News   May 06, 2024
 449     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 663     1 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Here's a timelapse driving video I made showing ongoing construction of the Highway 401 extension in Windsor:

[video=youtube;y7LSnG-1VCk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=y7LSnG-1VCk[/video]

Further down the road: The Windsor-Tilbury stretch. The new extension will connect to this 6-lane concrete freeway:

[video=youtube;Mbv3EAYBDnI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbv3EAYBDnI[/video]

I made this timelapse drive of the 401 on a Saturday at noon hour, trying to show the expansive highway but got stuck in traffic near the 427.

As an out-of-towner, I have no idea how people drive on the 401 every day, especially at rush hour.

[video=youtube;miErXMuzxAA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miErXMuzxAA[/video]

Ontario news release from this morning:
Premier Kathleen Wynne visited Conair/Cuisinart Consumer Products in Vaughan today, where she announced the government's commitment to extend Highway 427 to Major Mackenzie Drive, connecting communities and supporting thousands of jobs throughout York Region.

The 6.6 kilometre extension is included in the 2013 Budget. It is part of the government's commitment to make smart infrastructure investments across the province. This extension would help create jobs and strengthen the economy by helping goods and people to move more efficiently.

Investing in modern infrastructure is part of the government's six-point strategy to create jobs, help Ontario create a competitive business environment and help people in their everyday lives.

QUICK FACTS

If the Budget bill is passed and proclaimed, construction on the Highway 427 extension would begin in 2016/17.
The project includes three new interchanges, nine bridges and protection for a future transitway and transit stations along the west side of the highway.
Since 2003, the government has invested approximately $85 billion in public infrastructure.
Planned investments in Ontario’s highways support more than 25,000 jobs on average in each of the next three years.
The Conference Board of Canada recently found that each $100 million of public infrastructure investment in Ontario boosts GDP by $114 million, particularly in the construction and manufacturing sectors.

The project includes three new interchanges, nine bridges and protection for a future transitway and transit stations along the west side of the highway.

What's the point of protecting a transitway corridor for a highway that will end at Major Mackenzie, with nothing but greenbelt north of that?

Great video, Haljackey.

I was at the 401 last saturday at noon and it was even more congested than that! Every time I take one of the 400 highways I need a couple of days to recover from the mild depression that ensues.

The Gardiner is bearable because every once in a while you get a glimpse of the lake, parks, etc, and the skyline views are great. Same is true for the DVP.

I have to agree with transportfan here. I'd like to see them explore provision bus bypass shoulders instead, since I don't think there would be any reason for a bus to leave the highway in the area of the extension and it would reduce the capital cost of expropriation.

What's the point of protecting a transitway corridor for a highway that will end at Major Mackenzie, with nothing but greenbelt north of that?

My guess is that the transitway (not needed, IMO) would connect with the planned 407 transitway, sending GO buses from Bolton and maybe northeast Brampton to the 407 Transitway station on the Spadina subway. Given how wide MTO right-of-ways are these days, it's not hard to protect those lands. You never know what they could be useful for in the future!

More from the provincial government today:
News Release
Highway Improvements Underway in Greater Toronto Area

May 17, 2013

Ontario Government Creating Jobs, Building a Stronger Economy

Ontario is making major improvements to the province's highways, roads and bridges, which is supporting more than 20,000 construction jobs and making travel easier for families and businesses.

Key highway improvements in the Greater Toronto Area include:

Replacing pavement and repairing 14 bridges along Highway 401 westbound collector lanes from Keele Street to Kipling Avenue in Toronto
Repairing six bridges within the Highway 401/400 interchange in Toronto
Resurfacing six kilometres of Highway 401 from Renforth Drive to Highway 410 in Mississauga
Repairing eight bridges along Highway 403 -- four in both in Mississauga and Burlington
Repairing three bridges along the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) in Hamilton
Investing in modern infrastructure is part of the government's plan to create jobs, help Ontario seize new opportunities for economic growth and help people in their everyday lives.

Replacing pavement and repairing 14 bridges along Highway 401 westbound collector lanes from Keele Street to Kipling Avenue in Toronto
Repairing six bridges within the Highway 401/400 interchange in Toronto
Resurfacing six kilometres of Highway 401 from Renforth Drive to Highway 410 in Mississauga
Repairing eight bridges along Highway 403 -- four in both in Mississauga and Burlington
Repairing three bridges along the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) in Hamilton

Blah...nothing but repair work projects in that announcement.

Blah...nothing but repair work projects in that announcement.

Ya, I wish work on the 401 in Mississauga continued westward as soon as the Hurontario project is completed.

-----

Made a timelapse of the 401 at night in Toronto. Moves a lot faster at midnight compared to noon hour!

[video=youtube;LlLrbVh0yas]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlLrbVh0yas[/video]

My guess is that the transitway (not needed, IMO) would connect with the planned 407 transitway, sending GO buses from Bolton and maybe northeast Brampton to the 407 Transitway station on the Spadina subway. Given how wide MTO right-of-ways are these days, it's not hard to protect those lands. You never know what they could be useful for in the future!
The idea of a transitway south of Hwy 7 to the 407 transitway next to the 427 has been planned. I think the idea is if the 427 eventually swings to Bolton, the transitway would transport north-south along that corridor, considering a GO carpool lot at Nashville Road has been discussed.

Can anyone tell me what the anticipated opening date is for the new express lanes to Hurontario? They seem to have been on the cusp of finishing them for an eternity now.

Can anyone tell me what the anticipated opening date is for the new express lanes to Hurontario? They seem to have been on the cusp of finishing them for an eternity now.

I believe it will be by September.

Back