News   Apr 29, 2024
 384     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 551     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 3K     7 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Neat - first I've heard of a western freeway corridor for London.
I had heard of it in the past, but had never seen any formal planning documentation or maps for the corridor until I started digging around for it.

Great info, thanks for sharing!

Ya the western freeway was a thing, not sure if it still is as there hasn't been any news on it for at least a decade.

The VMP upgrade at the 401 even in these plans replaced the free-flowing 401 EB to VMP NB connection with a stoplight. That's a downgrade in my mind and I almost always hit a red here (same with 401 EB to Highbury NB, also being kept as part of that interchange rebuild).

I can tell you locally that ALL the planned 6 lane road widenings have been either delayed indefinitely or outright cancelled. The one exception is the Fanshawe and Richmond intersection, which is currently being rebuilt to contain a short extra lane mostly for buses, right turns and access to various malls/strip malls surrounding it.

Most of the 4 lane widenings have been cancelled too. Adelaide Street North for example got canned due to it not being in line with the city's self-declared climate emergency. That's also one of the main reasons with the 6-laning of Wonderland road failed to pass. (Induced demand, just one more lane bro too)

We may be lucky to see interchanges on the VMP by the 2070s... maybe by then the 401 interchange can be expanded to support free movements.

A north freeway was not part of any plans because even back in 2001 the city was close to developing all the land at it's northern city limit. Today it's pretty much all sprawl. A north route would have to be built by Middlesex country, or the province, or a future regional municipality or possibly the City of London itself if it's borders could be expanded further north.

Regarding rapid transit, I am actually surprised something got greenlit after nearly all the freeway projects in the 50s and 60s got blocked (Highbury stubway was the only result). I am hopeful that more routes can be built once what's been approved is finished... But that will rely heavily on funds elsewhere as cost overruns for the BRT has made the city flat broke. Many infrastructure projects that were planned to start this year have been delayed or shelved due to lack of funds.

The city was targeting ~1% yearly growth in these plans from the 2000s. Since London's growth rate was 10% between the two most recent censuses, it's actually about 2.5% year over year, 2.5x faster than predicted. Current growth rates are likely much higher. There's just too much for the city to do to try and accommodate this growth and financial issues, inflation, BRT cost overruns, supply and worker shortages have really strained the city. I guess we'll see just how much of this gets built... but I think a ring road is a pipe dream now.

--

Edit- Posted to the London reddit and some interesting comments there

Last edited:
I wonder if this project will grade separate the CPR crossing at Locust Hill. Currently a very limited rail crossing, however it has the potential of being extremely busy with VIA's HxR and any potential GO Peterborough service.

They may do the EA for it through this project, but I would be surprised if it was tendered with it. MTO would probably want to wait until HFR is more fleshed out before proceeding as the line as it is today sees only a handful of trains a week.

Work is now finally starting on the replacement of the HWY 401 Colonel Talbot Road interchange and Glanworth Drive overpass just west of London. Construction signage is now up, some tree/land clearing has been done, and I observed some machinery out today doing some minor grading east of the existing Glanworth Drive overpass, where the new one is supposed to be located.

Happy to finally see this one going.

Work is now finally starting on the replacement of the HWY 401 Colonel Talbot Road interchange and Glanworth Drive overpass just west of London. Construction signage is now up, some tree/land clearing has been done, and I observed some machinery out today doing some minor grading east of the existing Glanworth Drive overpass, where the new one is supposed to be located.

Happy to finally see this one going.

Interesting! They must have just started up. I drove over the Glanworth overpass after the Eclipse to try and get around some insane traffic south of London- did not see any construction work at all. These country roads were probably the busiest they've ever been. That included a drive on the St. Thomas Expressway that got chronically congested too... the twinning on it would have been helpful on Monday lol

Speaking of old bridges, demo begins today on the Dorchester Road overpass. 401 is closed all weekend and obv some more carnage to get around it.

Interesting! They must have just started up. I drove over the Glanworth overpass after the Eclipse to try and get around some insane traffic south of London- did not see any construction work at all. These country roads were probably the busiest they've ever been. That included a drive on the St. Thomas Expressway that got chronically congested too... the twinning on it would have been helpful on Monday lol

Speaking of old bridges, demo begins today on the Dorchester Road overpass. 401 is closed all weekend and obv some more carnage to get around it.

I’m pretty sure it literally just started lol. I had to go down to Windsor for work yesterday and I drove past all of this on the 401. The signage is all up (including the Ontario - New Interchange signs) but the speed limit reductions are still covered up, so they aren’t into the full swing of activities just yet.

Question for everyone who likes to bring up induced demand (which is somehow a bad thing) When can we expect traffic on the gardiner to equalize now that a long term lane closer has materialized?

Back