.
  3. Must have a manual transmission.
  4. Must have an ignition immobilizer
#1 meant that Toyota/Lexus, Honda (+Acura), Chevrolet (+GMC/Buick/Cadillac), Dodge (+Chrysler/Jeep/Fiat) Hyundai (+Kia), and Mercedes were out; while BMW, VW, Subaru, Mazda, Mitsubishi and Nissan were in, each with limited manual transmission options in 2019/2020. We did find a vehicle that meets the above four criteria and we’re now at least statistically safer. We never bother to hide the VIN, but we do have a physical steering wheel lock and faraday box for the car keys/fobs.

My cousin did the same thing. Bought a base-trim Nissan Qashqai with manual transmission. While it might not be my choice, but no one wants to steal that for anything buy joy riding.

Last edited:
Acura (touch wood) seems to lead a sainted life to date. And the problem of theft is not just linked to car theft. At the farm, beyond lights and cameras, we‘ve installed GPS trackers on every thing with wheels, sometimes with hooves, and invested in other deterrent devices as police response is so slow. Farm theft continues to escalate and leaving equipment and livestock in remote fields is an increasing risk.

Farm theft continues to escalate and leaving equipment and livestock in remote fields is an increasing risk.

Keeping track of the number of locks is becoming a challenge, and changing old habits is another.

Paywall free: https://archive.ph/UZTXk

When we were shopping for a new car a few years ago I had four requirements:
  1. Must not be a make/brand that includes a vehicle on the lists of top stolen vehicles.
  2. Must have a physical, metal ignition key.
  3. Must have a manual transmission.
  4. Must have an ignition immobilizer
#1 meant that Toyota/Lexus, Honda (+Acura), Chevrolet (+GMC/Buick/Cadillac), Dodge (+Chrysler/Jeep/Fiat) Hyundai (+Kia), and Mercedes were out; while BMW, VW, Subaru, Mazda, Mitsubishi and Nissan were in, each with limited manual transmission options in 2019/2020. We did find a vehicle that meets the above four criteria and we’re now at least statistically safer. We never bother to hide the VIN, but we do have a physical steering wheel lock and faraday box for the car keys/fobs.

My cousin did the same thing. Bought a base-trim Nissan Qashqai with manual transmission. While it might not be my choice, but no one wants to steal that for anything buy joy riding.
Did you consider absolute number of thefts or relative number of thefts? For example, if 100 Lexus cars are sold every year and 50 get stolen, it's much more at risk than, let's say, a Honda which sells 100,000 vehicles every year with 500 getting stolen.

Back