News   May 16, 2024
 429     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 536     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 533     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

What, this??
Thought I'd post this in case someone has a visual idea on how to fix this (I don't have a solid one yet).

View attachment 517540

That post is over 13 yrs old! I don't know what I might have been talking about. However I think the main point is that the collector-express system on the 401 breaks down through this stretch creating a bottleneck.

That post is over 13 yrs old! I don't know what I might have been talking about. However I think the main point is that the collector-express system on the 401 breaks down through this stretch creating a bottleneck.
You had been talking about several different potential upgrades for expressways, highways, collectors, etc., and I thought I might post a visual image in the case that someone wants to take it and mark in their own ideas (Maybe they could've done that themselves, but at least it's in file format now already.)

Anyway, the route configuration itself already has issues. Eglinton Ave. and Highway 401 almost merge together, yet they last-minute curve off into different directions. The 427 takes a weird S-bend to the left, then right, and Highway 27 just noses its way into the 427 on the curve. Also, Carlingview Drive wasn't mentioned, but that one merges with the interchange as well.

With that routing system, I personally think that the interchange it has is the best that could be constructed. If any improvements were to be made, you would need to re-route some of the roads entirely, causing even bigger of a hole in the pocketbook.

Unless someone has an idea of how to improve the interchanges without altering the routes?

Last edited:
Anyway, the route configuration itself already has issues. Eglinton Ave. and Highway 401 almost merge together, yet they last-minute curve off into different directions. The 427 takes a weird S-bend to the left, then right, and Highway 27 just noses its way into the 427 on the curve. Also, Carlingview Drive wasn't mentioned, but that one merges with the interchange as well.

With that routing system, I personally think that the interchange it has is the best that could be constructed. If any improvements were to be made, you would need to re-route some of the roads entirely, causing even bigger of a hole in the pocketbook.

Unless someone has an idea of how to improve the interchanges without altering the routes?
I think they're fine. the only problem is the 401 bottleneck under the 427.

I guess I never noted other traffic whenever I went through there; I was only focused on griping about the traffic on the 401 itself.
But anyway, what exactly could we do to minimize that bottlenecked traffic ordeal? My next idea is a different express route, but that may have been discussed already.

But anyway, what exactly could we do to minimize that bottlenecked traffic ordeal?
There’s no flaw significant enough to warrant any reconstruction here. I think traffic in this area is usually just backed up from bad stretches of 401 further eastbound into Toronto and further westbound in the collectors approaching Dixie.

Aside from sheer volume, the biggest source of highway traffic in this area is multi-source multi-destination sections where vehicles will often need to cut across many lanes. Drivers scrambling across lanes occupy more space, usually travel relatively slower to maneuver, and increase the risk of accidents. Though I don’t think more flyovers are the appropriate solution.

401 Examples:
  • Eastbound between 427 and Islington
  • Eastbound collectors approaching Renforth and 427
  • Westbound collectors approaching Dixie, 410, and 403

Aside from sheer volume, the biggest source of highway traffic in this area is multi-source multi-destination sections where vehicles will often need to cut across many lanes. Drivers scrambling across lanes occupy more space, usually travel relatively slower to maneuver, and increase the risk of accidents. Though I don’t think more flyovers are the appropriate solution
So, what you are saying is that it's more on the part of traffic itself, and not necessarily the roadway engineering? If that's the case, I fully understand.
However, I still think that maybe there is a way to dwindle the traffic jams somewhat, but I won't argue any further, as that will cause strife for everyone.

Nov 10
Sometime this month, those who want to use the North Service Road off the QEW at Dixie Ed will be able to do so like they have done it in the past. Only the westbound lane will be open until next year when the new Dixie Rd overpass is open. You will have to cross the new Dixie Rd to get to the North Service Road.

When the new overpass is open, the new off ramp will be open further east than the current one is.

Even with the new off ramp open, traffic will be slow going with the opening of the new off ramp from Dixie Rd to the QEW

Those going eastbound will be able to get off at Dixie Rd than the current Chatraw one as well dealing with the new on ramp for Dixie than the current one that effect traffic to Evan Ave off ramp.

401 under 427 moves fine. Especially westbound. A lot of westbound 401 traffic gets on to the 427, leaving less traffic for the 8 lane section under 427. It's the 10-12 lane section from 427 to 409 that's the bottleneck. You have 401 and 427 bound traffic on just 10 lane cross section.

401 under 427 moves fine. Especially westbound. A lot of westbound 401 traffic gets on to the 427, leaving less traffic for the 8 lane section under 427. It's the 10-12 lane section from 427 to 409 that's the bottleneck. You have 401 and 427 bound traffic on just 10 lane cross section.

I haven't driven it in a while, but you're probably right. It's definitely slowest in that section right before the collector and express re-appear.

That must be during the night as it slow going both direction during the day. At peak time, very slow going. Eastbound starts at the west of the 427 flyover going east and east of 400 for westbound,. Going west starts to open up after you pass the south 427 ramp.

Very rare you can fly though the area in both direction, but does happen.

That must be during the night as it slow going both direction during the day. At peak time, very slow going. Eastbound starts at the west of the 427 flyover going east and east of 400 for westbound,. Going west starts to open up after you pass the south 427 ramp.

Very rare you can fly though the area in both direction, but does happen.
At night, every thing moves fast and it wouldn't make a difference.

Here's the difference in time between two stretches of 401 with exact same length during afternoon peak. First between 427 and 409 with 10-12 lanes and the second through 427 interchange with 8 lanes. You can clearly see that the traffic moves faster in the 8 lane section compared to the wider section east of it.

1.JPG

2.JPG

Here's the difference in time between two stretches of 401 with exact same length during afternoon peak. First between 427 and 409 with 10-12 lanes and the second through 427 interchange with 8 lanes. You can clearly see that the traffic moves faster in the 8 lane section compared to the wider section east of it.

View attachment 519957

View attachment 519958
I believe that would have to do with the airport?

If so, something's really making me look at Eglinton W and Islington, right around that area. Could be nothing can be done on those major streets, but there's something about it that makes me wonder if any of that traffic couldn't be accommodated for on those major roads as a bypass...

View attachment 519957

View attachment 519958

Yeah, that's because of the merging and weaving where the collectors and express split, and then you get the 409 leading on, and then the ramps to Weston Road and the 400 soon after. The 409-400 section is especially prone to collisions.

Yeah, that's because of the merging and weaving where the collectors and express split, and then you get the 409 leading on, and then the ramps to Weston Road and the 400 soon after. The 409-400 section is especially prone to collisions.
Yeah those ramps from the 409 really seem to slow things down.

Back