News   Jul 15, 2024
 18     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 317     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 531     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

New "dumbbell" interchange at Highway 401/Highway 19 in Ingersoll. It replaces a regular diamond interchange that was modified from the cloverleaf originally built.

The first, I believe, in Ontario, though there are a few in Quebec.

IMG_2799-002.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2799-002.JPG
    IMG_2799-002.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 733
That’s a much smarter design than having two lights over a highway. With this traffic is slowed but doesn’t have to stop most of the time.

New "dumbbell" interchange at Highway 401/Highway 19 in Ingersoll. It replaces a regular diamond interchange that was modified from the cloverleaf originally built.

Interesting setup. Further west there's big time construction at Highbury in London. Are they doing the same thing there too?

Interesting setup. Further west there's big time construction at Highbury in London. Are they doing the same thing there too?

I don't know about Highbury (former 126), I used that interchange a few weeks ago and it's not under construction. The Veterans Memorial Parkway (formerly Airport Road, formerly Highway 100) is closed though as the trumpet interchange is replaced by a parclo; VMP is being extended south to Wilton Grove.

View attachment 122627
7th Street just west of St. Catharines has a slightly different version. Interesting, they took out the NB to WB (Toronto Bound) and SB to EB ramps and force them 270 degrees through the roundabout. It might make some sense on the EB ramp, since it maybe removes some of the lane transfers close to the 406 ramps.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.1796469,-79.3077925,974m/data=!3m1!1e3

The old NB-EB on-ramp was a bit deceiving because although it started out like a regular on-ramp, it did a very, somewhat unexpected, sharp turn. They've moved this turn into part of the roundabout, which, by it's nature, forces people to slow naturally.

The Holt Rd. interchange with the 401 just west of Bowmanville was reconfigured to this design with the last couple of years.

Not quite a complete "bar-bell" but similar.

I'm a little surprised that Holt Road even got a new interchange. The only trip generator is the Darlington plant, and it's accessible via the Waverley Road exit as well.

Nothing on Highbury right now, but the Veterans Memorial Parkway (VMP) exit to the east is being expanded:
http://hwy401vmp.ca/

It's only partially open now.

Once complete it will change from a free-flowing trumpet to a double-stoplight parclo, actually kind of a downgrade.

-----

The Highbury interchange is planned to be reconstructed however. 401 is planned to get widened from VMP to Wellington and that requires a new overpass at Highbury and underpass over CNR tracks.

It's long overdue as the former cloverleaf has tight ramp geometry, especially since some of the traffic is going 100km/h+ on the expressway portion of Highbury has to heavily brake to use them.

I believe the only work done on it was removing 2 loop ramps and digging out the overpass approaches to squeeze 2 more lanes in. You can see that here:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.9366...4!1sQpNk8AwTtnCQvSJSfQQvdg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Last edited:
Nothing on Highbury right now, but the Veterans Memorial Parkway (VMP) exit to the east is being expanded:
http://hwy401vmp.ca/

It's only partially open now.

Once complete it will change from a free-flowing trumpet to a double-stoplight parclo, actually kind of a downgrade.

VMP will go both North and South of 401 (currently it only goes North). I believe they want to expand the industrial park to the south of the 401 in the long-term.

VMP will go both North and South of 401 (currently it only goes North). I believe they want to expand the industrial park to the south of the 401 in the long-term.

I wonder if they'd extend 402 eastward to tie-into this VMP south extension. I believe the SW fringe of London is to see big subdivisions in the next few years, which may be one reason for the newish 401/Wonderland ramp. Add in an expanded industrial park in the SE, both Highbury and VMP south extensions, and a 402 extension connecting them, then this new area of London would be the most freeway-heavy.

I wonder if they'd extend 402 eastward to tie-into this VMP south extension. I believe the SW fringe of London is to see big subdivisions in the next few years, which may be one reason for the newish 401/Wonderland ramp. Add in an expanded industrial park in the SE, both Highbury and VMP south extensions, and a 402 extension connecting them, then this new area of London would be the most freeway-heavy.

Why would Highway 402 be extended east through the south of London? London isn't growing fast either - the warehouses and light industry in these industrial areas by the 401 at best make up for some of the jobs lost at major employers like Kellogg's, Ford, Electromotive, etc. At most, there will be eight lanes between VMP and 402 on the 401.

Prequalified Teams Selected for Highway 401 Expansion Project
September 29, 2017
Three teams are prequalified to design, build and finance the Highway 401 Expansion project.

Teams were selected based on their construction capability, experience, qualified personnel and financial capacity to deliver a project of this size and scope. They include:

Blackbird Infrastructure Group

• Dufferin Construction Company
  • Ferrovial Agroman Canada Inc.
  • Klohn Crippen Berger Ltd.
  • TD Securities
LINK401

• Dragados Canada Inc.
  • Brennan Infrastructures Inc.
  • Bot Infrastructure Ltd.
  • WSP Canada Group Limited
  • ACS Infrastructure Canada Inc.
  • Stonebridge Financial Corporation
West Corridor Constructors

• Aecon Infrastructure Management Inc.
  • Amico Design Build Inc.
  • Parsons Inc.
  • National Bank Financial Inc.
A request for proposals is expected to be released in fall 2017.

Visit here to learn more about the Highway 401 Expansion project.

A pipe dream would have the 402 curve south-southwest of the 401 and head towards St. Thomas. As described by @ShonTron, this isn't necessary. London's urban growth boundary doesn't go much further south than 402 / 401 so a second parallel freeway is not needed, especially considering the slow-ish growth of the region (at least compared to Greater Toronto)

LDI_Combined_Board04.jpg

Full size http://www.londondev.ca/Art/LDI_Combined_Board04.jpg

-----

Highway 401 Expansion Project
I'd also assume there would be projects in the works to fill in the widening projects in Kitchener (Hwy 8), Cambridge (Hwy 24), Guelph (Hwy 6) and Milton too. Maybe 8+2 HOV minimum from Hwy 8 to Hwy 407 ETR?

Why would Highway 402 be extended east through the south of London? London isn't growing fast either - the warehouses and light industry in these industrial areas by the 401 at best make up for some of the jobs lost at major employers like Kellogg's, Ford, Electromotive, etc. At most, there will be eight lanes between VMP and 402 on the 401.
The bridges are being built for 10 lanes.

Back