News   Jul 15, 2024
 372     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 504     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

I believe the links will be tolled. The West Durham Link though could be really useful as a "Highway 412", and I think there's merit to extending it past 407 East, perhaps as an at-grade highway, around Brooklin to connect with Highway 12. I think the WDL should be free and provide this sort of real north-south service.

I want Hwy 412 to basically be the eastern version of Highway 410, where it eventually connects with Hwy 12 north of 407.

Last edited:
I believe I stand super corrected.
In fairness, I hadn't seen such a clear statement on this until I went looking for it this morning. I think it's a fairly new statement. Everything I recall from before had addressed the main line 407 East extension but was murky on the Links.

With that, does anyone want to bet that the two links will be designated 407A and 407B? It seems simpler than using new highway numbers that would also have to enter the public consciousness as toll roads.

With that, does anyone want to bet that the two links will be designated 407A and 407B? It seems simpler than using new highway numbers that would also have to enter the public consciousness as toll roads.
Number wise, I'd think they'd be 407 and 407 (with the main highway being 407).

I haven't looked at this in a while. Opening in 2015?! According to the website, construction starting in Winter 2013. So has it started? Winter 2013 is almost over.

Number wise, I'd think they'd be 407 and 407 (with the main highway being 407).
Is there a typo here? It's hard to imagine the main 407 and two north south connectors would all be given identical numbers... :)

I haven't looked at this in a while. Opening in 2015?! According to the website, construction starting in Winter 2013. So has it started? Winter 2013 is almost over.

They've been doing site prep including archaeology over the winter, with heavy construction starting in the next month or two. I know there's closures on Dundas Street ("Highway 2") in Whitby in the next week or so, in the area where the west link will cross Dundas.

Last edited:
Is there a typo here? It's hard to imagine the main 407 and two north south connectors would all be given identical numbers... :)
I doubt they'll be given any numbers other than 407, with perhaps the two link roads simply being given names (407 West Link? ... 407 Whitby Link?
407 Clarington Link?). 407 is the brand, I doubt it will be diluted. Though I'd think how they want to deal with the tolling and how much say 407ETR gets on it will be a factor.

They've been doing site prep including archaeology over the winter, with heavy construction starting in the next month or two. I know there's closures on Dundas Street ("Highway 2") in Whitby in the next week or so, in the area where the west link will cross Dundas.
And so it begins.

I doubt they'll be given any numbers other than 407, with perhaps the two link roads simply being given names (407 West Link? ... 407 Whitby Link?
407 Clarington Link?). 407 is the brand, I doubt it will be diluted. Though I'd think how they want to deal with the tolling and how much say 407ETR gets on it will be a factor.

Highway 400 was a "brand" when it opened as a fast route to cottage country, but the 400-series highways all have their own numbers. If there's an indentifying feature of any 407-type toll highway, it would be "ETR", and the use of distinctive blue signs.

Highway 400 was a "brand" when it opened as a fast route to cottage country, but the 400-series highways all have their own numbers. If there's an indentifying feature of any 407-type toll highway, it would be "ETR", and the use of distinctive blue signs.
That belongs to the company though ... and it's not quite the same company that has the franchise for the 407 extension.

If it's all going to be "407", it reminds me of how the 420 into Niagara Falls was once *also* called (by way of tributary) the QEW...

This system would be predicated on the express lanes of the 401 and 427 being tolled, but perhaps a system like this could work for identifying tolled vs non-tolled: Blue highway signs denote tolled, green signs denote free. It would mean the sign colours currently on the 401 would need to be flipped, but hey.

That way you wouldn't need to worry so much about the 407 "brand", and you could identify whether or not a highway is tolled simply by the colour of the signage used either on that highway itself, or the signage for it on other highways.

This would become especially useful when road tolls hit a lot of the highways in the GTHA. There will need to be a uniform system for identifying tolled highways.

Back