News   Apr 23, 2024
 141     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 640     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 428     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Nope. No widening, no concrete median.

Seems like a waste - may as well use the rebuild as an opportunity to upgrade the thing.

Thanks

I was going by what the locals told me since they are piss off that they are spending an extra 10-30 minutes in travel time each way, depending on the day and time. I guess they are hoping that there will be 6 lanes and a concrete median after 6 years and fully agree.

Having median Wire is not going to do much in the long run.

They are tic off having the road close when someone ends up in the median and kill. One took place a week ago.

I always found it strange that there is 6 lanes east of the 401/402 and west of Tilbury, yet not between them, considering the amount of traffic (trucks) on it.

It was nice to see the asphalt replace with concrete west of Tilbury since you would have ruts within months of the repaving or a year, especially the right lane from trucks. Then adding the 3rd to the 403 cut off, but time for a 4th.

Heading home today, only 2 lanes east of London going eastbound, with work getting ready to make the westbound 3 lanes to 2.

The new bridge for Woodstock is wide enough for 4/5 lanes in each direction, as well having a higher clearance that is long over due. I expect this will happen to all bridges and long over due.

Stop off in Hamilton and the signs said the QEW to Fort Erie was block in both directions at X with the traffic going south at a stand still at Brant St. When I got on the westbound QEW again a couple hours later, still a stand still and coming to a stop around Kerr St in Oakville. Very few options getting around this mess.

Stop off in Hamilton and the signs said the QEW to Fort Erie was block in both directions at X with the traffic going south at a stand still at Brant St. When I got on the westbound QEW again a couple hours later, still a stand still and coming to a stop around Kerr St in Oakville. Very few options getting around this mess.

On 401 EB just before the 403 split in Woodstock, an information sign was installed letting you know about travel times.

This helps you decide whether to take the 401 or 403 to Greater Toronto if there is a backup on one of them. It's a welcome addition!

BzMgybW.jpg

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.1049...4!1sMnLOD0YGSk4VyqpxEBtr2w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

On 401 EB just before the 403 split in Woodstock, an information sign was installed letting you know about travel times.

This helps you decide whether to take the 401 or 403 to Greater Toronto if there is a backup on one of them.

BzMgybW.jpg

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.1049...4!1sMnLOD0YGSk4VyqpxEBtr2w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
I saw that on my way home and it said normal time to Hamilton and Guelph, but saw nothing for the QEW at 9:15 am. Then I wasn't going to Fort Erie.

Have seen these in a number of locations on the highways and a good thing to have.

The usefulness of that sign would be better if it said times to downtown Toronto rather than Guelph/Hamilton. Congestion starts at 6/Lincoln Alexander.

The Toronto Region Board of Trade is calling for a vertical expansion of Highway 401 near Toronto Pearson International Airport to help alleviate gridlock.

https://www.680news.com/2018/06/26/highway-401-ease-gridlock-board-trade/

-----

At the 427 for instance, the 401 goes from 18 to 10 lanes (and just 8 under the 427) as the collector lanes end. If a new viaduct was built to extend the collector lanes between Highways 427 and 409, you would eliminate this bottleneck.

My suggestions on this section of road:

- remove Dixon/Martin Grove off-ramp WB & on-ramp EB. Only a 2 minute drive to the 409 as an alternative.
- consider diverting all 427 NB traffic onto 27/409 to get to 401 EB (with upgrades to 27).

These changes would probably add 1+ lanes of capacity WB and a marginal improvement EB.

This section of the 401 never goes green on google maps during the entire day - and I think the ROW is maxed out. So a short bi-level section makes sense here.

One reason why the Eglinton Crosstown LRT and the Finch West LRT should be extended to the Pearson Transit Hub. To provide less reliance on the automobile for commuting and travel to & from the airport.

The usefulness of that sign would be better if it said times to downtown Toronto rather than Guelph/Hamilton. Congestion starts at 6/Lincoln Alexander.
I think it's a comparison between getting to exit 295 on the 401 vs. the Linc via 403. Quite useful during night time construction on the 401 - assuming the sign remains active at night.

Any detour for the 401 in that stretch is likely going to be longer than sticking out the delay caused by road work. The highway cuts up a diagonal with only 3 exits in 30 km (238/250/268) and not necessarily an easy path between them.

Back